YONEX French Open 2017 : Qualifications - FINALS (October 24-29)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Oops. Service judge was from Sri Lanka.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

2. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

3. Hassefar60

I did not hear Boe say anything about changing glasses in India, but if he did (did he? Which match?), that was not alright and could/should have resulted in a warning. I brought up the cultural aspect earlier but that was more about the decision to complain in the first place; about being frustrated. Choice of words is another matter.

And no, the president of BWF being Danish does not affect any player's behaviour on court.

#983 Hassefar60, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. Baddyforall

Not in india. Some other tournament. He said something like "go back to india and change glasses" to service umpire when his judgements are not to his favour.
    Actually, service judge was not from India. He is from Sri Lanka.
    Taking all the brown people are from India itself not right. And saying something Los totally wrong. It is difficult to post it from my mobile. I will post it once I reach home.

5. Hassefar60

@Baddyforall I know it did not happen in India. I meant the change of glasses was supposed to happen in India.

That comment from Boe was way over the line. But not because he assumed that the judge was Indian. Just for the comment in general.

But if you know when it happened I would like to rewatch it.

6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Superseries Finals SF 2014 vs Lee/Yoo

visor likes this.
  7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

several factors could explain one's lack of fitness.
    1) maybe he is unwell (a small flu or fever the night before etc)
    2) just recover from injury
    3) body weight or age
    4) high intensity games in previous matches and lack of recovery time

just my opinions.

Hassefar60 and Baddyforall like this.
  8. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Quit being a snowflake or showing off your moral superiority by being offended on behalf of other people...

Boe talked to the service judge AFTER THE MATCH WAS OVER, aka OFF-court and NOT-during-play

So why don't you let the adults (Boe & Service Judge) talk to each other and handle this between themselves -- you don't have to like Boe (or Service Judge) for they did, but quit babying the players or expect the players to baby you.

IOW, there was no jurisdiction for the umpire to act (Boe was not interfering with the official during play) unless you think Boe was endangering the audience or official...

ie. unless you (or your country) are so infected by the SJW virus that harsh words count as weapons and hurt feelings count as violence EVEN in your personal/ private time.

9. Baddyforall

I was watching a tournament , that was an international challenge tournament.
    There was an incident where an Asian player was playing an European player. There were few times (more than 3 times) service umpire given service fault to Asian player. He was very upset but the maximum he did was argued to chair umpire. This irritated the service judge who was an European. He simply raised his hands and called for referee. I was frightened whether there could be any red card or anything like that. But referee did not ask anything to anybody. He simply walked away after discussing that with umpire. It was clearly visible on that match that service judge did not like that Asian player. Even after that incident, he has given 2 more service faults to that player. That player got visibly shaken by that. He approached umpire politely. Even umpire felt pity. He said that he could not do anything. After that, the player simply gave away the match.
    But even after that Boe incident, I don't know why that service judge left it without taking any action. Atleast , he could have complained it to Bwf.
    Unfortunate, these type of incidents really affects the whole perspective of certain country players even though all of them are not bad.

10. Hassefar60

@Forestal I think we agree more than you seem to acknowledge (or like).

I totally agree with this. I was not the one who brought up something that happened almost three years ago in this French Open thread. I had forgotten about and did not even get the reference at first.

On the contrary. We embrace the way of the dialogue. Also, we do not get offended if someone delivers our T-shirt back just because the Danish flag is on it.

visor likes this.
  11. Hassefar60

He was probably just laughing inside at Boe's childish behaviour and didn't feel intimidated at all.

12. Hassefar60

I don't feel offended on behalf of others. I am just sad to see how many posts in here are used to express disgust towards players as if we're all a bunch of hooligans. So I defend when I think the attack is unwaranted.

visor likes this.
  13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

This use of "Asian" and "European" is quite laughable. The prejudice is clearly in your own eye.
    By the way, players are not supposed to talk to the service umpire, politely or not

14. Baddyforall

He spoke to umpire not service umpire. By the way, that matter was over. I could not find that video yet. If I could find the video, I will post it here for everybody to decide from it.

15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Well I don't contest the fact that this service umpire might have been unfair. I contest the fact that it has anything to do with being Asian, European or anything else.
    For example, don't you remember the Thai MD who started to run at each other and engage in a fight during the Can Open? They were Asian enough. Vittinghus, a Den, is very polite on court.
    It is true that some culture are more oriented towards etiquette, but this might not apply in all circumstances. Furthermore, "Asian" is not a culture. I, for myself, do not think of India and Japan, for example, to have much in common. But I suppose this is largely off topic

16. Baddyforall

Except Hans , who else?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi guys.

We have had two pages of discussion going off track.

I will close this thread and perhaps you can continue the discusssion in a more appropriate thread.

Thanks

Mod.

renbo, Hassefar60 and Baddyforall like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.