How much is the difference between men and women players?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SSSSNT, Dec 15, 2017.

1. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

Women are MASSIVELY disadvantaged in physics and therefore they are evenly huge disadvantaged in a badminton game. So its a very unfair comparison from the get go, still its somehow interesting thinking about where women would fit in in Mens competition.

How big the difference? Differs largely from at what level you look at.

I would wildly guess that the very top international women stars would be at a level of 3rd german league.

If I look at training, i have good statistics in Men games 9th league of Germany and I would have close tough matches against 4th and 5th league players here.

Showmatches ala Lin Dan vs X are COMPLETELY useless because he will never play any serious. (also without cameras he would not play serious, no sense in that)

Rob3rt likes this.
  2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Are you suggesting a difference of ~4 leagues?

In belgium, 1.5 ranking levels could be around 3 or 4 leagues apart.

#22 SolsticeOfLight, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My experience has been that amateur players vastly underestimate the difference between themselves and professionals.

Obviously no female player will ever beat a (current) world-class man, due to men having a significant genetic/hormonal advantage in strength and speed. We can speculate how well the best women might do in the world rankings, but it's speculation.

What I can absolutely guarantee is that 99%+ of forum members here would get their arse handed to them on a plate by any female professional player, let alone someone like Tai Tzu-Ying.

Jesus Christ, yes!

ucantseeme and snowandlights like this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

No one is doubting that, I think. But then again, they play so many leagues higher than amateur players it‘s really not surprising.

Midnite89 likes this.
  5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh, I'd be willing to bet they are! I've had plenty of conversations over the years with deluded club players who reckon they could take on the top women.

Generally I find it hard not to just collapse in a fit of giggles as soon as the words come out their mouths. ;)

ucantseeme and snowandlights like this.
  6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

A really good and fairly advanced player I know played a singles match against a German national player. He started 5-0 and left the court a few minutes later. When he was asked how it went, he said: Well, I lost 21-5.

Gollum likes this.
  7. OhSearsTower

In my individual case - yes
    I dont know about the league system in belgium and also dont know what ranking levels mean.

You just cannot make general assumptions in this question. Especially in a forum like this were classifications are made and thrown out that only the writer actually knows what skill is really meant by that.
    Worldranking would be completely useless too. Because: Where would the best Women rank? They would rank in areas where the ranking has no value anyway!

8. SolsticeOfLight

Well, I think the measure is, in a competitive game, who would win.

For me ranking level is a "klassement".
    A B1 B2 C1 C2 D

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It also depends on the discipline, in my opinion. I can cope with with women who play Bundesliga in a doubles game. In singles, not so much. :p

10. avia

avia Regular Member

In current bwf rankings Lucas Clearbout is roughly at 100th rank ( 95 to be exact ), his movement on the court and strokes seem to be way superior to that of Tai Tzu Ying...
    But then its a speculation and only if there is a competitive match where the male player holds nothing back ( instead of avoiding to smash like in Lin Dan vs Intanon ) only then we can know the true results.

11. viver

viver Regular Member

Just came to read this thread. Not sure if the match referred here was the exhibition match on TV, between Wang YH and the China University Men's singles champion a few years back. The match itself was 7 points only and the MS player won by full force attack. My Chinese is not that good to understand totally what the MS player said about himself - he said he got into a Chinese Provincial team at an early age and trained regularly with the team until entering the college. He left the Provincial team after getting into the university but kept training there regularly 2-3 times per week. In my opinion, this guy is not really an amateur player, and you can't make too may conclusions with a 7-point match.

12. SolsticeOfLight

Hmm :-/ As you say, 7 points is far too little. It often takes that many points to experiment a little and guage your opponent.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Also, you have to consider that pros will never give it 100% in exhibition/friendly games. There's simply no need to risk injuring yourself and thus your chances of winning actual tournaments and earnings.

14. snowandlights

snowandlights Regular Member

I love how these league players think they would get anywhere close to TTY. :'D If you're not playing to a national standard you would get destroyed. You wouldn't be able to get a shot on the floor.

ucantseeme likes this.
  15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Nobody thinks that, well, at least not me. All I‘m saying is that TTY would probably lose against every single player in the Men‘s Singles Top 100 pretty bad.

16. OhSearsTower

I agree with the top100

I would like to see a top international woman play against a 2. Bundesliga male player. Maybe thats where it gets close? Pure speculation

World ranking doesnt tell anything outside the top 100, we have to think in leagues here I think.

17. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I totally disagree about leagues as reference. Where you play isn't the result of a video game play mode or success. If your first team wants you, you are in, if they don't want you, not. IMO there are to less regulations for league players where somebody needs to play. So to me leagues are a faulty reference. For Germany a lot decent players play lower than they can. Don't underestimate the value of money you need to hold a Bundesliga team for a club. At higher levels (Verbandsliga and above) you must compete as a full team. I see so many reasons to get chances to play higher and I personally also got the chance to help out much higher than I can honestly play. I also know somebody who dropped from Verbandsliga to Bezirksliga just because the new club don't have space for him in a Verbandsligateam and don't want to refuse the fellow mate. Leagues don't tell anything. ;)

Rob3rt likes this.
  18. realbacon

realbacon Regular Member

It's tough to gauge exactly where the men and women's rankings would match up. I would also agree that the top 100 men would be better than the top women. But what about the number 500 man? Or 1000?

I have played with highly ranked US Men's players and against former national team women in Taiwan (not a world champion level like TTY, but still a professional), and I didn't really stand a chance against either (scores of 21-5 to 21-8 or so). My level isn't high enough to get them to try, so I can't really compare those two national/ranked groups. However, my friend is a former US jr international player and plays at 1 level below US nationals, and he has not beaten me nearly as badly as the pro women did. Take from my experience what you will.

OhSearsTower and ucantseeme like this.
  19. OhSearsTower

jesus christ
    im talking about some average player who is a valid player in a certain league and neither gets destroyed nor destroys his league.
    I didnt think this was needed to mention. But as it seems, in this forum one has to post big walls of texts to get understood the correct way and not get misinterpreted by some absurd scenarios (I am ranting not because of this one posting, but because I feel like it is a special thing here in BC forums)

@topic: You can do such cases up for rankings too. I have the highest Stateranking in my club (skillwise maybe 15-20 better players than me in my club). Well guess what, i am the only one in the club who plays 3 (or more) ranking tournaments per year. If you play less you have severely less points.

worldranking outside of top100 doesnt tell anything imo
    and because I would think women cant beat top100 men the worldranking is a completely useless path to find anything of sense in our question

#39 OhSearsTower, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  20. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

In my experience US badminton level in general is quite bad. At least when compared to Asia.