Viktor Axelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by LD rules!, Apr 25, 2010.

1. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    But the quality we know he possesses, you would expect him to get more out of the final game. There must have been some mental fatigue towards the end..

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Of course I do. Just as recently as the Glasgow WC final, VA admitted to being very nervous when playing Lin Dan and looked at how his relief immediately turned into elation upon winning it. And we can tell his huge motivation whenever he's facing LCW too as at the JPN Open just last month despite dropping G2 to LCW.

Was he like that against Srikanth? Well, VA's body language was different, not as gung-ho, but appeared frustrated, annoyed, impatient when he couldn't finish off his opponent in G2, narrowly losing it 20-22, and he simply unraveled in the decider instead of digging his heels in and keep fighting.

Frankly,I don't see VA's fitness level or physical fatigue as that much of an issue but his temperament still is, except that he could rise to the occasion and even play above himself against the likes of LD, LCW and CL. The quality of his game,eg,the amazing rallies, attacking prowess and retrieving ability, yes, his inspiration is at a higher level then which is not the case when he's facing 'lesser lights', such as KM or KS. That's why he failed to produce the same exceptional form.

True, VA did beat KS in two straight sets by the identical score of 21-17 weeks earlier at the JPN Open but that match was before the final where he's expected to meet LCW. Furthermore, KS failed to trouble him then unlike the DEN Open Final. I believed, had VA's opponent in the DEN Open Final been LD, LCW or CL, we would most likely see another phenomenal performance from him. Somehow, I sensed or noticed the remarkable difference in VA's outstanding form in those instances as opposed to when he's up against others. That's just me.

Still, like I've said, I think VA will mature going forward and learn to control his temperament better although I understand one's personality is difficult to change but, according to some experts, one can develop traits and habits that differ or even directly contradict his inherent personality type. While he may not be able to change himself completely,I think he can as he grow and gain experience in life, including in badminton, he can limit its negative effects to a considerably lower level. Some people do mellow with age, as we know. Just my 2 cents.

One last point, when VA said he's tired, I take it to mean more in the mind than in the body. Again, just my personal opinion. As usual, we can agree to disagree. Cheers.

Petersen, Nine Tailed Fox and visor like this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, if VA's temperament doesn't act up but is under control, he, at his best, has the edge over K Srikanth.

When VA is in his element, I think his attacks and defensive ability are slightly superior to K Srikanth's, for VA also has the height, reach and speed to trouble all his rivals, including Lin Dan and LCW, both of whom are well past their prime.

Also I won't assume Kento Momota's return is such a threat to VA as the latter is now playing at a higher level. We've to wait and see how the two square off in future.

Petersen likes this.
  4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Justin, I don't think we disagree so much:

Strange, the other day I did make a post here about him also being mentally fatigued (by everything that's been going on after WC), but it's just not here now... Both Jan O and VA himself mentioned this during and after DO. Shooting commercials, TV Show appearances, new contracts negotiations, interviews to god knows how many entities, in both Danish, English and Mandarin, and so on. Still while playing the planned tournaments. Jan O said that if it was him who won WC, he surely wouldn't have played in Japan, and he think it was an outstanding performance for VA to win there, just after the big one. Not many players have accomplished that.

My point was, Justin, that it was BOTH mental and physical fatigue. But there's a difference between mental fatigue and mental breakdown due to temperament (which I don't think you saw here - because that's just something which has become a consensus to say about VA).

s_mair, Cheung and Petersen like this.
  5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Well, First of all, VA did not meet Srikanth in finals. He met him Denmark Open Quarterfinals.

Petersen likes this.
  6. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

In his facebook page, he said that he did not participate in French open because of Shoulder pain!.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks, I stand corrected but it doesn't change the point I'm making.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I feel Viktor Axelsen was bounded by the chains of his ego today. Didn't utilise his mental energy properly.

There was too much frustration, anger, nervousness as a response to the Resistance offered on the other side. But I think it's normal for a 24 year old to feel these emotions. Let him grow.

2nd game was awesome today. First and Third were not so.

9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Viktor was gambling too many shots at the net in today's match against Chen Long. I know Viktor doesn't want to lift, but those were really hard net shots and Chen Long was waiting for Viktor at the net. I think Viktor should have varied his shots a little at the net, to keep Chen Long guessing. Also, I think Viktor still has stamina issues. I hope he can overcome his stamina issues because he is so young and this won't be good for him as he ages.

I think losing to Chen Long today is a good thing for Viktor's long run development. Viktor has been winning so much after his WC win, that he may overrate his actual ability. A loss like this tells Viktor that if Chen Long is on his game, Chen Long is still the best player in the world. So Viktor knows the difference between his level and Chen Long, and this may motivate Viktor to train harder. Yes, Viktor may get lucky and get an out of form Chen Long at this year's WC. But an out of form Chen Long doesn't always happen. If Chen Long is on his game, he is the best in the world so Viktor needs catch up to this level.

