BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In what way is it a step backward ? On the contrary, it's a step forward. I'm sure BWF and the badminton world at large are thankful, even grateful, that Guangzhou, China, is offering to host the BWF World Tour for the following four years, 2018 to 2021, and that for an increased prize money of USD 1.5 million.

It's a load off BWF's mind and I believe all professional players welcome it. Who else can commit to such an undertaking?

I'm afraid Dubai is no longer such a good place if you've read about the cost-cutting measures and shrinking budget for the last SSF 2017.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Haha

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Err, it is already cheap. Hehe.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't agree. It goes to the place where the money is. If a place in China is willing to put up the money, then that is the place to be.

It can be any place in the world. Dubai is not a bedrock of badminton but it was the best place at the time.

Heck, if @Yoji is willing to put bigger money up for sponsorship to get it to a preferred place, I would support that!

Yoji likes this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

But I still have some contents from that website...

Banner:
    World Tour Template logo:
    It's still generic version. I think BWF is not ready with the graphic presentation of the brand new World Tour logo or else it's too early too make an official announcement since they haven't had the final logo yet.

AND I found the hostname of website bwfworldtour.com is listed at mail.ipnama.net [Source]
    Code:
    Street: Lot 2-1, Incubator 1, Technology Park Malaysia, Bukit Jalil
    City: Kuala Lumpur
    State: Wilayah Persekutuan
    Postal Code: 57000
    Source: whois.com

#185 Master, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's confirmed, Guangzhou is selected by BWF to host the World Tour Finals for 2018-2021, i.e. four consecutive years.
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-01-08/doc-ifyqkarr7935714.shtml

To be honest and realistic, BWF not only goes where the money is, Guangzhou also happens to have the enviable track record of successfully hosting all the BWF major events, viz. The Thomas/Uber Cup The Sudirman Cup, The World Junior Championships, the China Open PSS, the World Championships proper, virtually the "Grand Slam" tournaments.

Actually, Guangzhou needs no introduction for any visitor, it has everything to offer and more, modern, vibrant, convenience, food paradise, first-class transport system, tourist attractions for leisure, natural and cultural value, historical sites, entertainment, adventure, and what have you. In terms of GDP, Guangzhou city with a population of 14 million is economically as large as the whole of Switzerland now. http://www.visualcapitalist.com/31-chinese-cities-economies-big-countries/

I'm merely stating the facts as I know them (and, yes, I've been to Guangzhou), not trying to promote the city or anything. Personally, apart from China hosting it, I'd like other places like Australia, Japan, HKSAR, UK, Switzerland, Macau SAR, Germany, for example.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The only thing I hope Guangzhou will or must do is to provide livestreams for every court from Day 1.

Better still, if they can afford the money as well, how about IRS, i.e. Hawk-Eye, not only for TV court but all the courts from QFs onward ?! Yes, dream on.

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Actually, they will livestreams both 2 courts from day 1
    That is already BWF's plan since months ago (or years maybe)
    Not sure with Hawk-Eye, but I believe they will also put it for both courts

9. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

It may still be cheap, but if you really want to grow, don't act cheap. That way, you will be seen as cheap

samkool likes this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So is it a step forward if it cant even find a neutral venues?

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I wonder , if anyone can count how many BWF1000,700&500 LCW LD CL converted from SS?

Well WorldTourFinals is WTF though so its separate.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Do these idiots know why the ATP names them as 1000,500 and 250?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Where's your money?

stanleyfm likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This was not an issue in selecting Dubai.

I see one consideration is the sponsor being HSBC with an eye on increasing their exposure in the China market. Simply strategic.

You need to listen to your sponsor.

15. Master

Master Regular Member

Ehmm.... in a bank, it's HSBC now :cool:

Cheung likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Neutral venue, neutrality ? How is holding it in China not neutral ? Biased umpiring (against the rules anywhere) and linejudging ( for which there is Hawk-Eye), besides, what's the requirement for international officials, umpires, linejudges, tournament referees ?

When the WC was held in , say, Copenhagen 2014, were you worried about Denmark's neutrality ?

Hmm...why didn't BWF concern themselves with venue neutrality issues before awarding it to Guangzhou.

I'm sorry to say, your concerns is overblown or unnecessary, as it can be easily addressed or prevented; otherwise, how many countries we have to leave out for major or prestigious events. Not only China, what about South Korea, Japan, Denmark, Malaysia, India, Thailand, practically all the badminton 1st and 2nd tier powerhouses.

When the pros far outweigh the cons and the con(s) if any can be effectively tackled, there is no problem then. I'm sure BWF know better and we should trust BWF as the world-governing body for badminton to do a good job of regulating, supervising and implementing the rules and ensuring the fairness, professionalism and success of the events they sanctioned.

I believe your concern is the least of BWF's concerns.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For Dubai, that's the case as badminton is not popular there but Dubai is known for holding world class events which was one of the government's goals to promote the city.

There's no denying Guangzhou's track record is a big plus, in addition to the higher prize money as part of their bid. And it goes without saying, China's huge market is an irresistible draw for any organizer and sponsor.

