Viktor Axelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

V-A harvest the seeds he carefully planted over the years. If listen to what he says in Danish, V-A doesn't see or mention himself as a super technical, nature talented player >>
    But more as a hard working craftsman who approach the respective training programs with an attitude, there can keep even the best coaches on the toes 6 hours a day... The Devil ls in the detail

Cheung and Baddyforall like this.
  2. Master

Master Regular Member

Badminton Unlimited Episode 198 featuring Victor Axelsen

dave010 likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

After many months without it, we have finally been given another typical Viktor-meltdown in the third game against SK in the ongoing Denmark Open. And what a massive one that was.

Not sure what happened towards the end of game 2 since the live stream was down, but the way he fell apart in the decider was a true shocker.

#563 s_mair, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It was a very fast paced at the end of the 2nd game. SK damn really injected speed, which gave him the game. All the 3 games matches with Victor won by SK

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

#564 Baddyforall, Oct 20, 2017
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And finally, it was SK who kept attacking Viktor's hilariously loose short serves which added noticeably some pressure. I guess that others will learn that from today's match and start doing the same.

His weak serves have been highlighted by Gilian and Steen since I don't know how many tournaments so it was a miracle that he got away with them for so long.

Aventus and dave010 like this.
  6. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I don't think it was a meltdown honestly. Srikanth played brilliantly, and the specks of badminton genius really came together today. He is a very talented player, just lacking a bit in experience. I think SK will be a incredible opponent in the coming years. His attacking game on a good day is thrilling to watch.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

In my opinion it was definitely a breakdown. I‘m not saying KS did not play well. I‘m not even saying he would not have won if VA didn‘t make all those horrible easy unforced errors. But in the end he did make those errors again and again and lost once again to himself, which defines this as a breakdown, for me at least.

swsh, Aventus and s_mair like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Game 2 was won by SK with seriously good badminton, but game 3 was basically handed him on a silver platter with what - 13 (just guessing...) unforced errors and the complete loss of any game plan whatsoever by Viktor. If that's not called a breakdown, I don't know what should.

#568 s_mair, Oct 20, 2017
    swsh, Aventus, dave010 and 1 other person like this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

In G2, VA was leading by a point by around 16, but then I think the pressure started getting to him to close out the match and he made several unforced errors (missed net kills, hitting way long of baseline, not getting his net blocks and net shots over the net, etc). Then the errors started to pile up and he lost G2.

In G3, his mind and body got even stiffer and worsened his errors. In the end, despite SK playing a solid game, it was a game that VA should and could have won, but again... he lost to himself.

10. Master

Master Regular Member

Have VA lost his calmness in such a critical situation?

I watched him do something with his racket in a few seconds then he cancel that action a second after.

11. Baddyforall

Everything is part of a game. This mental fragility is in his game for long long time. Even he lost before to Lindan with more or less similar situation. Infact he was leading with a huge margin before losing it. So, it is a part and parcel of the game. They have to know how to deal with it. That's why , Victor is with some mental coach, is it not?.

12. Aventus

Aventus New Member

Here's what some of you who proclaim Viktor as a 'Legend in the making' don't seem to get -- he's a very hot/cold type of player. If things aren't going his way or if the match is very close then he chokes and loses. Every time. He's a momentum based player. And that's exactly why he's not a future GOAT, because true great players remain calm and always have a Plan B, C, D etc when things aren't going their way.

Axelsen only has Plan A. If Plan A doesn't work then he mentally hops on the flight back home before the match is even over.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

So, he's Wei Nan type of player?

14. Aventus

Aventus New Member

Here's the Axelsen vs. Kidambi match if anyone missed it:

Alt1:

Alt2:

15. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Just saw the match YT DR. Jekyll and MR. Hyde
    V-A's statement on FB. > Srikanth really earned this one, he kept calm in 2 game where I bended for tension-pressure, he was just better than me period <
    Srikanth regular won the match in 2 game, in 3 game V-A look like something the cat could have brought home by night, and he deserve to be beaten of a cool and well playing Srikanth who constant kept focus from point to point throughout 2 game, it was kinda game over when V-A in lead of 2 game have to finish the match,, Srikanth make a failure half lane lift, and V-A's playful mind sets in and MR.Hyde has out of sudden left Odense Arena,, and instead of punching to the feathers, V-A suddenly want to play badminton with Srikanth > and return with something I guess probably should had been a disguised drop shot, from here it's uphill. In 3 game V-A doesn't seems to even try to do his best, IMO he has given up and it appears more or less like he is on a Monday-morning training,,, All that said with full credit to Srikanth for dismantling V-A. Srikanth is a fantastic player.

I guess the next many years, will be a tough time for the passionate fan-boy, there is simply to many good players on the top (mood killers) and to many up coming waiting their chance,, IMO very good for MS with a wide diversity of players and different styles, interesting battles will be fought.

As many already have stated multiple times, the top players aren't reading on this site :)
    Yet I do have a wish-list for V-A

1 Improve your service
    2 Improve your service
    3 Improve your service
    4 Keep Jekyll away from the court, you're MR. Hyde the infamous serial feather killer Grrrrrrrrrrr :) :)
    5. Consider if it's a good idea to travel world around with Pappi (manager) to promote your brand, main focus should be on the courts, a brand will fade if the performance fade.
    6 Stay hungry stay foolish stay crazy
    7 ?

Baddyforall likes this.
  16. Baddyforall

Not able to interpret it. How I wish to have a good translator to translate exactly what he said.

17. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Wow all that hate,, where does it come from,, who benefits from it,, a sad lonely heart ?

18. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Srikanth really earned this one, he kept calm in 2 game where I bended for tension-pressure, he was just better than me period :)
    He reply this sentence 3 times with tiny variations !

But there will come more later today I guess !

Baddyforall likes this.
  19. Aventus

Aventus New Member

Objective, factual criticism is not hate.

As emotional as Viktor is, his fanboys are even more fragile :rolleyes:

20. Baddyforall

But you posted a lengthy one. It's your take on the match?. Just asking.