Justin L likes this.
  10. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

To be honest, I don't see Axelsen ever getting physicality the level of Chen Long, Chen Long is the fittest player ever, and I don't see Axelsen having the same desire to work on his body (Axelsen is still a hard worker, but someone like CL or LCW seems to be that extra bit hardworking). Maybe this loss will motivate him, but badminton players lose all the time, this one really isn't that different

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

C'mon now. Viktor is the Best Player in the world. Don't think today he played with his usual free flowing rhythm.

12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

h]
    He isn't, this match clearly showed that, Axelsen does not have the stamina, he had his rhythm back in second game, what happened in the third? Simple, he got gassed, he had absolutely nothing to answer Chen Long with. Stamina has been his problem for years, and I see it continuing to be a problem. Conversely, Chen Long's best trait is stamina

13. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

The reason he didn't play with his free flowing rhythm is because Chen Long defended so well, look at how close Axelsen's winning shots were in the second game. He had to play practically perfect to score. That showed in the third game, when the shots went out. Chen Long also threatened him with his attack. Axelsen had no answers. Chen Long is superior, there is a reason why he is Olympic Champ. Axelsen beat an injured Chen Long in the Worlds, if Chen Long was at the level he showed today, I don't see Axelsen with a world title

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree with you on the most part, except that I don't think Viktor has stamina issue the way he covered the court. You're a discerning and insightful thinker unlike some people who let their emotions get the better of them.

Chen Long is a top pedigree player with great achievements and past sterling records to show, far exceeding any of the latest achievers; it's not as if winning the China Open PSS today is his maiden title. Especially noteworthy is the quality of Chen Long's game throughout the tournament.

Viktor didn't play badly today, not at all, in fact he played pretty well but Chen Long outplayed him in both offense and defense, except in G2.

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Thanks.

Actually, my comment about stamina was regarding the SS finals between Viktor and Tian Houwei. Viktor ran out of gas by the 3rd set, was moving very slow, and was visibly bent over and gasping for air at one point. Tian Houwei appeared to be fitter and didn't look as tired. Ironically, Tian Houwei was nervous and kept making so many unforced errors to keep Viktor in game, and Viktor won. I've seen other matches where Viktor looks more tired in the 3rd set compared to his opponent.

Compare Viktor to say, Jan O' Jorgensen. Jan has really good stamina and rarely looks more tired than his opponent. I haven't seen Chen Long look more tired than his opponent either It's concerning because Viktor is so young. Hope that it's not something that limits him when he gets older.

16. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

Well this is true, but Viktor also has like 10 kg more to carry around the whole court. Add to this his aggressive play (many smashes and short blocks which he has to retrieve) and its totally understandable he's not that fresh in the third set anymore.

17. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Compare Chen Long's body and Axelsen's body
    upload_2017-11-19_12-59-37.jpeg
    upload_2017-11-19_13-0-33.jpeg
    (I know this Axelsen pic is from 2 years ago, but he looks the same now pretty much)

That itself explains why Chen Long won yesterday, and why he is a better player

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Before that post I could at least follow your argumentation - but that simple picture comparison is wrong and irrelevant on so many levels, I don't even know where to start.

Personally I can't remember a single important match in which Viktor seemed to be obviously lacking stamina (significantly more than his opponent that is). In that final against THW in Dubai last year in fact both players were very close to fainting on court. Which is nothing unusual at the end of an exhausting match at the end of an exhausting week.

Today he lost because of one simple fact: CL was overall the better player on court. We all know what he is capable of when he's in top form and today, he wasn't very far away from that. Actually I'm really glad to see him back at his former self. CL against VA is almost always a guarantee for an exciting and entertaining hour of badminton.

#658 s_mair, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Justin L and Mr Arc2 like this.
  19. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

@Anand S This is not the place for childish fan boys. Your argumentation is absolutely horrible. Badminton isnt a Bodybuilding contest.
    The fact of the matter is that CL was the better player today.
    But today wasnt the World Championship. CL absolutely got destroyed that one time in Glasgow if I remember correctly.
    I believe WC is worth more than a china open title.

20. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

It isn't childish argumentation, I was simply explaining why Chen Long is better than Axelsen. Chen Long was clearly injured at the Worlds (As evidenced by his heavy strapping, and he himself said so. This is also proven by the fact that he was in horrible form until this China Open). Axelsen got lucky at the worlds with Chen Long injured. The fact is that Chen Long is still the superior player.

Badminton isn't a bodybuilding contest, but I think we all know Chen Long is quite a bit fitter than Axelsen. Axelsen has more variations on the technical side of the game, through his immense talent, but Chen Long, through his sheer hard work trumps all of that.