YONEX French Open 2017 : Qualifications - FINALS (October 24-29)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

first of all we need to clear something first.. i wasn't the first one using tomato face joke. someone during denmark open used it first after axelsen lost 2nd set to srikanth. and yes it's possible for asian to turn red-faced too it's just far less common since generally asian badminton players are much more fit than caucasians. you can look at some WS matches to find some asian tomato-faces just they aren't that common.

now for the sport science.. i bring it up since i remember clearly reading a news article about denmark boasting that they are now incorporating sport science into their badminton training program and that other countries should follow too coz it improves their badminton levels apparently. this comment on sport science was directed at indonesian badminton teams saying that indonesian training programs were outdated and too traditional. i apologise if denmark/someone from denmark never said such thing but i don't think i'm imagining things. perhaps someone who has been following badminton for a long time can confirm this. it was quite some years ago.
    now if denmark has been using sport science for its training program all these years, the equipments must be broken or needs calibration coz frankly danish badmintin players physicals are subpar compared to asians, which in turn is ironic considering the generally accepted belief that caucasians are superior physically compared to asians

2. It'sMeMeMe

i'll add
    i like danish players with the exception of some.
    but as long as i see their physical woes contribute to losing a point/rally and/or match, i will continue to criticize.

i'll try to refrain not watching badminton when denmark plays in the future then so that i can stop making comments about them coz clearly it's taking a chunk of my time to explain the obvious

3. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    oh no, no gold medal for CBA this time. whose head will roll this time? :)

4. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Err, no one even came out to "apologise" -- aka CBA doesn't even admit there's any systemic problem (vs temporary variation of individual performances) -- so as long as the management team huddle together like during Li Yongbo's time, they will all be safe (or ALL be blamed)...

Just take your cue from the way they are dealing (or NOT dealing) with Chen Long, arguably the "headliner" of the national team, who hasn't won a tournament since Rio Olympics -- whereas all the other singles-event medalists (Lee Chong Wei, Axelsen, Marin, Sindhu, Okuhara) have recovered/ re-adjusted themselves to win at least one professional/ SS tournament since...

I think there is pretty much a consensus that tiered-team building was a failure (due to the eagerness to "rotate out" anyone who wasn't winning or capable of winning immediately) during Li Yongbo's time, so no one is expecting great things from the new CBA management other than occasional flashes of brilliance here and there from veterans like Lin Dan or Zhang Nan, or rookies like Chen Yufei or Shi Yuqi

#964 Forestal, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. It'sMeMeMe

ZhangJun? :D

6. Master

Master Regular Member

Finals : Great victories for Indonesia and Chinese Taipei

Last day. It’s time for players to make the last effort to win the title. For the players, it means more pressure to deal with, with the support of an incredible crowd yet again. There is no place for mistakes.

WD: Polii/Rahayu against Lee/Shin

Both pairs are outsiders. According to their current ranking, the Indonesians are ranked 39 and the Koreans are ranked 55. No matter what are their ranking, to be honest. It was such a great match. The Indonesian pair lead the match since the beginning. All points were long and we noticed a difference of resilience in both pairs. The Korean was the pair that made the mistake after a long point. Such easy mistake that made them lagging behind. Indeed, for a final, the score wasn’t that close. The Indonesians were steady and this is what allow hem to win. They said that they feel blessed to win the Final here in Paris. According to the crowd they were favorites. Score: 21-17, 21-15

XD: Zheng/Chen against Ahmad/Natsir

Here they are: The titleholders are going to try winning another title at the Yonex French Open. Both pairs have been on time the winner at this tournament. The Chinese won last year, whereas for Indonesians, it was in 2014 but also 2009. They already faced each other three times and the Indonesians won 2 time against 1. What a tense match! The first set was win by the Indonesians but it was close 20-20. Easy mistakes from the Chinese let their opponent leading the score. The titleholders gnashed their teeth. They made a lot of easy mistakes which unsettle them. During the 2nd set, the Indonesians managed to impose their game until the very end, leaving no solution to their opponents. It helps them finish the match in two straight games. Score: 22-20, 21-15

