Too slow shuttles - The german problem

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ucantseeme, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What should I say... I will ride on my bycycle to training in nearly 2 hours at 6°C, while it rains and a bit stormy. Anybody want to trade with me? :( @Ch1k0 do you feel a bit better, now? :)

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

We are using 76 here. In Winter. I'm not kidding. And I can assure you guys that it's not 30 °C in our halls...

3. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    o_O This would be a reason to raise my voice...or change the club... or move away. Serious, with this speed I wouldn't be happy to play. And you are from the south, right? It's colder winter than here in the west. And during summer? Tip every 2nd? or every 4th...not? I'm speechless....

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's about 10-15C in my hall and we're using speed 3s... much to my objection

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Edit: Before reading about this problem here, I never had trouble with this... Well, not that much at least.

The temperature in our home hall varies a lot. The heating is coupled with the ventilation which has to be turned off for playing badminton. Thus, it gets colder while playing and if some other team played before, it already is cold. During winter, the difference within a few hours can easily be more than five degrees.

Last Saturday, it was one of the days when it was slightly warmer in the hall and our shuttles might have been a little fast. Testing them, they landed around 20 cm behind the double service line (me). Our our opponents slowed them down and I tested again. Around 30 cm short of the line! Well, I said something about it, but they liked them, so we just started.... During the MD game, they said that they'd like to slow down the shuttle more. They tested it standing at their double service line and it still feel short 40 cm: "It's too fast." I tested again and it was almost half a meter short of the double service line: "This is not too fast, it's way too slow."

One of our opponents took the shuttle and destroyed it by completely breaking a father: "It doesn't fly properly any more."

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

But they all don't seem to mind... Maybe I'm the weird one. :(

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Rules are rules.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You know how you pick one feather with two fingers when you are about to do a backhand serve? I wasn't able to find a feather that wasn't damaged today. "The shuttle is still okay, isn't it?"... :(

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Serious, sometimes I also think that I must be very weird to people like "Stirnband Rüdiger", "Karl künstliches Kniegelenk" or "Dieter der Dorfälteste". But I don't care. They can all tell me that they play badminton since the medieval times, but if the speed is not correct it is not correct. I confront them with this issue. Life is short and my time on earth is limited, so I don't want to play a game where I need always to think: "If this would be the correct speed, everything would went different."

Rob3rt likes this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I feel you. I change the shuttle if it don't fly crisp in a game. Especially when a game is nearly gone, everybody agrees that a new shuttle would be a waste, because the game is in 5 minutes over, just because they are cheap to give a new one, because mine is gone. :( @Rob3rt maybe we should run a own club and keep the doors closed for cheap guys and slow-mo players. ;)

Ch1k0 and Rob3rt like this.
  11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I rather freeze than melt to death =(

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

12. speCulatius

Then let's trade. Try playing badminton in halls that are child enough to see your breath. Halls in which you only want to have a Glühwein after playing instead of a cold beer. Halls that are colder than the winter outside, because the heating broke and the ventilation pushed cold air into it all night long....

At your place, I might drink a lot of water, change my shirt every game and need even more water (or something similar) after playing, but I'd be very happy with that.

ucantseeme and phihag like this.
  13. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I'm happy not having to deal with either extreme.

14. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    To Australia!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

16. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Now I have seen a 76 :p
    Of something ...

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Just so you guys know I‘m not kidding.

18. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Here, in the Netherlands, we have the fortune of having lots of 78 speed shuttles being a little too fast, and 77 often being a little too slow. We end up buying 78 and tipping them.
    That chart with temperatures is pretty handy, though!

ucantseeme likes this.
  19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I want to post in this thread again. The season begun and the weather here gets colder. The problems get never solved just the way to communicate. I experience yesterday also the case that the opponents were stubborn to play a 77 shuttle according to the rules. I have them always on my phone, I always recommend a speedtest to judge the speed of the shuttle, but alot people are used to play slower shuttles. It's really hard to argue with people who say things like "we always tip them and nobody every complaint within ages" or still say "They are too fast. We know our shuttles" I'm a bit intolerant to such stupid manner to argue. They start to tip when a clear or lift goes out as basis for the judgement of the speed. I'm really sick of it. Anybody found an arguement or way to do to get out of this trap without starting a 10 minutes fight about the speed, yet? I refer the rules and invite anybody on court to do the speedtest. Even if the result says the speed is right, some come across with the arguement, that they can't test the speed, but the are too fast.o_O @phihag @speCulatius @s_mair @Rob3rt ?

phihag and thyrif like this.
  20. speCulatius

If someone tips the shuttle before testing them (at least one of the shuttles of each tube on that day), there's no argument, just take new ones and test them. If they really are too fast, you can give the pre-tipped ones a chance.

Rule wise, @phihag is the better resource than me, but my mind tells me that if there's an argument, either a neutral person (if available) can test the speed and decide or they're played straight out of the tube. No more testing. No more altering the shuttles.

I just had a match with quite slow shuttles. The opponents were not a problem though, they were nice and mostly agreed with us. When testing the speed, it was borderline acceptable, but they got slower quickly. It was RSL Tourney No.1, I think. It was really hard to get there proper length, thus I changed my game (and learned not to do that). To be fair, even the home team (choosing the shuttles) is kinda scared what will happen when the halls get colder. I think they'll switch shuttles again anyway, because we used 6 (six) tubes for one team match. With the AS30 my club uses, I do not remember a day when we used more than 3 1/2 tubes, most of the time 3 tubes are enough.

I've never seen people not knowing the speed test (and I know we're quite close), but I've encountered opponents cheating on it... it was not a underhand stroke anymore and just hit it 10 cm further in front and you'll make any shuttle go out of bounds.

I know it doesn't help a whole lot, but anyone who tips shuttles without testing lost my trust.

ucantseeme likes this.