New Scoring System from September 2016

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Toastie, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Continuous changing of scoring system implies that the sport is spineless.

samkool likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

5 x 10 is even better than 11 x 5. Why stop there?

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Based on my experience in table tennis I strongly doubt that. TT was never the same after the change, and for the amateur players (who should be a concern as well, since they're the overwhelming majority and also generate a good portion of the revenue) it made single games less important, and there was less (if any) memorable comebacks or drawn-out close fights since the games are just so damn short.

stanleyfm, stradrider and thyrif like this.
  4. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    1 x 50 :D

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  5. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    I'm keeping an open mind but I do feel that 3 games to 21 hits the sweet spot between matches that are long enough to give a good playing session and short enough to give good drama and keep a high pace in the match.

Maybe shorter matches will up the pace of the game even more as stamina won't be as much of a factor, which could be good to watch and play in.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

stanleyfm, Rob3rt and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

I think the difference between 'good' and 'great' will be vastly reduced which will be a real shame. 21x3 is perfect because you can take your time to adjust to the opponent and playing conditions.

Example, this year's All England QF - Lin Dan vs Viktor Axelsen 7-21 21-13 21-14.

Don't think this victory was possible with 11x5 as it took Lin Dan 30 odd points to adjust to Viktor's steaming pace.

Abu Tanki likes this.
  7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I have to admit, I am not ready to not see this kind of classic anymore (Okuhara-Sindhu 2017, LCW-LD 2013) and see different type of classic.......

The upsets in term of underdog beating higher seed seems to be more often with the new rule, but seems like I am content with the current probability of this to occur. Too many upsets just taking away the epicness of the best upset (or normal upset).

Also, I am really so not ready to not have such 'great overtake' in a set where someone already trailing 8-9 points behind.... I think this kind of upset/drama is even more tense and dramatic than having an underdog upset

#147 stanleyfm, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The equivalent scoreline would be 3-11 4-11 15-13 11-5 11-7. Sure, Lin Dan has to start scoring a little bit earlier, but it's the same story to tell. And in contrast to 3x21 where no game is ever close, with 5x11 there is a highlight everybody talks about in the third game, when Lin Dan survived a couple of matchpoints.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Maybe, but doubtful. Very possible Viktor would've blown him away before he got his bearings, especially since facing match point being 2 games down is psychologically different from 1 game (its stupid, but thats how we are :D). I didnt like the change in TT and I have very strong doubts I'll like it more in badminton.
    I really do not see why its needed, in my opinion better media presence (as in higher quality production) and better highlighting of the more spectacular aspects of the sport (i.e. highlight clips that show of athletic ability, great shots,...) would be more effective at attracting new viewers than somehow trying to fit badminton into some obscure 'perfect format'.
    As far as tournament organisation goes, I personally dont think it'll be much of an improvement, and there's bigger problems to tackle, like the Indonesia Open desaster where they played deep into the night because of the shitty scheduling that had nothing to do with the length of the matches, but rather some backwards cr*p like a muslim holiday or something....
    Also, umpires and service judges still need to improve. Probably better incentives are needed, so that its actually worth people's effort and not just a very stressful holiday (iirc most umpires have different jobs but take time off to do the umpiring).
    Anyhow. I really dont want this format. The end. :D

Abu Tanki likes this.
  10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

agree with this
    agree that something outside should not affect the schedule that much.
    but please don't say that as a 'crap'

ebcd likes this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well in my opinion it's backwards, unevolved and stupid to let a religious holiday affect something in that manner. Either it's a national holiday and you dont want to run an event at all that day or you want to do it - then you have to do it professionally as you otherwise would.

I will try to avoid derogatory terms, yes, although in this case I was actually holding back

An example - here, you wouldnt run a tournament over, say, Christmas, which is a ntl holiday (25th and 26th of Dec). Sunday is normally free as well, but when you run an event you ignore that and (usually) pay the employees extra for working on a holiday. No starting at 4pm or anything remotely as ridiculous.

12. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

not always. MotoGP here in the Netherlands used to be hold on Saturday instead of Sunday

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's very inappropriate and irresponsible to write when the actual reason was a change to a new venue due to refurbishment of the original venue. The replacement venue had three courts instead of four. Get your facts right before making yourself look like an idiot.

ebcd and R20190 like this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well I only went off of what I read here - I know it was a new venue, but there were several comments that specified that it also started late due to Ramadan or sth.
    Anyhow, apologies to all involved.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah but in case you have to use the Sunday, as is the case with badminton tournaments....you know what I mean, they won't say "but we'll only start at 1pm to give everyone time to get home from church" or sth :D

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Turns out Friday started at 4pm. I will not assume anything (I heard it was due to a religious holiday, but I can't find a reliable source quickly), but that's what I remembered. I seem to have mixed up something though as I had remembered the entire week starting in the afternoon, and that was wrong, again I apologize.
    4pm seems kind of late to me with matches starting at 11:30 the next day, but not nearly as bad as I thought.
    Thursday was an absolute mess though, with 11 matches starting at 3pm on court 1 and no match starting before 1pm with at least 12 matches per court. That's inexcusable, even more so when you have less courts than usual.

17. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

[QUOTE="j4ckie, post: 2606096, member:]
    Also, umpires and service judges still need to improve. Probably better incentives are needed, so that its actually worth people's effort and not just a very stressful holiday (iirc most umpires have different jobs but take time off to do the umpiring. Anyhow. I really dont want this format. The end. :D[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about the umpires, especially whenever it comes to enforcing the 'Play should be continuous' rule. IMO the umpires on the European tournament circuit are actually very good in this respect.

I'd keep 3x21, but reduce the length of the mid-game interval to 30", and the between games interval to 60".

smautf

18. phihag

phihag Regular Member

My understanding is that these intervals are necessary to show TV advertisements. So if your goal is to increase viewership (and ultimately prize money), an interval reduction may not be such a good idea.

Interestingly, the German Bundesliga mentioned before has gone to intervals of 90s between all games and at 6 in the final one.

19. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Agree. While trying (so hard) to be open-minded about changes, I think BWF tried to change too many things in a somewhat extreme way:

The current 3x21 scoring system doesn't need a big change as of now...

While the BWF World Tour concept have some good points, the calendar is too cramped and some tournaments might actually lose interest from players. It is also a pity they just simply throw the Superseries brand away.

The current service rule for me is the one that needs to be changed, let's see how 1.15 m rule works.

pcll99 and Michael V like this.
  20. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

they throw the super series brand away? what happened?