MS: Kenta Nishimoto against Srikanth Kidambi

The two last men single players made their entrance on court. Both players made such a great tournament until the Final. The Japanese is the one who beat Lee Chong Wei at the 1st round but also the young promising Anders Antonsen at the semi finals. On the other side, Srikanth won against the titleholder Shi Yuqi in three sets, and his peer Prannoy H. S. in three sets also. The Indian player won his 2nd title in two weeks! After the Denmark Open, this is the Yonex French Open. Score: 21-14, 21-13

WS: Tai Tzu Ying against Akane Yamaguchi

The no.1 faced the Japanese ranked 5 today for the Final at the French Open. They have already met few times in the past. They both won 4 times against each other. Today, the player from Chinese Taipei made an unbelievable 1st set: 21-4. She led the match and had a great defense. This is surprising to see how Akane Yamaguchi was lagging behind. Score: 21-4, 21-15

MD: Boe/Mogensen against Lee/Lee

Here we go! The last European players made their entrance. They had such a great support from the crowd through the week. The Danish players faced Lee/Lee from Chinese Taipei, ranked 8. They already met few times, both pairs won once against each other. To be honest this is the first tense match of the day. Since the beginning, the score was pretty close. The pair from Chinese Taipei won the 1st set 21-19. With the public’s support, the Danish players held to get the 2nd set: 17-17. They came back when they were lagging behind. Unfortunately, they didn’t play that well at the end of the set. Despite the acclamation from the public who wanted a 3rd set, it didn’t happen. Mathias Boe and Carten Mogensen were so disappointed after this match, saying that it was not a good one for them. They were so close to win their 4th title!!! It will be for next time. Score: 21-19, 23-21

Source: http://www.yonexifb.com/uk/news/2017-10-29/finals-great-victories-for-indonesia-and-chinese-taipei

7. Master

Master Regular Member

The French Badminton Federation (FFBAD) organizer of the French Open and Yonex company is signing a new 4 years contract for the event.

The story between the French Open and Yonex, major badminton equipment, continues. It started 9 years ago and it is now postponed to 2021 with a new partnership.

The Badminton World Federation selected the French Open as part of the 9 most important tournaments in the world for the next 4 years. To support the federation to this new step (4 days of TV production instead of 3 currently, a raising prize money), Yonex has renewed its involvement beside the French Federation regarding its flagship.

Florent Chayet, FFBAD president :

We are delighted to carry on building the future of the French Open with Yonex as the Title Partner. While the BWF has shown its confidence to the federation to host one of the 9 biggest events in the world, Yonex is supporting us with a continuously raising investment. We are greatfull to our reliable partner and its commitment to develop and expand badminton in France”.

Kusaki Hayashida, Yonex Co., Ltd president :

Together with Fédération Française de Badminton, Yonex is thrilled that our fine relationship with this tournament continues year after year. We have the unique honor of acting as this tournament’s title sponsor since 2009 and it is my greatest pleasure to continue this partnership for the next 4 years onto 2021 with the tournament becoming a BWF World Tour – Level 3. This is most certainly an excellent tournament, and I greatly anticipate many more fine year to come.

Source : http://www.yonexifb.com/uk/news/2017-10-27/yonex-title-partner-of-the-french-open

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Srikanth said in post match interview.

“I’m just happy with the way it has gone for me in the last couple of weeks. There were some close matches and I feel I was a bit lucky in those matches. But I’m very happy with the way it went, the way I was playing,” he told the Paris media. “I think in the semis and quarters I felt that I started slow. So I wanted to start off a bit better. He (Nishimoto) is an aggressive attacking player so I didn’t want to give him that chance,” he said.

Quizzed on his superior fitness, Srikanth laughed, “I’m surprised about it too. The way we’ve been training in the last 9-10 months, it’s been doing its part. I just need to continue training hard.”

nilesh123 and samkool like this.
  9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I am surprised how crowded the FrenchOpen is this year. Was it like that last year? Great atmosphere at NonTraditional european country.
    Other countries should make effort like that too. Never know badminton is popular in France.

10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the gov't started supporting badminton at the middle school level on up about 6(?) years ago, so there is a level of commitment now. growing it through the school system helps its popularity a great deal.

it's one of my fave ss tournaments: easy to get to from anywhere in paris, great competition, and the seating is close to the action.

