Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Hey Everyone I am fairly new to badminton and just play at our local club. I have a lot to work on but I would like some suggestions on my stoke. I feel like it does not look right, It looks like my follow through is not proper. I am sure that there are many other things with my stroke that needs to be fixed as well. I made a video of some hits during two doubles matches and slowed it down(1/4 speed). If anyone has any suggestions as to what is wrong here and also what would be the best way for me to try fix it, I would really appreciate it. I am the person in the blue shorts and white shirt. I really want to continue to get better at this sport. Thank you in advance for any comments.

If the Video is too slow, I can make on at normal speed or whatever speed is best to critique.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    This angle is hard to give you any meaningful feedback.

1) Contact point is too low on some shots
    2) Looks like you're using a lot of wrist flexion from this angle
    3) A lot of shots look like they're without purpose/just hitting hard

That's about all I can give you from this footage.

3. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Pratice shadow hitting and try to hit it as high as possible. Try practing full swing rather than half swing it will eventually help you to improve your stroke. Most important, you need to train harder on your footwork seems like you didnt hit the bird when it was in front of you. Most of the time you bend over and hit the bird. Without proper footwork, all I tell you to do will be useless.

Good luck !!!

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you both for your feedback. I have been trying to work on my footwork daily, believe it or not my footwork used to be worse!!!. I just started really playing in August. I will also practice full swings as per your suggestions. Thanks again.

Obito likes this.
  5. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    *deleted

#5 kurty, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Easier if you make a new thread.

Mod

kurty likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. After hitting the shuttle you are not relaxing the arm. The elbow is still straight out fully extended.

If you slow motion more natural strokes, you will see people bend the elbow creating a more compact follow through.

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I have been practicing my stroke along with some basic footwork. Any feedback would be appreciated.

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Still keeping tense on the follow through, try to relax a bit after you hit.

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

OK I’ll work on that , thank you !!

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Esp first few strokes, after you perform the motion your racket is very far away from your body, and you stop the movement very suddenly.

Take a look, after they hit, they relax and allow the racket to come across the body and down towards their hip.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

OK thank you! I definitely have a problem with being too tense, throughout the whole stroke

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    If you can get on court and try just clearing. A clear should be fairly easy, meaning you aren’t tense or stiff, you aren’t throwing everything into it. Get a feel for it. If you tense like you do now after each shot, you will get elbow pain or shoulder pain.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

ok I will do that. I play at the club 2x per week but there is basically never any practice. I get maybe 5-10 minutes of practice and then its doubles games for the next 2 hours. So I have to do all my practice elsewhere without a shuttle. I do not mind doing that but I want to make sure that I am practicing properly to ingrain proper habits.

Thanks again for your feeback

15. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

Agreed with what others have mentioned here. Basically your point of contact is too low and the swing too tense.
    But don't fret, this is quite common with new players :). I guess, partially because you're so focused in ensuring you hit the birdie.
    Normally once you get better and are more certain of your shot making, this will improve naturally.

What I would suggest for now, is that, try to feel your swing. Think of your arm like a whip.
    It should be relaxed and only tense up just when you're about to contact the shuttle. This way you'll impart the maximum amount of force.
    So, relaxed backswing, frontswing -> tense up (focus) on impact -> relaxed follow through.
    This should help you get ready for your next shot as well.

Good luck and have fun!!

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the reply. Regarding your thought of tenseinf up on impact , I have heard that before. I have also tried to do that and I feel that my stroke is even less smooth and becomes choppy because of me tending on impact. Is that normal ?

17. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I watched the second video already. There are still some room to improve. Let me try to explain to you I think this explanation might make a little more sense to you. Your stoke is too tense because you still dont understand about bodyweight transfer. The way pros moving and hitting like in most of the video because its not just the stroke but included the bodyweight transfer into each shot. As a beginner coach will teach kids to throw birds instead of shadow hitting in order to get them used to the stroke first. Your stroke should be like throwing the bird as far as possible. First you turn your hip a bit -> start swinging --> throw your shoulder ---> your arm will follow the shoulder by nature ----> and then right at the moment you hit the bird you need to snap your wrist -----> then your follow through. I believe that the only shot that you "dont" perform a follow through is the black hand clear.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

PS. get yourself a buddy or a feeder to feed you the birds and keep clearing back to back that can improve your stoke and eventually speed of the bird. I been practicing clear shot almost half of a year before people at my first club let me played a game. At first, I hated what they did to me, but now I completely thank to them because I m a lot better than people who started without coaching and people keep compliment me on my clear shot and stroke, but I'm still a newbie tho there are a lot for me to learn.

#17 Obito, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    kurty, Cheung and r3v0lv3r like this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Wow good stuff here. When looking at my stroke which part of the “throwing “ motion that you mentioned above should I work on the most ?

19. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I would suggest you to break the shot down step by step slowly. Now your shot look like moving from point A to B. It is like I said earlier it is A to B to C to D and to E.
    - First the ready to hit position I can see that you have that already,
    - Second turning your hip toward and start throwing your shoulder from the back
    - Third your hip is kindda twist to the front and your shoulder are in front of you now
    - Fourth the moment your string bed about to hit your shuttler then you need to snap your wrist (
    watch this video I think this is a good way to practice hitting alone because unlike shadow hitting you actually feel the feedback of hitting the bird)
    - Fifth you let your arm follow through all the way now your racket should be on the side of your left leg if you are a right-handed and now your right foot should be in front.

Try to practice it slowly and make sure it smooth then speed it up.

20. r3v0lv3r

r3v0lv3r Regular Member

For beginers, I would say that is quite normal. As you're not 100% sure of your hitting motion.
    So, you end up, unconciusly, overthinking your stroke.
    It's also difficult for me at the beginning, but as you do this motion more and more, it will come more naturally to you, and you'll feel less awkward about it.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Tapatalk