Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by rulebavaria, Dec 6, 2017.

1. rulebavaria

rulebavaria Regular Member

Hi all

I've been playing badminton since september so I'm still an absolute beginner. I'm playing only recreationally and this won't change but I still aim to improve steadily if I can.

I have been playing with a basic and cheap Yonex Nanoray 5 for now but I wonder if it's a good choice for a beginner. From what I understand it's a control-oriented racket, head light and with a stiff shaft.

Since my technique is far from perfect I feel that a more head heavy racket that's more power-oriented might be a better choice so that I don't focus as much on putting extra power in my strokes and concentrate on improving my technique?

Is my thoughr process and assesment of the nanoray 5 correct? If so what racket(s) would you suggest? Money is not really an issue since I don't mind investing in a hobby I'm more and more falling in love with but keep in mind that I dont aim to be a pro so I probably don't need the most high-end racket around.

2. Hans van Egteren

Hans van Egteren Regular Member

Hi, when I started back in 2013 I started with a Yonex Isometric Lite.
    This is a even balance racket with flexible shaft en a big sweet spot which makes a great beginners racket without breaking the bank.

rulebavaria likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A racket that I would always recommend to a motviated beginner is a Yonex Voltric 7 (now called 7Neo I think). Medium flex shaft (helps to generate power), slightly head heavy, but fairly light overall. Price is also fair I would say. What I would also recommend to do is to order it directly with a new stringjob with better strings (BG65ti, BG80P, Aerosonic) since the factory strings totally suck and actually make the racket feel a lot worse than it should.

If you are in the mood to spend a little more, then have a look at the new Yonex Astrox 77 (in 4U weight!), Li-Ning N50-III or N80.

#3 s_mair, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    rulebavaria likes this.
  4. rulebavaria

Ok so from what i gather the Astrox 77 would be the more high-end product right? It's not head-heavy like the Voltric 7Neo but somehow reviews say that it generates power easily.

I have found it online (blue version) for 150€ including Yonex BG80 strings, strung at 24-25 lbs. Shipment also included.

The Voltric 7Neo comes at 70€ (on the same website) but since the strings are not mentionned I guess they are factory strings? If I want to add good strings I would have to put up around 20-25€ more probably.

I guess I have to think about it. I don't think I'm at a level where I need an amazing racket but the temptation is great I have to admit.

5. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Ive used a voltric 7 for about 5 years, im maybe a good social/club player nothing more but love this racket for its ease of use.. easy power and its very light and great in defence, its not very head heavy only slightly, trick is not to get drawn into big string tensions.. i use 23/24lbs and find really good power with good control, ive also used 27lbs in the same racket and found the power i generated dropped a lot! Use a voltric 7 and work on your overall game to improve, the racket is more than good enough you wont gain anything yet by buying an astrox 77 put the extra cash towards some good footwear and practise! Thats my 2p anyway..

rulebavaria likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sums up the situation quite accurately.

VT7 comes factory string with that awful BG3 string. A new string job should be around 15 EUR max. at the bigger online shops (bsl24, racket-outlet, smoof...). As said already, a good and durable string would be BG65ti at somewhere around 21 lbs. That would fit to both feather and plastic shuttles.

The Astrox77 is not that different from the VT7. Balance is around the same, the AX77 is maybe a bit stiffer. But let's face it: If you play with a VT7 and lose against someone with an AX77, it was definitely not the racket's fault.

I know 2. Bundesliga players that still use a VT7, so you can be sure that it will be a looong way until you reach the racket's limit. But hey, if money is not a real issue and you have fun and maybe get some extra motivation in holding one of the latest high-end rackets, then why not?!

rulebavaria likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    What a coincidence, I got today 2 brandnew VT7Neo for restring. The owner bought it based on his teammate who uses the VT7. I weighted both models and weight and head weight are the same. I would say that the VT7Neo is stiffer than the old VT7. I strung a lot of the VT7. A solid and great racket. It seems that the shaft of the Neo is shorter due the longer cap. From my impression there is a noticeable difference in stiffness. If IIRC the Astrox 77 which I had in my hands was a bit more flexible. I wouldn't bet my nuts on it, just my impressions if my mind don't fool me.

