Yonex ASTROX 77 (2017)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cycril, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mackstine

mackstine Regular Member

Hi Folks!
    Tried out my Astrox 77 for the first time tonight and wanted to share my experience.
    Bought it from Yu-Hin Sports in HK and muled it back to Canada. 3UG4 Metallic Blue, Strung it with BG-65Ti at 28 (27x29 = 28 right?) lbs. Played mostly doubles, and got destroyed pretty bad in singles (more due to lack of fitness though)
    Holy cow is this racket fast! and it has so much pop to it when doing flat drives, defensive shots, blocks - the shuttle just rockets back to the other side. Control didn't take long to get used to. Was pulling off some nice tight net shots, good accurate drop shots, and pinpointing my return drives quite consistently. Such a nice big sweet spot that seems easy to hit all the time. I'd say it was probably one of my best defensive nights I've had in a while.
    I did find the smashes to be a bit lacking (this is probable given my previous racket is a 4U VT80 PG edition), but it didn't bother me that much, if anything it forced me to play a bit more tactically rather than trying to overpower my opponents with a smash, although I may consider trying a thinner string to see if the higher repulsion might give me some more oompf to it.
    All in all, I quite liked it, and I'm very happy with my acquisition. Yonex did not disappoint with this one, so I'm looking forward to my next session to get even better acquainted with the new racket.

Cheers folks

2. Indra Sagala

Indra Sagala New Member

Iam LDF and ax77 user,so maybe i can help you a little..
    My both ax77 (yellow) and Ldf NC using a same spec,4ug5 with 28x29 ultimax,grip ac 405 (3/4 handle).
    In my opinion :
    Drive : ax77>Ldf
    Defense : ax77>Ldf (much enough)
    Netting : ax77<Ldf (not much almost identical)
    Smash : ax77<Ldf (not much too)
    Drop shot : ax77=Ldf
    Lob : ax77>Ldf (not much)
    Accuracy : ax77<Ldf (this is the part that i lost on ax77 from Ldf)

I dont know if ax77 would be an upgrade for you from Ldf.. but its a good racquet overall.
    And the balance point between this two racquet is just about 0.1-0.2cm. Ldf 302-303mm and ax77 297-298mm.
    Some people say ax77 yellow more HH than blue,some people dont. I dont know it yet,but the seller said that the blue is less hh than the yellow and the difference about 1cm.
    For arcsaber 11.. hmm i dont know,i already bought this racquet 3times but it didnt suited me well. But its a good racquet,for single and double.
    Hope it help.

#582 Indra Sagala, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    thats weird balance point for an ax77! never expected a voltric BP. this is zf2 level bp, mine was 310mm for a 4u zf2

4. Indra Sagala

Indra Sagala New Member

Sorry my bad..
    I've check again today,the balance on my previous post its not right. I already edited it.
    Fyi I never using an original grip,and only using towel grip yonex ac 402 (sorry i said 405 on my previous post) 3/4 of it. With this setup my racquet always different from others,because the balance change quite much. Thanks for your attention.

5. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

299mm with original grip top with ac102 cover around 1cm above cone, is that normal? 3ug5 yellow :D

6. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Are these bp's quoted on strung rackets? Sorry if thats a daft question i just wasnt sure..

7. KingCantona

KingCantona Regular Member

I am a user Duora 10 3U and current backup is a 3U BS12. I am really interested to get the Astrox. I play twice a week, mainly double and at intermediate level. I am a all rounder player both attacking and front court.
    The D10 works well for me. The BS12 is all good except smashing power. If I would to get the Astrox, should I get the 3U or 4U?

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Once 3U, always 3U. One of my friend did the mistake of buying a 4U to try, realized it was too flaccid and way, WAY too light, and got a 3U after that. Money burnt.

Anyway the AX77 isn't such a head heavy thing that it'll break you the moment you swing it (its NOT a replacement to the ZF2), so honestly, this is essentially a D10 with a bit more of head weight. Slower swing by a bit but that much more accessible power.

If anything, AX77 is more to a off-QC, off-balance (to the higher side) Arc11 than an on-point Voltric would be.

justinloong and visor like this.
  9. KingCantona

Do you AX77 or ARC11 is a better choice for me? In Malaysia, the price different of these two is about USD25 only.

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

AX77.

Try first talk later.

11. KingCantona

I bought the 4U Yellow. After some discussion with seller, advise me to get the 4U Yellow instead of 3U Blue. I have weighted the frame it is at 85g, the blue is consistently 2g lighter both for 3U and 4U. I have strung it with BG66U @28lbs.

I just had 2 hours game with it. The initial feeling is quite powerful for a 4U and overall weight do not tire my arm so much compared to the 3U D10.

I need more games in order to get use to this racket. So far the feeling is good.

Ee Soon Yong likes this.
  12. TankQ86

TankQ86 New Member

Just got myself 1 blue 4U 5G and the code is 200972HK on the cone while 0033648 on the lower bottom of the shaft just on top of the cone, any specific meaning to them or we can track those number to know if this racket is authentic?

speCulatius likes this.
  13. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

First code says when the date of when it was produced. So it's DDMMYxCC. Where DDMMY is 20th september 2017. Don't think the next digit means anything and then country code.
    The second set of numbers are I think the manufacturing number. I.e. For every racket Yonex produces it gets a new number. Because the number can roll over, you can roughly predict some ranges for any given year. It's outside my expertise, but have read some examples on this forum referring to this.

Side note. Got a blue and yellow 4U Th coded. The yellow is also 2g heavier than the blue. Will string at least one of them to try out tomorrow, if my jetlag allows it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

TankQ86 likes this.
  14. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I read somewhere (https://www.proshack.in/blogs/info/how-to-identify-a-genuine-yonex-racket) that the single number before the country code is for the revision number of the racket. "Rackets that have a lot of generations gets a higher number for each generation". Not quite sure though what this exactly means. Might be for when they tweak some rackets for any production value.

15. TankQ86

TankQ86 New Member

Hm, ok. Thanks for the info. Guess this means my racket is made on 20th Sept 2017, 2nd revision, distribute in Hong Kong? I got this racket in Malaysia though... :eek:

16. Leemarc

Leemarc Regular Member

HK code racket are less inferior compare to SP IP or other code.

17. TankQ86

TankQ86 New Member

Oh, any source to read on this?

18. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

That's not true. There are no real informations about this claim.

TankQ86 and offbad like this.
  19. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, seeking advice, just bought two Astrox 77 rackets online from a trusted vendor in Japan (I have previously bought JP coded rackets from this store, always with no problems). However, the Astrox 77 I receive don't seem to have country code; rather, they both have same code which is only 17117268. Is anyone able to validate if YY coding methods have changed for JP rackets? Thanks!

20. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Yes , nowadays JP coded rackets don't alphabets in serial codes so should be fine .