Help: Increase Stamina (Personal Schedule)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Quentin11, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

To my forum friends: @visor @Cheung @Master @Cunning Linguist @kurako @Nine Tailed Fox @BeeKi and any other person who wants to help.

I've recently been watching many matches and improving my techniques and i'm getting better and better.

But I am hitting a wall! Stamina. I lack stamina. I play one good match and then slump into fatigue and lack of breath.

I will list below my weekly schedule and would be really grateful if you could help me with ideas on how to increase stamina.

Monday:
    Wake up at 4:30 to pray.
    Leave home at 7:30 to work.
    Reach home at 19:00 (already dark outside)
    Do bodyweight exercises for an hour

Tuesday:
    Wake up at 4:30 to pray
    Leave home at 7:30 to work
    Leave work at 17:00
    Start horse riding lesson at 18hr30 (jumping lesson is energy consuming)
    Reach home at 20hr30

Wednesday:
    Do bodyweight exercises for an hour

Thursday:
    Rest day

Friday:
    Rest day

Saturday:
    Leave home at 9:30 to go horse riding lesson
    1 hour horse riding in scalding sun (energy consuming)
    Reach home at 13:00
    Rest and go out with family or friends

Sunday:
    Wake up at 4:30 to pray
    Leave home at 9:00 for badminton
    Reach at 9:30 and play till 13:30 (I usually play non - stop whether it is single or double or training)
    Reach home at 15hr
    Rest and glide to Monday again.

I can't see where I can fit stamina training. I can't jump rope as I seem not to be able to master the technique. I can't go out to run as it is already dark and my area is not particularly safe.

Note: While horse riding uses all muscles in the body, the type of muscles used are different. It is more endurance muscles and not explosively ones like badminton. Muscles in horse riding really work to absord the movements of the horse and badminton it is to produce movements. So even if horse riding raises your heartbeat level crazily and I can withstand that for an hour or more ... I can't seem to have the same stamina for badminton not even 30min. Imho, the reason is because I am exerting the muscled differetly.

Is there anything you can add where I can increase my stamina drastically as this is where I am lacking.

Thanks very much guys.

buibui2 likes this.
  2. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

You could try high intensity training at home. Spend 20 minutes doing squat thrusts, press-up, burpees, crunches, lunges, mountain climbers etc. Do an exercise for 30 seconds then take 30 seconds rest, then do another exercise for 30 seconds followed by 30 seconds rest, rinse and repeat for 20 minutes.

If you have access to a court, build up to doing 6 corner footwork for 40 minutes. Do it in a controlled manner, nice and slow, this builds both stamina and efficient footwork. Alternatively if you can't get to a court, do the "Rasmussen" one step drill, again building up the time.

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. Master

Master Regular Member

You need to try jogging and rope skipping. Try to insert +/- 15 minutes upto 40 minutes in the morning for jogging & skipping.

When a given kind of training is introduced for the first time, it is important that the training is initially fairly easy for the player to perform. With experience, the training must ‘progress’. In fitness training, this means that the stimulus to improve fitness is slowly increased so that fitness improves gradually from one stage to the next. Progression is an essential element of a successful training programme.

Example – off court session to improve aerobic fitness (low initial fitness level).

One session per week

• Weeks 1-3 : 20 minute continuous jog at an easy pace. Aim: to complete run without stopping

• Weeks 4-6 : 30 minute continuous jog at easy pace. Aim: as above (but 30min)

• Weeks 7-9 : ~ 25 minute run at moderate pace. Aim: same route as week 4-6 but at a faster pace

• Weeks 10-12 : 35 minute continuous run at similar pace as in weeks 7-9.

This plan shows progression for both the duration and for the intensity of the exercise.

Badminton is one of the sports which require the most endurance. These exercises are aimed at helping to improve your fitness levels :

1. Jog

Try to jog at least 3 days a week for 30 minutes on end. Endurance is a key factor in badminton and the more stamina you have, the better you more you are to constantly retrieve shots without tiring out.

