Bruised toe nails from wearing new badminton shoes

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Hitman989, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

I'm not saying you should wear a pair of shoes it's way too large. Just want to make a note that wearing tight-fit shoes to solve the "toe-collision while lunging" issue might cause problem in the heel bone.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I agree with @Scott Kam. If you use to small size for your feet your toes will make contact easily with the front. Especially when you run, the sole curves and the shoe gets shorter. That's an overkill for every toe.

If you need to size down your shoe because at the correct length, the shoe is too wide and you slide, you are looking for the wrong pair of shoes for you. Brands like Victor, Mizuno and Yonex have different width and also different cuts for the toe box. Also the lacing technique can help to prevent sliding, but buying a short shoe in general sounds like a bad idea and is even worse than a slightly bigger pair. If you need shoes you need to accept that your foot can not wear every pair and type. You need to visit a shop and try on different models. Not every guy can wear skinny jeans or slim fit cloth and not everybody can wear a comfort fit cut.

3. Hitman989

Hitman989 Regular Member

I tried with the insole solution and it helped a bit. In the first hour the toes did not slide much. However after the second hour only my big toe felt a little bit sore. Much better than the original situation where 2 toes were bruised and hurt.

dave010 likes this.
  4. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I tried all the major brands already and all the shoes I can get my hands on. The problem is that I wear a B width, and most shoes come in a D or E. I can find narrow widths in running shoes, but not badminton shoes.

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

You can do that lock wherever you want to have a tighter fit. For me it works best somewhere in the middle, but it depends on the shoe.

There are some other styles to keep the laces tighter overall or only in some areas you can try. The lock lacing was tee first I've ever tried and it worked. But here are some more (you can combine some of them too):
    https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Zipper lacing and knotted lacing caught my eye, but I've never tried them.

6. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Good tip, but I'm already doing it :p

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Don't laugh and it's not a joke, better ever tried women's badminton shoes? Normally the female versions are a slimmer cut. I have a male club mate who play in shoes made for females. They fit better, and he normally get better prices than for the male version in the sale.

8. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Ouch. My ego hurts more than my toenails.

Jokes aside, they likely wouldn't provide the kind of cushioning and stability I need for my style of play anyways. I wreck shoes quickly enough as it is and switching to a under built shoe is probably going to make the problem worse.

9. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    extra sock? do go with towelled ones!

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If you look at high end shoes, the techs, sole, stability, cushion etc. is the same. Not all women are elves and a busty 1.80m women weight the same as a 1.75m skinny guy. Just the cut is slightly more narrow. I wear women compression sleeves, because the cut fits better and they come in more fancy colours, too. If your ego is in the way for a solution, your problem is not a real problem. ;) Have you every tried? If not, you can't say that they don't provide that what you need.

11. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher

Yeah! I feel a bit offended! Like women's shoes are built "weaker" or something?! Of course not and to think that that is just silly. Totally not. Just like he said, they are built a bit smaller/narrower, but the materials and strength is the same. The only difference is the fit. Even the colors are the same.They aren't underbuilt compared to men's shoes. Come on now.

As an american in China I weigh more than about 70% of the guys I play with and I go through my women's shoes the same rate they do. Although my problem is I need wider shoes and I can't find that in China cause even with international brands only the small sizes are available to buy here.

(Sorry I should have repld to Dave's comment, not ucantseeme.)

ucantseeme likes this.
  12. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Women's shoes are considerably lighter than men's AFAIK, and that means there is material that has been removed vs. the men's version. If you read up on this topic, there's alot more changes between the two than just the fit, particularly regarding the stiffness of the midsole and outsole. Yonex barely makes any women's models in colors that I can stomach either.

I used to wear the Aerus LX version, and they are about 2 ounces lighter than the men's version if I recall correctly. Fell apart really quickly and provided little support. I'm wearing the Aerus 2 men's and much happier despite the fit differences. Few women are 1.85m and as aggressive as me on top of that. I tend to be a defensive player in singles but in MD I'm practically trying to murder the opposition. Most badminton girl players are like 120 lbs tops, skin and bones. I hope that's a definitive answer to those who wonder about whether they can wear women's for a narrow fit. It would only work if you're relatively light and play less aggressively, unless you got a massive shoe budget.

#32 dave010, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If a sole and the cut is more slim, it's absolute clear that the shoes comes out lighter because of less material. A thin guy is also lighter as a thick guy, so I don't get your point. The Aerus is also not a supportive shoe, so...and if you are a good and serious player you will chew thru shoes and have potential to get a sponsorship. 6-9 month is a regular cyclus of any badminton shoe.

Borkya likes this.
  14. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

The tiny differences in dimensions don't explain the huge difference in weight. We're talking a percentage difference of about 20%. The women's version isn't 20% smaller. I also don't know why pretty much all the women's models come in freaking coral and pink. There's no good choices other than the SHB03 and Aerus 2, both of which are awful in my opinion. I just fell over last night during a china jump wearing my SHB03, which never happened to me before. Incredibly frustrating to have to tiptoe around the court instead of playing my usual aggressive game. I might have to go back to the SHB02's eventually.

#34 dave010, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Have you ever tried a pair of women shoes? I mean having on your feet and playing? Yes or No? I hardly believe that anybody except @visor went into a shop with a scale. And the shoes you are refering are not well known for their support and stability. So I think that a female version can't be worse than the male. Wanna laught? I have bought 2 pair of men shoes, same model, same size, different color and the difference was 30g. Both played the same, who cares. And just to dismiss a shoe on colours? Come on...a more girlish attitude isn't possible. I don't care how I look like on court. I'm playing and I wanna feel comfortable, I don't play on the catwalk.

16. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Would you mind re reading my above post about my experience with trying women's shoes? It didn't end well, and I'm not enthusiastic to spend another $150 something on a potential repeat of that disaster.

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the letters of the models on Yonex shoes, but got it. :) Did you ever tried a different brand? Babolat has decent budget shoes and also the asics blade 5 and 6 are known for a more tight cut instead of the Blade 3 and 4.

18. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Asics aren't available here so perhaps I'll give the Babolats a try.

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Re lengths, I had some bruising issues using various yy shoes and my foot slipping. I had to wear an 8.5 UK in most of their shoes which was just a little too long.

I tried li ning shoes and the fit was substantially better, I tried them in a size 8 and was pleasantly surprised. Since then I’ve always bought wide fit shoes a half size smaller than I was using with a lot of yy shoes, even if that does mean I had to order my yy comfort wide mids from Japan. Sometimes using a smaller length with better width pays off.

20. Hitman989

Hitman989 Regular Member

It's unfortunate that I cannot find any physical stores in my area that has many models of Li Ning shoes for me to try on