Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    What does it have to do with the post? Lol

2. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Lin Dan was seen wearing Yonex shirt playing in All England yesterday . Why is he allowed to do so, since China Team is sponsor by Li Ning .

Anyone can advise on this . Thanks

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Ummhmmph

There was no yonex sign. It was his LD exclusive sign...and a black tape covering the yonex sign on his shoes.

4. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I thought Lin dan need to wear Li ning tournament shirt for tournament..

5. carltan101

student
    Lin Dan & CBA most likely reached an agreement about his sponsorship. Lin Dan’s a special player & I wouldn’t be surprised if CBA gave him special treatment.

6. carltan101

student
    Technically it’s yonex lol

7. HicHic

HicHic Regular Member

Who is GOAT if not LD? A player with zero OG, AG, and WC? Even Taufik got one OG, two AG and one WC.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Whatever special treatment, privileges and prerogatives given to Lin Dan, he rightly earns and deserves it, so much so that both Li Yongbo and even Li Ning were willing to bend over backwards to make concessions for him, an unprecedented move.

Imagine Li Ning allowing Lin Dan to have a private sponsor, Yonex, who is a strong competitor, their biggest rival in badminton products and equipment, when Lin Dan as part of CBA is already covered by Li-Ning as the main sponsor. If it were the other way round, I very much doubt Yonex would ever agree to make any exception, not yielding even an inch of concessions, no compromise at all.

Recall the recent CBSL saga involving the various sponsors, Yonex and Li-Ning included among others, which implicated Lin Dan and resulted in his team, Qingdao, being slapped a fine of RMB200K for sponsorship violation, in addition to a prolonged delay in the start of the match as well as last-minute cancellation of CCTV5 live broadcast of the event that day. If you're interested , you may read the details in the CBSL 2017-2018 thread where the matter was fully discussed.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Lin Dan just said in his first round interview at the All England that it's more important than WC to him. So there's that. :D

Baddyforall likes this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm curious, can you kindly cite the source ? According to this Chinese article, it was the author expressing Lin Dan's view, claiming that's what Lin Dan once said without quoting his exact words but paraphrasing him and perhaps adding his own opinion to it.

In that article, the author wrote: " What does the All England mean to Lin Dan ? He once said, ever since the world championship was changed to an annual affair, it's value is not much higher than any of the other once-a-year open tournaments, it even cannot compare with the 100-year-old history of the All England championship. At Birmingham, Lin Dan already stood six times at the top of the podium, moreover, in 2007 , he and Xie Xingfang respectively mounted the winner's podium, and he fresh bouquet in hand went over to kiss Xie Xingfang, that instance became a classic moment in the history of the All England."

My question is, when did Lin Dan ever said that ? How come nobody mentioned it before ? Not that it's insignificant, you know. Could he have been misquoted out of context or misinterpreted ?

Also , let's not forget, Yonex is now Lin Dan's most important and largest sponsor by far, a multi-million dollar contract for a 10-year period until 2024, and, incidentally, Yonex has been the main sponsor for the All England and the Japan Open, just to name two, for the longest time, so we can understand why Lin Dan might now want to stress the importance of the AE to him.

11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Yep. He said after his first match. Plz visit badmintontv channel. They posted a video with players' interviews.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, I understand all that. He's a professional and knows exactly what the world of badminton and the interviewer want to hear. If he were at another tournament he'd probably have said that he enjoyed playing there or something like that.

Here's the video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7BpX4NLdM0

Maybe you can tell me if they translated correctly? But his voice is probably too low to understand...

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I mean, it doesn't make sense for anyone to downplay or discredit the World Championships for it is simply de jure the world title whereas however illustrious the long tradition and history of the All England , it is only the de facto world championship once upon a time but no longer since the advent of the World Championship proper as well as the Superseries.

In fact, as we know, the AE was relegated to one of the five Premier SS or 12 SS annually from the year 2007, and beginning this year, in the new BWF tournament structure, it is classified as one of the three WTS1000 events ranked Grade One Level Two, just below the Grade One Level One top tier events, namely, the World Championships, The Olympic Games, and the World Tour Finals, all three of which earn higher ranking points than the rest, prize money notwithstanding.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid I can only hear the interpreter' voice , not Lin Dan's in Mandarin which is drowned out by the voice-over that said " The All England is more to me than the World Championship."

I don't know,even if true, that's not the same as saying, the AE is more important than the WC, only that it meant more to him for personal or special reasons. Could he be comparing this year's AE to last year's WC where he came in runner-up, and would like to make up for it by winning the AE here ?

Don't forget there is the Nanjing WC this August on home soil, surely there is every incentive for him to want to win it in front of his home crowd and legions of supporters and fans all over the world, many of whom will be there rooting for him.

15. lippro

lippro Regular Member

I think he was just playing lip service to the tournament. I wouldn't read too much into it.

skhai91 likes this.
  16. Nine Tailed Fox

@Rob3rt

It's the new tagline to promote World Super 1000 series recently launched.

Kidambi Srikanth of India, Sanjaya Kevin Sukamuljo of INA , Lin Dan of China and few other stars have been taught to the say this in an interview.

swsh likes this.
  17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Source?

18. Nine Tailed Fox

saw same from Twitter press conference of Srikanth sitting along Gabby.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Untitled1.png

Kevin probably said it's bigger than life.

Cheung likes this.
  20. HicHic

HicHic Regular Member

I thought the AE is annual, while WC occurs every year except for OG years? That would make it 3 out of every 4 years.