Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I don't think they are staying on to prove something, both are recognized as among the greatest to play this game and one of them is already the GOAT...it has a lot to do with that Yonex contract that both have. The $$$ in the Yonex contract is worth more than many SSP winnings. They simply cannot quit now;)

nokh88 likes this.
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Other than CL and LD, who has LCW lost to more than 2 times?

3. TheNotorious

TheNotorious Regular Member

Taufik

nokh88 likes this.
  4. TheNotorious

TheNotorious Regular Member

And when will the contract expire?

5. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    Utterly brilliant today. Very impressed.
    Welcome back Lee Chong Wei.

6. Master

Master Regular Member

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    In fact I really wanted to say both games in single digits but got to respect Brice as he is a member of this forum.

8. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Absolutely scrubbed Brice, I guess he smashed away that demon

9. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Im starting to wonder whether LCW was affected by his knee injury he suffered before All England at the worlds, after he won the all England, he seemed slower and much worse in the defence. That seems to have changed at this china open, and he looks as fast as ever

10. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I really think it is all about mentality. I don't think LCW's knee troubled him deeply after AE's triumph.
    The problem is he tried to slow his game more each tournament, just content with rallying and random smash.
    This serves as a chance for attacking player like Prannoy and Brice to overwhelmed LCW through attacking style.

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    2025, contract is for 100 million yuan or >USD16 million, whether LD win or lose, he gets this $$$. Now that is worth a lot SSP.
    As for LCW, he has been with YY forever, probably perpetual contract and no idea when his contract expires.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

2025!?!? That's like 7-8 more yrs! LD will be 42-43 yrs old by then?! Now we know why he loses in early rounds... less matches per tournament means more $ per match...

And LCW, perpetual means lifetime!

13. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well, whatever it is that was affecting LCW, whether it was his mind or his body (I lean towards his body, he didn't seem to have his speed after that knee injury, although it could have just been him shying away because of his age) it seems to be gone now. He looks in a mood to kill. he is finally using that speed and power the way he should in every match, in a positive manner to destroy the opponent (control the rallies, and finish them with venom) rather than simply to respond and counter attack, which has always been his normal style

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I am really not sure how long is LCW contract with YY. LCW has endorsement contract with YY for a long, long time. LD only signed on in 2015, I think. As for LD losing early, the contract is intact, and not based on winning or losing how many matches. As long as LD does not screw up and give YY a reason to terminate contract, LD gets all the $$$. Unlike Tiger Wood (we know how much he lost) LD is lot smarter than to screw it up..well, he almost did with that episode:D. Reminder that LD signed in 2015, that is before RIO, that means YY gave this rich contract based on what LD had accomplished up to 2015. Had LD won RIO 2016 OLY, who knows what other contracts he gets to pick up. And the SF with LCW was very close, can go either way. We can speculate all we want, if LD had gotten into the final and play CL, even though LD may be fatigue and CL had a rather easy SF against VA, with 3rd OLY gold on the line and all the $$$ that awaits, hard to say the outcome. LD played his best in major, and RIO final would be the mother of all majors.....;)

visor likes this.
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just watched the highlights here.
    The 1st game was more of Brice hitting long and giving free points.
    2nd game, Brice put up some resistance in the 1st half.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Interestingly enough though, LCW didnt play long of that back line in G2 although Brice complained about how fast that side was in the interval. Also, the WC game was not just LCW playing slow and hesitant, but also BL playing one of his best matches ever, with accuracy and consistency he doesnt show often.

17. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Well, I could see it coming today. LCW was wasting so much energy smashing in the 2nd set against Ng Ka Long. I had a feeling that he would get tired by the 3rd set.

My guess is at the end of the 3rd set, LCW was cramping up. That would explain why the medical team was attending to LCW. Anyways, you could clearly see in the last 5 or 6 points, it was Ng Ka Long that was smashing and moving faster and LCW was on defense.

Next year's WC may be the best shot that LCW has at winning a major title. I'm not so sure if his body will hold up until the 2020 Olympics. Ironically, his nemesis, LD, may not hold up to the 2020 Olympics either. It's time for the younger generation of Viktor, Srikanth, Momota, and maybe even Ng Ka Long to take over. No shame for LCW and LD. They had their time. Now it's time for the new generation.

visor likes this.
  18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

My Commiserations to the entire Lee Chong Wei community for the shocking defeat today against Ng Kah Long Angus.

Total tragedy.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As far as I remember, the contract is for 10 years from 2014 to 2024 http://en.ytsports.cn/news-228.html

20. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...