2. Skip

Skip for at least 10 minutes a day. This will train you to be more comfortable on your toes, helping to keep your feet light and nimble.

3. Shadow Playing

Practice shadow playing to allow yourself to visualize how to move till it becomes instinctual. If you can master this, you won't have to consciously worry about the footwork needed in real game situations.

4. Silent Footwork

You can measure your quality of footwork by observing how little noise your feet make when you move and land. The lesser the sound, the better you are at absorbing the pressure, weight of your body and keeping your balance.

Those are some methods you need to do to gain more stamina and endurace. You need to do it in a progression, slowly but surely improve.

#3 Master, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    buibui2, Vijji, HaroonIA and 3 others like this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

Something about Aerobic Training could be found in this document. You may need to specifically read on "Aerobic Training" topic from it.
    ---> Fitness Training in Badminton (Badminton Association of England. 2002) [PDF]

A preview of the content :

Aerobic training

The purpose of aerobic training is to develop the ability to transport oxygen and food energy around the body (i.e., cardiovascular fitness). Aerobic activity is quite simply any exercise that raises the heart rate significantly for fairly prolonged periods of time. Badminton itself is an aerobic activity and using games as aerobic training is totally acceptable. However, aerobic training should also be done away from the court. Any activity which uses large muscles (e.g., legs, arms) will help aerobic fitness provided that total exercise duration is above about 20 minutes. Suitable activities would include running, swimming, cycling and many fitness classes.

Aerobic (or endurance) fitness is essential for Badminton. Aerobic exercise involves the heart & lungs transporting oxygen and food energy to the working muscles. These help to promote recovery from exercise as well as restoring muscle energy supplies for the next bout of activity. A player with good aerobic fitness will be able to play very hard without getting as tired as a less-fit opponent. Once a player is tired then mistakes will become more frequent and, as a consequence, aerobic fitness is likely to be closely related to success in long games.

Good aerobic fitness is also likely to mean a player can do more training over prolonged periods of time. In this way aerobic fitness, like strength, underlies all training activities. A common concern about endurance training is that it will cause a player to become slow. This is because continuous endurance training is usually performed at fairly low intensity (i.e., a speed that can be continued for 30 minutes). A lot of continuous endurance training could certainly detract from speed and agility but appropriate endurance training (detailed later on the document) should involved a range of activities and training intensities and should not result in decreased movement speed.

Quentin11 likes this.
  5. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@baronspill

Your idea seems nice and could be done easily in my room. What i'm worried about it is that it might still solicit muscles right! I usually do upper body strengthening exercises on Monday and leg exercises on Wednesday.

These exercises will demand quite some effort from the muscles right?

@Master

Interesting explanation on how to build stamina. I like the idea of running one session per week. I think I can manage that. Three questions though:

1. Is it okay to run on slopes and downhill? Cause there are no flat surfaces where I live. It is up and down constantly.

2. Given that I successfully reach week 12. Can this acquired stamina be translated into badminton stamina (or any type of cardiovascular exercises are the same?)

3. What do I do after week 12? Keep the 35 minutes one session per week? or should I progress for the long interval up to short interval?

Thanks

P.S. In any case, i'm gonna analyse this document and see how I can incorporate as much as I can.

6. Master

Master Regular Member

1. No problem.

2. As a starting point, yes it will support for your badminton stamina.

When you start to do that fitness training (badminton stamina training) until you reach a certain level, you will have a better endurance which needed in badminton on-court training or playing. You could have more longer training time if needed. And yes, they are basically the same with any types of cardiovascular exercises. To improve the way your heart working in such an exercise load given and how your lungs takes the oxygen as effective possible. Good athlete should have lower heart rate when they're doing the activities/exercise since the body had already familiar with how should the heart and lungs working.

