GAO Fangjie (高昉洁)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Nov 17, 2017.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #1 pcll99, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I hadn't expected anyone would start a thread for Gao Fangjie when she hasn't won anything worth mentioning. Allow me to ask, aren't you getting ahead of yourself ? Hope your prescience of her impending success turns out justified.

By the way, what about Cai Yanyan, winner of the China Int'l Challenge'17 and the Macau Open GPG'17 ?

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sweet-looking lass, Gao Fangjie. May we see more of her on the winner's podium sooner than we expected.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't expect Gao to take down Marin tomorrow. But Gao reminds me of LXR--calm and nonchalant. Footwork and stroke are similar too.

Obviously it is still early days, but I think Gao FJ has a brighter future than He BJ.

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I quite liked her court coverage. She reached everywhere in a flash! I wouldn't be surprised if Marin doesn't win, although on paper it seems less likely.

pcll99 likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I really hope your prognosis turns out right, that Gao Fangjie has all of Li Xuerui's strengths but, if I may add, none of her weaknesses and shortcomings,esp mental toughness.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Cheung and Justin L like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hope Gao Fangjie as the sole surviving CHN WS tomorrow doesn't give herself too much pressure. I'm sure nobody expected her to win, not her coaches nor the Chinese fans, mostly, so just do her best , enjoy it and treat it as a learning experience.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

10. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

She certainly stands out among that current crop of Chinese youngsters, if you know what I mean.
    In terms of her potential, I would advise caution. She's scored quited a lot of winners (19) today against Sindhu, which is a very good sign. On the other hand, WS is so demanding and on a high level these days, that at 19 you probably should have made your mark somewhere already. The game today was her first ever win over a top player, and she has never even got close to winning a title.
    Let's hope she'll beat "She-who-must-not-be-named" tomorrow and take this tournament as a stepping stone.

11. Master

Master Regular Member

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Gao Fangjie was so emotional after beating Marin at the China Open semifinals, shedding tears as she walked over to slap hands with Zhang Ning afterwards.

#12 Justin L, Nov 18, 2017
    tbgoh288, stanleyfm, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    is she the first player ever to take down all three of the reigning Olympic gold, silver and bronze medalists in a single tournament?

14. TheNotorious

TheNotorious Regular Member

Wang Shixian, All England 2014.

pcll99 likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20171118/022256.htm

At the post-match interview, Marin first congratulated Gao Fangjie for her victory and when asked what she thought of her opponent, said:" She is a strong player, a tough opponent. She plays like Li Xuerui,similar." But when the reporter probed further asking in what way, she held back:" I cannot tell you the details, that's as good as telling her my thinking of her game. We're going to meet in future, I will continue working hard and strive to beat her."

Gao Fangjie was also asked for her comments on Marin:" She is a typical attacking player and very capable of winning points very fast. She wins points as fast as she loses them, that gives me a lot of pressure when I'm in the lead. But if I can withstand several of her attacking shots, she may make mistakes because she is quite irascible."

When the reporter asked GFJ about talks of her resembling Li Xuerui, she replied:" They say we look like each other and we both play an attacking game. I'm still far inferior to her, she is a more complete player." The CCTV reporter added,"But you're younger," to which she responded," As for age, I still have to take it one step at a time and keep improving myself. One match doesn't prove anything, I hope to do well in every tournament through solid training. Training and tournament is one straight line. First I must get my training right, then play well in tournaments, garner ranking points and strive for superseries and premier events."

On Gao Fangjie's victory, the Singles Head Coach Xia Xuanze said:" This is also the coaching team's victory."

#15 Justin L, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Thanks, Justin for your translation as always.

XXZ is so funny.

Are Sun Yu, He BJ and Chen YF's failures the coaching team's collective failure too?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're welcome, it's my pleasure.

But I won't be so negative on what XXZ said,he's giving credit to the coaching team who trains , analyzes the opponent's game and prepares their players how to deal with their opponents. Besides, it's only sometime this year that he took over from Li Yongbo to take charge of MS and WS.

I'd say credit for any success is due to both the players and their coaches working together, XXZ merely wants to state the contributions of the coaches behind the players who get most of the adulation.

Actually, at the China Open, Sun Yu is absent owing to injury layoff, Chen Yufei performed creditably despite her defeat to TTY, and He Bingjiao nearly beat Marin in a close encounter, and there is Cai Yanyan's success last week at Macau Open, and now Gao Fangjie's remarkable feat here. All in all, the CHN WS didn't do too badly vis-a-vis the slump CHN WS is in recently.

I don't think XXZ is one who shirks his responsibilities or denies blame. I strongly feel we should give XXZ and Zhang Jun time to do their work at this most difficult period of CHN badminton.

#17 Justin L, Nov 18, 2017
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

19. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

why?

i hope gao beat aka today

20. Master

Master Regular Member

Gao Fangjie executes all strategies coming from coaching team and manage to overcome her first ever Superseries Premier semifinal's pressure all together with critical points pressure so well.

She deserved that praises but XXZ's coaching team with foundations training, advice and support from behind also should be given some credits too.

The rising time of juniors should be taken with carefully to maintain the momentum. Don't give too much pressure which is over limit despite of the skills inside her and other young talented players.