Cheung likes this.
  11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Here in Hong Kong a large portion of the seatings is kept for some VIP that don't show up. The result is half empty stadium, such a waste. I think this is the case in other places too, specially in Asia (I'm thinking of Korea, JPN, etc.). Not good for the sport

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in tokyo it's easy to get to, but, you feel too far from the action when seated.

denmark is great. you're very close to the action.

visor likes this.
  13. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

KS is on fire atm.. no surprise he won yesterday. Kudos to him.
    Lee/Lee is really having a good tournament, I like their cross-court drop though. :D

14. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

@It'sMeMeMe I commented on the first tomato face joke as well. Also, I am not so sure you can just say "He has tomato face (aka red), he is exhausted, he is in bad shape". I watched DK play handball yesterday and saw players go redface after 10 minutes.. and those players are fit! Different fit than badminton players admittedly, but they are tanks. This is what the tomato face joke sounds like in my ears: "He is exhausted and is playing terribly, let us comment on how stupid he looks!"

Regarding the "sports science" I just asked for information, no defence of anything. And I cannot help you. I don't recall hearing about it in the local press. I find the term "sports science" ridiculous and generic in the first place and I assume that all nations "use" it.

But your assessments about player fitness are based could be affected by a confirmation bias. Don't you think Gade, JOJ, Tine Baun are/were reasonably fit? Can we not agree that Shi Yuqi lost to KS because he was out of gas? And what is your opinion about the way asian players such as Natsir and Kido use their fitness to outplay their opponents? (Ok.. apologies for sarcasm.)
    I agree that in general, asian players are more fit than European players. (Could genetics play a role?) On the other hand, the less fit Danes typically have their strengths in other areas such as tactics. When Bo/Mo beat the fitter asian pairs it is typically because of game plan / tactics. You could say that Danish players ought to train harder to improve their fitness. But perhaps some asian players ought to be better at changing their tactics? Players have different strengths, and so do nations.

#974 Hassefar60, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Japan crowd is good too. Korea is by far the worst atmosphere and too much KPop making korea badminton becomes lousy, its not their culture anymore it seems which is unbelievable ( that fact they won SC). Malaysia Indonesian France so far the best this year.

16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

now Taiwan MD getting stronger, where is MAS MD...?!

17. Master

Master Regular Member

They are the two 6th seeded pairs at Bitburger GPG this week.

18. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

too bad according to the draw, maybe Tan/Ong would end in QF while Goh/Teo would end in R16...

19. It'sMeMeMe

i cannot find the article about sport science involving INA and Denmark, so i guess i'll retract my comment on this matter. it was long time ago anyway few years before Rexy mainaky comes back to INA and few years after PBSI couldn't find Taufik replacement.

as for fitness sure i agree to all your arguments ... except the fact that VA lost to SK on home ground due to lackluster fitness. In fact i found Tontowi fitness was lacking too even though he won French open. Had he lost i would have criticize him harder.

sure i'll accept that nations have different strength and weaknesses. i just hope Denmark doesn't get self-contented and refuse to learn other nations' strengths or fix own weaknesses. INA was a badminton powerhouse for so long yet struggles to find a worthy WS for almost 2 decades. We all don't want the only true badminton powerhouse on the europe continent struggles few years down the road just coz of too much self-assured-ness do we?

as for tomato-face i find it funny personally. if ppl of Denmark or you gonna take it personally then so be it..... i'm a no one in the world badminton stage anyway.

a no one having fun with tomato face being hunted down ... compared to professional player's "Go back to India and change your glasses" ... just really a no contest don't you think?..

i consider this matter closed now and i won't reply anymore. have fun and good luck to Denmark

20. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

In fact I thought the comment from Boe towards service judge was really rude , I don't know why no action was taken against him. Even though the nationality of that service judge was different, his behaviour was totally unacceptable, considering how much love was given to him in india when he was selected to play in PBL.
    That because BWF has a head who is from Denmark?
    Note: That service judge was from India.
    Even if it was extremely hard decision against Asian players, at the maximum they will argue with umpire but won't talk something like that.
    As somebody said if the cultural brought up is behind the scene , handling umpires like that is showing the upbringing . Something like spoilt child.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.