BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Guangdong is definitely a centre for badminton in China. Along with Fujian and Beijing.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    HSBC never sponsor the Hong Kong Open nor the China Open before.

But they are now sponsoring the whole BWF World Tour and the Finals!!

i hope with the money coming from HSBC, BWF can deliver better events for all of us.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The prestigious part, I'm afraid I don't quite agree. Frankly, I fail to see how Guangzhou is less prestigious than Dubai, not only from the badminton point of view but in other areas as well, the economy, the history, culture, food, tourist attractions, overall potential for growth and development, its rich hinterland, etc.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Including BWF Major Events (World Championships, Sudirman Cup and Thomas & Uber Cup Finals).

For a start, the World Tour Finals now offer a higher prize money, USD 1.5 mil as opposed to USD 1 mil previously.

5. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

So TOTAL will be the 'title sponsor' and HSBC will be 'premier sponsor', right?

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not sure as there's no mention of Total or even MetLife. I guess the two said sponsors will still be in but on a much smaller scale than before with HSBC taking the largest chunk of the sponsorship agreement with BWF.

7. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

As far as I know MetLife partnership is already done and dusted. But BWF extended their partnership with TOTAL for BWF Major Events until 2021 (signed during the bidding for BWF World Tour and some Major Events 2018-2019). I assume that we will still have TOTAL BWF Thomas and Uber Cups/Sudirman Cup (coz they are the 'title sponsor') but HSBC will also sponsor in some way.

I mean how can BWF stop partnering with TOTAL so suddenly...

8. TSO22

TSO22 Regular Member

Except for those disappointed names, BWF have done a very good job
    How can you say that BWF take badminton to the bottom since the popularity of the sport is increasing in the recent years and prize money of the whole tour increase by 40% from 2017, huh?

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

That I agree. The increased of prize money is a good thing. It is not like badminton is super popular with European countries like Asia.
    The popularity has increased well and I think BWF is doing good.

10. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I think HSBC is strictly sponsoring the world tour
    just like how MetLife strictly sponsoring the SuperSeries

11. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Somehow, I think I will keep referring these tournaments as follows:

Level 1 : World Tour Final
    Level 2 : World Tour Super Series Premier
    Level 3 : World Tour Super Series
    Level 4 : World Tour Grand Prix Gold
    Level 5 : World Tour Grand Prix
    Level 6 : World Tour

seems like moving on gonna be difficult for me haha

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

From now and the following years at least, BWF has done a commendable job of restructuring the tournaments and getting the prize money increased significantly, if not substantially, but the nomenclature or rebranding of the tournament names or titles is so unoriginal, boring, uninspiring, uninteresting, stale that it almost dampens our spirit and kills our excitement. Yeah, I exaggerate but that's how I feel.

For this I'm not appeased by Shakespeare's famous quote “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.” In this case, it's more than you think as names can really make a difference.

Methinks, it's still not too late for BWF to do something about it.

13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    so, suggest a neutral venue...

the dubai deal was a combination of desperation & luck. nobody else was willing to put up the money.

you have to go where the money is. if you don't understand that, well, this conversation won't progress.

14. Master

Master Regular Member

I believe that TOTAL & BWF have agreed a partnership extension until 2021 and confirming Total’s title sponsorship would stay covering BWF Major Events.

The latest addition, HSBC, is a clear message as becoming Premier Sponsor for the BWF Major Events.

Both of them could walk along together.

15. Master

Master Regular Member

HSBC replaced MetLife. TOTAL remains as title sponsor until 2021.

If you still remember, previously MetLife replaces OSIM. It will go the same with HSBC replaced MetLife.

In fact, HSBC have a larger tournament coverage with the new BWF event structure add GPG (Level 5/Super 300) tournament into the main World Tour when the previous sponsor handle just SuperSeries event.

Yes, the way is the same as that, plus including GPG now.

It should be like these :

Level 2 : (you need a name here)
    Level 3 : Super Series Premier
    Level 4 : Super Series
    Level 5 : Grand Prix Gold
    Level 6 : Grand Prix

Level 2 is not SSP, it gives higher points than SSP. First time maybe difficult to remember and to mention it, you will get used to it later.

16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I know, but I don't like to add another name there (higher than SSP). That's why I prefer
    Level 2 : World Tour Super Series Premier
    Level 3 : World Tour Super Series
    Level 4 : World Tour Grand Prix Gold
    Level 5 : World Tour Grand Prix
    Level 6 : World Tour
    where I still stay consistent with the term 'World Tour' and partially setting aside level 6 World Tour without giving it an extension name at all. Just like how BWF does not give the name world tour to it, and only 'tour'. But I still see this as a tournaments part of the world tour, thus keeping the name world tour (should also accounted for calculating WTF participation as well)

17. Master

Master Regular Member

You will be more confused if you insist on these things, believe me!

Old SSF : World Tour Final
    Nothing Old : World Tour Super Series Premier
    Old SSP : World Tour Super Series
    Old SS : World Tour Grand Prix Gold
    Old GPG : World Tour Grand Prix
    Old GP : World Tour

The previous formal complete name is MetLife BWF World Superseries and people choose to stay away from the term World and the sponsor name
    This time within a new name HSBC BWF World Tour Super 1000/750/500/300, people will choose to stay away from the term World Tour and they would just use Super 1000/750/500/300 for the easy one.

I don't think BWF will include Level 6 tournament into World Tour Finals qualification, after all.
    BWF mentioned only 26 tournaments (3+5+7+11) as a part of World Tour.

Level 6 is given name BWF Tour Super 100, it's clearly not a part of BWF World Tour.

Level 6 is a pathway/entry point into others World Tour (not World Tour Finals).

5.3.6 Player Commitment Regulations said :
    Top players couldn't play more than four Level 5 tournaments. Level 6 is not mentioned there (no regulation mention about Level 6 tournament for the top players).

18. event

event Regular Member

True, but in the same document, it says: "One other category of tournament, the BWF Tour Super 100 level, also offers HSBC BWF World Tour ranking points. Although this level is not part of the HSBC BWF World Tour, ...". And of course, the BWF World Tour Regulations still list all 6 levels as belonging to the BWF World Tour. So the BWF contradicts itself but in two different places, it mentions that the Level 6/Tour 100/Grand Prix points will be included.

That said, I agree it begs the question of what the purpose is of the maximum of 4 Level 5/Super 300/Grand Prix Gold tournaments and whether this will be accompanied by 'Top Committed Players' being banned from playing Level 6 or International Challenges. Presumably, it is either to prevent them from skipping Superseries to reap easier points in Grand Prix Gold. It doesn't seemed designed to keep GPG events weak, since they can still play in 4 of them and they can play all 11 of them as long as they play all 15 of the neo-Superseries.

19. TSO22

TSO22 Regular Member

The full paragraph is

One other category of tournament, the BWF Tour Super 100 level, also offers HSBC BWF World Tour ranking points. Although this level is not part of the HSBC BWF World Tour, it is an important part of the pathway and entry point for players into the HSBC BWF World Tour tournaments.

I think that Super 100 is also included in the world tour finals ranking.

20. Master

Master Regular Member

Let's bold this word :

BWF Tour Super 100 level, also offers HSBC BWF World Tour ranking points.

The other is BWF World Tour Finals Ranking (formerly Destination Dubai Ranking).

More clear here: