DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters 2018 (23 - 28 Jan)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by pcll99, Jan 21, 2018.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

man... a lotttttttttt of world players are serving very very high.... look at dechapol, praveen, cps, boe, fhf, yys, even in WD like polii, her partner, and a lot others come on...
    personally for me as long as the shuttle flight goes up first then it's still acceptable.... there are in fact recreational players who has low serve that doesn't go up, it just went straight down like a smash but low speed lol
    of course it's my personal opinion, but just give it a rest come on....
    have another go at this later on during AllEngland when new rules are in effect

for now should just give it a rest like what bwf been doing...

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

the best is to let the 115cm do the talking.

This way tall everything is neutralised.

when i think about it there are many tall players on tour, they have higher serve but why didnt they win more tournaments? if the serve is so important they will be winning points left and right.

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    What's really funny is that even in casual games I play people start bitching and moaning if you're serving like that but nothing of that sorts happened in the match to my surprise lol.

j4ckie likes this.
  4. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

yeah gideon really should be faulted for all of his services lol. reminds me of fhf back then, except that he's more of not pointing in a downward direction. I remember in allengland 2016 steen pedersen said that fhf should be faulted everytime he serve.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He probably meant every flick serve, those were really on the edge and often over it. The low serves were fine. Racket pointing downwards, not racket head below the handle....all the slowmos I saw were fine (if close). He also served fairly low compared to the average Top 10 MD player, Ahsan and YYS were surely way ahead in that regard :D

6. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

I think he meant the low serves, he said that in the qf of all england 2016 against endo/hayakawa.

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

fu haifeng literally push his whole body to serve

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I missed the scene.
    I thought she didn't see it hence my post.
    Too lazy to check youtube.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Can you link the timestamp? I couldnt find it.

I have no idea what you're trying to say :D

10. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

something wrong with BWF youtube channel admin?
    Indonesia Masters' Play of the Day videos are also geoblocked. :eek:

11. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

around 40:16 steen talk about fu's serve.

j4ckie likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks man. I really disagree with Steen there, I think Fu was always on the edge but not always over it, but I guess he wants to see the racket pointing downward quite clearly instead of just barely. The serve that's faulted is definitely not a clear case one way or another, can't agree with Gill there either. The angle of the camera doesn't allow for clear judgement there, as it is above the racket, but I cant really blame the service judge on that one as it was close and the way he turns the racket upwards in the motion might make it seem even worse than it is.
    Anyway, not even close to as blatant as MGF/YYS/MA with their "arms parallel to the ground" serves :D
    I guess one way to make it less bad would be to change the service line, make the server and receiver stand further away from each other, that'd take a bit of the importance off the service height. The fixed height is still super ridiculous imop because it's a huge biomechanic disadvantage for really tall players like Ivanov, Kolding, Axelsen who almost have to bend over to serve as low, or crouch down if they want to keep the upper body straight. I'm really interested to see what the AE is going to look like, I'm guessing it's gonna be a shitshow where serves are concerned and the rule is not going to be carried over to the non-professional scene anytime soon (How would you judge the height? Markings on the net?).
    Still cant quite believe they'd rather change the rules than properly train their service judges.

skhai91 and melon94 like this.
  13. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Don't worry. They have been practising for months.

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

The rules are fair enough.

The short players can do what they want for good

the tall players probably will serve like how they always served anyway and will not get fault.

just let it flow baby..

15. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

'Host broadcaster' in this sense should be 'TV Station from X which broadcast X Open/Masters' (e.g. Indonesian TV station which broadcast INA Open/Masters).

I know a guy who works in Kompas TV and he said they got the rights "in a block from Daihatsu". He doesn't tell all the details though (I think he isn't allowed to). Kompas broadcasted the usual 5-match-a-day, instead of the new regulations. There might be some sort of agreement 'to break the rules'. And it looks like the main sponsor have the power to negotiate that thing (Source: http://www.infrontsports.com/media/2898359/bwf-major-events_original_107045.pdf).

And about this week's India Open will be broadcasted by Star Sports, who didn't broadcast the other tournaments like it used to be, I am assuming that they're in the same position as 'host broadcaster'.

P.S: Kompas TV isn't buying the BWF World Tour rights because of the new regulations are too demanding, however they're trying to negotiate to secure the rights for Thomas/Uber and WBC.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually, I'd have to serve 5cm lower, and I'm only 1,90m. It's gonna be worse for guys like Axelsen, Kolding, Ivanov, basically anyone taller than 1,80m will be impacted by this to some extent.

17. Master

Master Regular Member

@Griff88 host broadcast isn't Kompas TV. As @samkool mentioned a bit more here.

Kompas TV is just a local broadcaster and Kompas TV got everything to broadcast from a host broadcast. Host broadcast is the provider of pre-production, in-time production and also post production. This host broadcast cooperate with tournament organizer (host).

So, the new regulation of the addition hours isn't related to any TV broadcaster except the increasing price of the package. They're maybe giving 5 matches only per day and it's not breaking the rules.

The host broadcast is InFront in this case.

For another instance, the next 2018 Asian Games will use International Games Broadcast Services (IGBS) as host broadcast.

18. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Ah I understand now, pardon my mistake.

But this statement might be wrong since the Kompas guy revealed to me that they're asked to broadcast 8 matches (or following that new host broadcaster rules). They tried to negotiate the usual 5-match-a-day format but rejected by BWF (which should be InFront in this case).

19. Master

Master Regular Member

I'm asking the previous question here because I found some misinterpretation spread-out among local forum regarding the host broadcast obligation.

Request and obligation are different things. Is that guy himself who negotiate it?

When you have a right, it doesn't mean that you must broadcast it all. Regarding Kompas TV, the negotiations should be done with tournament organizer which is PBSI in this case, nothing by InFront.

The obligation to broadcast 8 matches for Super 500 tournament (SF & QF) hold by InFront as host broadcast, no TV broadcaster has this obligation. The TV broadcaster could even broadcast only 1 match if they consider enough as long as they have the rights.

The same thing published by PBSI : BWF Umumkan Regulasi Baru
    tuan rumah penyelenggara is the host broadcast.

Local TV broadcaster is another thing.

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    here again is where bwf shows how retarded they are. who in the hell wants to buy an 8 hour live broadcast for the quarters & semis? you can't chop it up and pick out which matches you air on your station because they have no hard start times. wtf is bwf thinking?

stanleyfm likes this.