3. Keep that 30-35 minutes and after that, you could make it more frequent in a week. Make it twice a week, then three times a week.

A daily/routine exercise @ 30 minutes is always better than 1 day exercise @ 2 hours. It's better to maintain the level you've done and keep it in your daily task for long time.

Good luck for you!

buibui2 and Quentin11 like this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You only play badminton once a week ?

8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Unfortunately yes :(

But I play with guys who play 3-4 times per week.

When i'm fresh I can keep up with them but after that I have to find creative ways.

I started losing 21-8 or 21-6 ... now recently i'm losing around 21-18 or 22-20.

For techniques I would breakdown moves I see in matches and try to learn them (like I did for the dropshots of Momota). I think it is these + strategies allowing me keep up with them.

But I feel extremely out of breath after first game and I get slower and less powerful. Then I switch strategy and still manage to keep up.

However, on a 2nd match against a fresher opponent, if goes downhill. Even if I rest for 5mins between the matches.

#8 Quentin11, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Then no point in getting fit. You need to be doing three times a week on court and the fitness. Horse riding may use your core but it's only an hour. Your horse riding is probably better than your badminton.

#9 Cheung, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Quentin11 likes this.
  10. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think unfortunately with your busy life schedule you won't really be able to get fitter like Cheung mentioned. Muscle conditioning for a sport depends on playing the sport. Outside training can only get you so far. Without committing more time to it you won't really be able to get fitter.

Quentin11 likes this.
  11. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Cheung @llrr

I understand. Even if I fit in another badminton session it would not be enough because of the conditioning.

A bit heartbreaking tbh xD. I really want to improve my badminton (my mind is 100% focussed in badminton) but I've also been preparing my horse riding for quite a time to reach a competition level.

Guess you can never reach competition level in two contradicting sports at the same time :(:(:(

P.S. i'll still give it a try though. Try to increase the stamina ... it's not like i'm not fit but I could use a bit more stamina.

12. Master

Master Regular Member

My perspective is about making the heart to have better respond toward the activities you have.

Even for non badminton players, jogging in the morning @ 30 minutes will give you a better stamina than others. It simply as that. How can you expect to add on court playing more often in a week if it's not fit when playing in just one day a week?

The muscle conditioning is another issue after the aerobic process which involves the heart & lungs transporting oxygen and food energy to the working muscles.

The easier starting point is trying to walking 30 minutes daily and add the progression by your walking speed. Check how far you could go without stopping. Then you continue with jogging.

There is also another easy task you can do in your working time. If you're working at multi-level building with elevators/escalator facilities, you can skip that facilities and start to use stairs to switch between each levels (1 or 2 levels different).

And that thing is not about muscle conditioning BUT the cardiovascular fitness problem.

Regarding rope skipping, you could watch these videos :

#12 Master, Feb 12, 2018
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That is a contraindication :) You definitely are not 100 %.

How about training after prayers and before you go to work? Or perhaps straight after work? Where you live, are there commercial gyms that open in the morning and do fitness sessions ? Working in a small group with other people gives better motivation.

I agree with the exercises that @baronspill suggested. Also, skipping . But those are hard to maintain if done solo.

14. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Master
    I can already maintain running around the badminton courts for 30 min without stopping but at a low pace.

I will try to do that during the week now to improve the aerobic process. But I suspect it'll be harder to run at my place because of the inclines. I'll try to start running at a low pace for 20min.

I was not very worried about muscle conditioning because i'm already working on those and trying to do creative workouts for badminton specifically and coupled that with countless hours watching Momota/CTC where I focus only on their movements not even the opponent nor the shuttle. (Did the same thing with Lin Dan and ended up messing everything).
    I seriously think watching is helping me. I have started to watch Ginting now just so my mind understand the effort needed to move around the court.

I watched many rope skipping videos but i'm still jumping too high. Maybe I should give more time to it for some time to learn it.

