K. Srikanth क्. स्रिकनथ्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

2. Baddyforall

He talks about his victories , holiday at home and even Chen Long.

Some Excerpts:

Interviewer : What was your Strategy against Chong Li (what?) ? (Reporters need to do home work before going to take interview)

Srikanth : There would not be any strategy against a player who is reigning world and olympic champion. I have already played him for 5 times . All matches were close. I thought he played 10% better than me in those matches. On the finals of Australia Open, i felt i have reduced that 10% gap. There is no strategy. I should stick to him till the last point. It worked well on that day.

#382 Baddyforall, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

No strategy? Sure, who would believe that? :D

4. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    OutLonged Long

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    https://thefangarage.com/articles/1...rall-prize-money-standings-in-world-badminton

Srikanth tops the overall prize money standings in world badminton

KIDAMBI SRIKANTH has had a great run in the recent past, a runners-up title in Singapore Super Series and two titles in Indonesia and Australia. This success has not only made him popular and a powerhouse among the top shuttlers.

It has also earned him a lot of bucks, like BWF site states, "his hot streak has his bank account sizzling."

He had won US$ 16,597.50 prior to Singapore this year. But post his recent success, it has climbed upto US$147,847.50. This made him go above women's singles shuttler Tai Tzu Ying who has US$133,125.00 in prize money won so far.

Among the men's singles shuttler, coming in the second place is Lee Chong Wei US$71,300 while China’s Lin Dan is third with US$69,795 and Chou Tien Chen (Chinese Taipei) is fourth with US$53,150.00.

PV Sindhu ranks 7th spot among the women's singles shuttlers with US$ 47,075.00 earnings.
    For full list visit here.

6. Baddyforall

7. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

This player has a varied and deceptive attack .His smash direction is difficult to detect.He moves in the court like a swan and is extremely quick and efficient in his movement.Capable of playing different strategies.His strokes are unorthodox too.

Strategy 1-against attacking players,he can play a fast pace and out play them at the net with his improved and deceptive netgame .Eg -His breathtaking matches vsLin Dan 2014 China Open,vs Axelsen in India open 2015,Denmark Open 2017.

Strategy 2 -against majorly counter attacking players like SWH and Chen Long,he has learned to play a different rhythm and play at a different pace and suddenly attacking .....it is a good strat against such players as they cannot predict the attack and hence cannot go all out defensive.

He also has the weapons to win in different conditions
    1)In windy conditions like the Indonesia Open and to an extent 2017 denmark open ,his net game earns him the lifts to finish off his opponents.
    2)In less windy conditions like Australian open 2017,China Open 2014 ,his strategic and tactical acumen is good enough to win him these games too

Unorthodox strokes:
    He has a big leap for his smashes and uses slice and angle to change steepness and angle .Plus his control over them is pretty good...both his crosscourt smashes and ,my personal favourite, his down the line smashes are incredible.

His backhand netplay is very good but his forehand netplay now is becoming a huge weapon...his followup to attacking shots has always been great.

In defrnce,His reflex flick is very rare in men's singles but is a good import from his early doubles experience.

However his game does have weaknesses...

A bit of fragility at the biggest stage Rio 2016 QF game 1,WC 2017 also to some extent(he couldn't execute strat 2 perfectly and SWH capitalised,although he almost cameback with his all out attack game at the end of game 2)
    He also needs to further improve his netgame to further capitalise on his attacking game.His defense and certain easy mistakes can also be reduced.And ofcourse his style of play makes him prone to injury.But proper warmups can minimise these injuries.
    The thing with Srikanth is that he needs to get into his 'zone' to reduce his easy mistakes phase during a tough match.In his match with SWH in wc2017 he was just too late to get into that zone.
    Most exciting player on tour to watch by far imo.
    All in all i look forward to his rivalries with Axelsen,Momota and Ginting in the future.Hope he wins big in the future too.

#387 Metaphysician, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    nilesh123 and Aventus like this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You forgot to point out his early 2016 form in ordinary tournaments. He got a fair amount of criticism for that.

9. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

I dont think the weaknesses during those times are as pronounced now.
    As some coaches like Saina's earlier coach Vimal K say, at the time players figured him out and played ' defend and counter attack 'strategy against him,he would get impatient and over attack.(Tian Houwei who has a good defence beat him 6 times during this period,vincent wong too,LCW always beat him,CL always beat him then).But the new coach Mulyo has made a difference in this area,i think this strategy is no longer as effective as SWH and CL found out recently..however he has to perfect this new found patience against such players...

#389 Metaphysician, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Cheung and Aventus like this.
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-kidambi-srikanth-star-indian-badminton-70423

8 things to know about Kidambi Srikanth – the star of Indian badminton
    Kidambi won the Denmark Open on Sunday for his third Superseries title of the year.

[​IMG]

Kidambi Srikanth on Sunday won his third Superseries title of the year at the Denmark Open, by routing his South Korean opponent Lee Hyung II in straight games. Along the way to the title triumph, he beat the reigning World Champion and local hope Victor Axelsen. It also ended the current World No. 1's winning streak of 13 consecutive matches without a defeat.

Here are eight things to know about the shuttler who is fast gaining prominence on the international circuit:
    Kidambi was born in Ravulapalem in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh on July 2, 1993 and turned professional in 2008.

First shot into the limelight after winning silver at the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games in Isle of Man.

Won his first Superseries title at the China Open in 2014 beating the legendary Lin Dan in the finals.

After his latest Superseries title, he has risen to No. 4 in the World rankings.

First player from India to reach four Superseries finals in the same year viz. Singapore Open, Indonesia Open, Australia Open and Denmark Open.

First Indian men’s shuttler to win consecutive Superseries titles viz. Indonesia Open and Australia Open.
    Sits top of the prize money chart in 2017 with net earnings of $149,797.50.

Has attained the top position in the World Superseries Destination Dubai Rankings. It is an annual ranking system that evaluates performances in the 12 Superseries events of the year and determines the top eight who get to play in the season-ending championships.

Aventus likes this.
  11. soami

soami Regular Member

Srikanth has improved his defences. And gotten fitter and stronger.
    In the 2nd set against Axelsen in Denmark open SS, Victor played as well as he ever has. In fact, Srikanth rarely got opportunity to attack. So well was VA playing.
    But his defence held firm and he came through.
    Its his mental toughness that is the question. Against VA, he was out to prove a point. And under no pressure because he was the underdog. He doesnt play half as good when he is the favourite or under pressure.

Aventus likes this.
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It to SS's credit that he managed to overcome VA in G2 when he was trailing 17-19 after having lost G1. VA's emotions got the better of him as he lost his focus and committed error after error for the rest of G2. VA lost his cool in G3 while SS kept his and went on to win without undue pressure.

SS will have to continue to play in this form as VA will certainly return with a vengeance.

Aventus likes this.
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    today's french open semi win against hsp show's how far srikanth has come in the mental game.

coming back in the late stages of game 2 & 3 is about focus.

badmuse likes this.
  14. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    He is exciting to watch due to his very attacking game. He and Pranoy are India's gem.

15. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Srikanth is truly a talent for the future, that much is obvious, and it's interesting, his surge this year seems not due to his lethal attack, which was always there, but because of his improved defense, long regarded as his weakness. Not it may be one of the top 5 defences in the world along with Axelsen, Chen Long, LD and LCW, although in my opinion, he still lags behind those 4 guys defensively. However, he has made huge strides in that department, and looks set for more. I think the sky isn't even the limit for him :)

16. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

To be quite honest, he is my favourite for the All England next year. One can make an honest case for him as the best player in the world this year, both level wise and by the titles he has won. I think he has quite a bit more technical skills than Axelsen, and a more lethal attack because of that added variation. It is close between those two however. Hopefully they can live up to even half of what the LD/LCW or LCW/CL rivalry was. I don't see Momota being able to match these two now. Srikanth and VA have come of age this year, while Momota was unfortunately forced to stagnate in this year. He is nowhere near where he used to be, and quite honestly, Srikanth and VA look better than Momota when he was at his best, and by quite a bit too. It is a tossup between VA and Srikanth for All England and Worlds next year, but I give the slight edge to Srikanth because of those added technical skills and his growth curve looking so impressive.

17. Baddyforall

18. Baddyforall

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

20. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I actually feel there will be a Federer/Nadal style resurgence next year for LD and LCW, what do you guys think?