Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I don't even understand people's reasoning to use this argument. It's like saying all the grand slams Federer won don't count unless he beat Nadal and Djokovic in the same tournament. That's absolutely senseless. If LD didn't have to beat LCW and CL in the same tournament, it simply means they weren't good enough to make it to the finals where LD had to play them consecutively. It isn't luck if Nadal loses in R1 of Wimbledon for example, but then Federer doesn't have to beat him in the final. Would Nadal provide a tougher opponent in the final than someone else? Maybe, but sport is about who's better on the day the match is played, not ifs and buts.

For LD, he could only beat the players in front of him during the time he played. You don't figure out who's the GOAT by considering that this person didn't have the toughest competition during his career. People simply consider someone or some team to be the GOAT if they achieve sustained success over a long period of time.

samkool, volcom and yamsyams like this.
  2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It's a different argument here. The reasoning is that the two strongest players outside of LD himself are always in the other half, i.e. he can only meet one of them, regardless of what they do. Not saying that I necessarily agree with the reasoning, but it was certainly a curious coincidence that he almost never was in the same half as either of them, :D
    Ah well, LCW had the chances to win his Majors (especially 2011/2012), he didn't convert them, end of story. At least for me.

samkool and llrr like this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

It must be noted that LD was service faulted 6 times during German Open, especially hazardously against Ng Ka Long. Momentum which he gained in the match was destroyed with these service faults and the same could annihilate his rhythm in All England if judges aren't lenient to him.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

But the whole aim of the new service rule is to eliminate leniency.
    *chuckles chuckles

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think the German open was where most players would've tried and see how much they can get away with the serves. I can't imagine the service rule being a major issue for singles players at AE.

6. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Of course then we'd need to go into the hairy business of deciding who's the third strongest player. Already difficult enough with the top 2! Let's not complicate things :D

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    exactly! if you can't make the final you don't deserve to win.

facts are so simple.
    fans are so ignorant.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Still, some victories are hard-fought, some are easier to obtain. The world is not that simple.

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Lol. You are not in this world at all. Simply writing anything!. Lindan was service faulted only 1 time on that match, that too in the early stages of game 1 when both of their scores were almost equal.
    Ng Ka Long played brilliantly to win the match.

Just now watched the match. At 10-12 for lindan in game 1, while he was serving, he was called fault. No more faults. Please come to real world.:p

10. Nine Tailed Fox

I never said 6 times in a single match so why should i come back to planet badass.

11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

He was trailing at that time. So, why should we need to worry for just one call in that match. Let's not forget, Ng Ka Long did play brilliantly to take that match.

But Lindan showed flashes of brilliance in that match.

12. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    Sorry to say this, but I feel that Lin Dan will never reach his peak again. I know that some of the hardcore LD fans here will disagree, but we have to see his circumstances. A lot of people say that LD is not playing seriously, letting his teammates win, etc as reasons for his loss, but I don't think that's true. We have to consider that he is ALREADY 34 (35 this year) and has won most of the major tournaments. I'm sure that with his successful badminton career, I don't think he has as much drive to win tournaments. He may win tournaments here and there, but only very few. Plus, there are many up & coming players younger than him that are more hungry than LD is. Note that LD has a family too. I myself am a LD fan (big one that is) but we have to be realistic with the conditions LD is currently in.

13. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Pretty certain no one disagrees with this...

swsh likes this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Except with both being in the other half he can't possibly play them both, and they have a harder semi than he does...I don't really care much about those circumstances, but the argument that he had an easier path can be made. The conclusion that he wouldn't have won the title otherwise can not.

KB@TB Em likes this.
  15. lippro

lippro Regular Member

Fact check. Big titles where LD beat both CL and LCW to win: 2013 wc, 2014 AG.
    Big titles where LCW beat LD/CL then lost to the other: 2012 OG, 2016 OG.
    I’d say the draws haven’t been that much kinder to either of them over the other. If anything this shows LD has proven to be able to beat the other two greats in the same major while LCW has not.

Justin L likes this.
  16. lippro

lippro Regular Member

That said, a case can definitely be made that CL had it easier than the other two.

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well. Its not for wanting or not but how many Superseries titles LinDan have won since the last 5 years or when he turns 30? You can count using fingers i guess. But since he won both Olympics (before 30), he can always capitalise on that marketingly.

He is the best player under 30 that i have seen. But over 30, Lee is the best i have seen.

MS is really competitive these days, i dont think anyone have edge over other in consistent basis. And it tough when you are over 30, let alone 35.

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i totally agree with you on that point. unfortunately, it's the wrong time in your career to be the best.

19. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    Under 25, it could also be taufik

20. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    still remember Lin Dan in AE2017 quarters,
    people on BC said Lin Dan will go down to Axelsen after the first set.
    People on BC.