@Cheung
    Sorry I think I wrongly formulated that. In fact, I meant, right now my mind is solely focus on badminton except at work, pray and when i'm actually in the saddle. The preparation for jumping competition is done long ago and i'm just maintaining it during the lessons.

Yes, I think I will start running after prayers and build up from there. I can't afford gym financially as I spend money in horse riding and badminton training.

@baronspill exercises are interesting but i'm wondering whether they would demand too much from my muscles which i'm already putting to huge tension on Monday and Wednesday.

For the creative exercises mentioned above, I'm doing balance, stability, strengthening and mobility exercises. All exercises, I have picked up understanding the mechanics of badminton movements. I also work explosively, but I want to increase mobility and strength even more before I venture into more explosively as I'm already carrying an elbow injury.

The said exercises and watching hours actually improved my technique and power on the court. Like I said I moved from losing badly to losing closely. They were surprised by my smash power.

Anyway this was to say that i'm afraid @baronspill workout might be too much for the muscles.

I certainly need to learn rope skipping. I have skinny calves anyway :(. If this is a sure way to help my stamina then I will do it even solo! I wanna win I want to enter badminton competitions.

@Master @Cheung

Does eating also have an effect on stamina? Because I don't eat a lot before going on Sunday. Only a few biscuits with tea. Because, I dont want to feel heavy when I jump.

#14 Quentin11, Feb 12, 2018
  15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You should eat a bit more because your body needs the fuel as you're burning through the calories. Once it runs out it will either use your fat stores or muscles (which is how one loses weight). You should eat a good amount so that you're not too full, and should make sure to keep up hydration and maybe bring a banana or two to eat during the session to replenish energy.

stanleyfm likes this.
  16. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

The only fat remaining is around the lower part of my abs ... which suggest i'll be burning muscles ? :O Ok I have to eat more then because I don't want to lose any muscles especially the calves. XD

Okay i'll start bringing bananas as well. Thanks a lot :)

17. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Your body doesn't actually "burn muscles" per se. It's just that if you have no fat, and no energy left from what you eat, then your body has to get energy from somewhere which would be the protein in your muscles. You should eat more than just some biscuits before badminton for sure.

Unless of course you have a big meal after the session, which isn't all that bad either, but I would still say eat something during it (especially high energy food like bananas).

18. Master

Master Regular Member

@Quentin11 Yeah, take a walking or slower speed jogging in that inclines area maybe a better choice or else how about cycling?

Diet is one factor to build stamina through eating a healthy and balanced diet. For long-lasting energy, doctors also recommend having up to a third of your diet be composed of starches and carbohydrates (whole wheat varieties are preferable). Nutrients like complex carbs, proteins, fibre and vitamin C is crucial for those who are into sports. These nutrients keep you active and feeling energetic.

Complex carbs: When you are talking about building stamina, you just cannot miss out on complex carbs. Carbs are the main source of fuel for your body and brain. Carbs are the food that the body uses to get glucose, which provides energy. Complex carbs are present in foods like bread, pasta and rice, which unlike simple carbs, keep you feeling energetic all day long.

I would suggest you to take a normal portion of breakfast. Don't eat too much before you play and stay hydrated.
    Keep your stamina up by drinking water a few hours before strenuous playing and during your playing as well.

You could brings some bananas and take it during each breaks before you start another session.

Some ideas about eating before playing also could be found here :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/eating-before-tournament.175277/

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not at all. I do these type of exercises three or four times a week.

Cut carbs. Cut out cakes, sweet processed foods, cut down on rice, cut down on pasta.

I try to eat very little bread, buns, cakes. Maintained muscle mass by eating meat, eggs, extra protein and the exercise
    . Drank water, cut out processed fruit juice.

Ate salads 4-5 days a week.

Do the HIITS training as previously suggested by @baronspill

20. visor

visor Regular Member

No carbs?! Then how would you replenish your glycogen stores?