Shoe durability

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dave010, Sep 28, 2017.

1. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

How long do your shoes usually last? I'm asking here because I ripped part of the outsole from the bottom of my SHB02s in just 3 months...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    depends how often and how hard you play. hours/week. court surface. drills, games, etc?

I used to play in this carpeted gym. shoes don't last more than 2 months with 2-3 sessions/week.

dave010 likes this.
  3. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I'm playing rather fervently, about 2-4 times a week (3-10 hrs) over the three months. Surface is almost always the rubber mats specifically for badminton.

4. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

I have the yonex aerus and they are still really good after 8 months. I play about 3-4 times a week (~3 hours each time). The extra cautions I take is to not wear them outside, and also storing it inside only. The outsole is still in really good condition and very grippy after a wash, some of the colour on the outer material has rubbed off but not damaged, insole has a small hole where my big toe is but I think that is quite common.

5. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

How much do you weigh by the way?

6. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

60kg, that is a factor I forgot to mention

7. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Generally 6 months maximum, though it has varied from 2-6 months.

Current pair is some Dunlop's that are holding in really well - just had to restitch some parts where friction from trailing foot has worn the stitching. Also had to replace the insoles a 4-5 mo in, as my rear foot wore a hole through it where the ball of my foot is.

I find my shoes break where the upper meets the sole on the outside edge of the front of my racquet leg - this is almost certainly because my lunging foot points inwards (which is something I'm keen to fix...).

Play about 6-10 hours per week on mostly wooden flooring/rubber matting, weigh 70kgs but throw myself around quite a lot.

It would be nice to have a pair of shoes last a year...

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Get out 6-9 month depending on model and how much I train/play. Used to play most of the time on decent floors, not much dragging. It gets more towards 6 when I train/play around 9hours per week and more towards 9 when I train/play 6 hours per week. Most reason for new shoes: Inside worn out and cushion gone.

9. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

I am aroung 100kg an 185cm. I train 4-5times a week and a pair of decent shoes will vanish after 9-12month. But I am always wearing a currex insole.

10. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yup, same. 6-12 months, depending on how sturdy they are. I always drag the toes of my left foot so the sole sometimes becomes loose there. Also, some shoes get really soft after a while. The SHB-02MX has now lasted me the longest ever, because of the plastic bonded on the sliding part of the shoe.
    Oh yeah, I always play hard gym floors or wooden floors (but not concrete). And always change the inner soles to something sturdier, standard insoles don't last 3 months for me.

(80 kg, 1m83)