Headweight ~37g (dry, plastic intact), overall weight was ~84g

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just had a look in the different shops and I think that bsl24.de currently offers a really good deal for the VT7Neo (http://www.bsl24.de/Artikel/tabid/4...lt.aspx?txtSearch=YONEX+-+Voltric+7+Neo+-2017) plus a new string of choice for 15,- EUR (http://www.bsl24.de/Artikel/tabid/4663/CategoryID/645/Level/a/ProductID/8631/Default.aspx).

Or.... http://www.bsl24.de/Artikel/tabid/4663/ProductID/9824/Default.aspx?txtSearch=YONEX+-+Astrox+77+blau.... :)

9. rulebavaria

Thanks for the the help guys.

I have ordered a VT7 Neo plus the BG65ti strings. Shipment should arrive on monday. Are there any risks that the racket could be a fake? Should i post pictures when I receive it?

stanleyfm likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

As long as you have ordered it from one of the shops mentioned above, there is zero need to worry. They are all certified Yonex dealers. In general, it will be very unlikely that you get a fake racket at a German shop. It's a lot more dangerous if you but from Asia.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. Let us know how it feels once got have tried it.

rulebavaria likes this.
  11. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

vt7 is one of the best midrangers, it looks pretty good too

rulebavaria likes this.
  12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO there is no need to be afraid to get a fake, regardless from anywhere when you order a mid end racket. Normally popular highends could be often fake in Asia, because you can make alot money from it. For unpopular rackets or mid end ones, it wouldn't be smart to fake them. The name and the slightly lower to lower price make them attractive for potential buyers and with a VT7 inside Europe...the chances would be higher to win the lottery.

sautom88 likes this.
  13. rulebavaria

One question about the stringing: as a beginner who plays mainly with Mavis 2000 plastic shuttles, how should I string? I was thinking around 9,5kg (21 lbs). Is that ok? Too much? Not enough?

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

9,5 kg with BG65ti should be good with plastics and also with feathers if you might want to try that too at some point (do it! it's worth it!). It might feel a little hard ibn the beginning, but after a couple of hours the string loses tension noticeably and should feel nice. I wouldn't go any lower.

15. rulebavaria

I will do just that thanks :)

I have already bought and tried a set of aerosensa 30 (speed 3). But they are too slow given my crappy technique and how cold our hall is in the winter plus they break quite fast since we still mishit regularly.

Also i didn't know then that you have to keep them moist. But i have a set of AS30 speed 4 arriving from London and i will make sure to try them out when i'm somewhat better. :)

16. rulebavaria

I have finally received my (hopefully) awesome racket. It took a bit longer than I expected but it's not an issue since I am taking a break from playing for a week (my shoulder really needs some rest). Here are some pictures, I trust it's not a fake but I am posting them anyway. I will let you know how the racket feels as soon as I have tried it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tec07 likes this.
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nah, don't worry a second. Great racket, congrats. Hope your shoulder feels better soon so you can enjoy your new weapon.

Hans van Egteren and rulebavaria like this.
  18. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

oh, is it the same thing as the ori vt 7, my friend has the vt7 ld edition, matte black, it was really fun to play with and looks really good

19. rulebavaria

Still haven't tried it yet and already bothering you with another question. A friend of mine (absolute beginner as weel) wants a new racket for christmas. I would have suggested the VT7 Neo but his max budget is at 50€. What would you recommend in that price range?

20. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Not sure what you can get for 50. First idea would be the Senston N80 (look at Amazon), but I've never tried it.

I don't know if there really is a huge improvement between 20 or 30 (Yonex Isometric Power,...) and 50€. But what I really don't understand is why a complete beginner wants to have a new racket? to me this means that he already has a racket. Why a new one? Maybe fresh strings (they make a big difference!).....?

Sport Klauer (badminton-total.de or something like that) had a deal for the astrox 6 and 7 for 55€. Not sure if that's still available. And that's above budget already, but almost certainly worth the money. Give them a call, if it's not available online any more.