#197 Justin L, Jan 8, 2018
  18. Master

Master Regular Member

BWF Launches HSBC Partnership and 'Guangzhou Finals'

[​IMG]

In a landmark announcement, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) today launched its remodelled world tour and presented HSBC as its Principal Global Partner in an extensive sponsorship agreement that will catapult badminton to unprecedented heights.

The global banking group will have a corporate presence across BWF’s entire suite of events – title-sponsoring the new HSBC BWF World Tour and the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals for the next four years as well as becoming Premier Sponsor for the BWF Major Events (World Championships, Sudirman Cup and Thomas & Uber Cup Finals).

On the development front, HSBC has been named as BWF Global Development Partner, working with the world-governing body to grow badminton globally.

Neatly wrapped around these details was the presentation of the polished and evolutionary tour branding, including the titles of the different tour levels; unveiled to media and industry colleagues at a launch event and press conference in Guangzhou this afternoon. The international federation revealed that Guangzhou will be home to the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals for the 2018-2021 tournament cycle; a fitting location given badminton’s prominence in China and HSBC’s focus on the Pearl River Delta region.

Welcoming HSBC to the BWF’s global family, BWF President Poul-Erik Høyer said: “This is a significant milestone in our federation’s history. We are stepping boldly into the future with a partnership that will define badminton for the ages.

HSBC enjoys a cachet that is the envy of the banking world. It has distinguished itself across the panorama of sport as a brand of excellence – a brand with which BWF is proud to partner."

We are partnering with HSBC because we are committed to being the world’s sport.

Helen Wong, Chief Executive Greater China of HSBC, said: “HSBC is excited to help grow this popular sport across Asia and beyond, through this global partnership with the BWF. Supporting the new HSBC BWF World Tour, we hope to develop deeper relationships with athletes, fans, customers and employees on every stop, including here in Guangzhou."

The Pearl River Delta is an important market for HSBC and it’s great to see Guangzhou being celebrated as the new home for the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals. Through this partnership, we look forward to supporting badminton at all levels.

The BWF also took the opportunity to present the Chinese Badminton Association and the city of Guangzhou – represented by the Guangzhou Sports Bureau – as key partners of the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals – the signature, year-end finale for which only the cream of the crop qualify.

China is a crucial badminton market and we are pleased to entrust one of our flagship tournaments – indeed the pinnacle of the tour season – to Guangzhou for the next four years. We appreciate the cooperation which we have received in launching this partnership and we look forward to working closely with the Chinese Badminton Association and the Guangzhou Sports Bureau to deliver an event of the highest calibre,” said Høyer.

Speaking on behalf of Guangzhou City Government, Deputy Secretary General Zhang Jianhua said Guangzhou is grateful to BWF and CBA for entrusting the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals to the city.

It's Guangzhou’s honour to host the Finals. It is a big responsibility and we will give our best with the assistance of BWF and CBA and with the public's support. We will strive to have the best facility, organization and service to ensure the tournament’s success."

Badminton is a traditional sport in Guangzhou. The city has had eight World champions and two Olympic champions. There are millions of people learning badminton in Guangzhou and we hope more people will start playing badminton.

Secretary General of the Chinese Badminton Association (CBA), Lei Jun, stated the Chinese badminton community is very proud to be entrusted with the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals and pledged to uphold the high standards which are associated with the season finale.

It is an honour for China to be the guardians of the new HSBC BWF World Tour Finals. This is an exciting time and we look forward to working with the city of Guangzhou, BWF and HSBC to ensure a spectacular event for our top players.

Meanwhile, BWF Secretary General Thomas Lund said the potential to increase badminton’s global presence, broadcast coverage and the popularity of elite players – under one umbrella brand – was a major catalyst in the decision to merge and rebrand BWF tournaments.

Our objective was to evolve all our events into a unified, distinctive brand that will strengthen brand awareness and value. This will make it possible to improve the quality of the events while making the tour more financially beneficial for hosts and players alike,” he explained.

Source : http://www.badmintoneurope.com/cms/default.aspx?clubid=4685&cmsid=239&pageid=5381&m=5494958

#198 Master, Jan 8, 2018
    Justin L likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

However, if your concern with venue neutrality has to do with homeground advantage, that's even less of an issue.

How did Srikanth, LCW and JOJ win the CHN Open PSS in 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively ?

How did Lin Dan win the MAS Open PSS last year ?

How did Gao Fangjie win the KOR Masters last Nov and Wang Zhiyi bested Sung Ji Hyun in the QFs?

And there are many such examples.

A non-issue as far as BWF and the players are concerned.

Indeed, with HSBC committed to China, esp focusing on the Pearl River Delta region, BWF has caught a big fish as their Principal Global Partner, hopefully for the long haul, beyond four years, as the China market is indisputably the largest in the world, that not only for badminton.

20. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I don't think World Tour Finals being held in China of all place will be a problem.
    Not prestigious like Dubai? Maybe, but there is no problem at all.