After A Month Of Vacation, I Cant Do Clears/Drops/Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Matthew Quinn, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Matthew Quinn

Matthew Quinn New Member

A bit about myself first:

In no way would I call myself a good player, but I would consider myself an amateur. I've played for 3 years, and my high school badminton team went on an undefeated streak and won the championships, but that's high school students.

Before I was on vacation, I was able to do excellent drops, and could clear back-court to back-court with ease.

However, the first practice after I come back, I find that I can't do my clears/drops/smashes as usual. It's not that the shots are bad, but I can't even hit the birdie! I keep missing a few inches to the right.

Now, all my other shots are just as good as before. My ability to lift, net shot, serve, drive, and return was unaffected. It's only my clears, drops, and smashes that are failing me.

I'm scared. This has never happened the other times I went on vacation. What could be some possible reasons and solutions? Has anything like this ever happened to you?

dave010 likes this.
  2. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Really not a big deal honestly. I've been a swimmer for longer than I've played badminton, and my problem is actually worse because the muscle memory of my arm is more attuned to freestyle than it is to badminton. Just play a little more and it'll all clear up soon! :)

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Bādminton Probs‏@BaddersProbs 9 Jan 2015
    There are 2 types of people:
    - people who play amazingly after a long break
    And
    - people who play better with their foot after a long break

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As the others said - this is really normal. I play badly after a week of not hitting a shuttle - simply because my timing is off.

Wait until next session, it will be better. However, to help fix it in that session, take the shuttle a little more controlled to begin with, just get used to hitting the shuttle. Don't use much of a backswing - just reach up and push the shuttle over the net, and push them a little faster to hit fast drops. Now just play these shots for a few minutes and gradually try to increase the pace. Then start hitting your other shots.

Good luck!

5. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Hope it is not medical issues. When was the last time you have your eye check? Or is it the lighting issue?

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Just warm up really well next time, do lots of half court, and practise each shot. Get your feel for the shuttle back, then try your luck in games. We have all been there.

7. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

most people play better after vacation

maybe you should seek a doctor