Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you everyone for your help!! I will work on turning my hips before my shoulders and also reaching higher with my elbow and right shoulder.

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

So i tried to practice the way that you are suggesting and i just cannot get it right. Any suggestions or "cues" that i can use so that i can work on this?

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Two videos that could help you. Some good guidance I believe.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How do you know you are not getting it right?

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I recorded my attempts and I can’t seem to get it right

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    But it seems you don’t have a clear vision of what right is, so how can you determine that?

It’s not to be rude, it’s a nudge to be less judgmental of yourself.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

You are absolutely correct I do not have a clear vision of what is right. More specifically my body is not naturally doing the right thing. When I am performing the steps and the swing I think that I’m doing it the way I should , then after I watch the video I’ll notice that it looks horrible and awkward.
    My goal is to teach my body how to move and swing decently enough so that I can practice that method all the time so that it becomes a habit.
    I appreciate your candid feedback.

8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

What we mean to say is that you do not know what is right or wrong, whether that is what you feel when doing it, or even when you watch a video of it.

All you know is that what you feel you are doing is different to what you expected when you viewed the footage.

You have had a few attempts at allowing a third party to review what you're doing to see what is right/wrong, but there are too many changes and too many subtle differences to convey with such a long turnaround of videos.

You are honestly much better off finding a coach even for 1 hour, and he can comment on your body shape/technique 50 times in that hour and have you adjust gradually, when we have spent weeks feeding back in twice.

I don't mean to say that it is a problem coming here, but that you need to allow time for things to change and stabilise. For example, even if you magically hit the right technique, it might feel and look completely wrong to you, but you won't even know. And if you then asked us if it was right, we'd tell you it is, but you'd have forgotten what it felt like, because you've practised 10 other ways it could be right.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I see where you are coming from. I live in Buffao New York and I’ve tried to find a coach that is nearby me and I can’t seem to find one. I would love to have a coach. I just want to get better and I know that requires a lot of practice. But I also do not want to practice 100s of strokes with horrible form. I appreciate everyone’s help a lot and since her feedback from this forum my stroke is better, I just want to continue to improve. I can make more videos more regularly or if it’s recommended I just practice with the form that I have I can do that too

Thanks again for your patience and for everyone else’s patience !!! I really appreciate it !!

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, let's see it then. You may have adjusted and got it right but you might not feel it.

11. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    This feeling never goes away, hahahaha. No matter how good I play whenever I watch the video after I just cringe and focus only on the things I did wrong. And how fat I look. And how I move like and old person. And....it goes on and on. ;)

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, when you use self video you have to focus on the important details. It’s easy for people to over do it and critique it based on what they think is aesthetically correct.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, it's not horrible. It doesn't look like a pro but most of us aren't pros and haven't put in the same number of hours of practice.

Can it be improved, yes. But that also takes time. You can't get a perfect stroke but you can still get close to it and make sure you enjoy playing.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Same here! : ) but that goes to show we want to progress and constantly try to improve ourselves (no matter if it’s about badminton or something else in life). If we were to be fully satisfied whenever we see a good thing here and there, we would not push ourselves to get any better.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Make sure you’re doing the basic bits right, the big things.

(From memory) your last stroke looks like it’s doing the basic bits. Starting side on, kicking through, getting good height, turning your wrist.

The reality is even if you perfect the form absolutely off court, in game when there’s movement, you’ll find it doesn’t quite work out that way. If you get the basic bits down, then sure it might be a bit messy, but it will improve. So yeah, don’t obsess too heavily, just make sure the important bits are there.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here is some practice from yesterday. I believe I know what’s funny about my footwork. I am jumping Off of my right leg with my torso too bent over , I think it should be more upright.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Ok I think I do see a big thing to change!

It looks like you're trying to hit by flexing the wrist a lot. You actually want to be turning your forearm, so if you hold your arm out palm up, and then rotate it down quickly so your palm is face down, that's what you need to do in your shot.

18. cn1766

cn1766 Regular Member

@Borkya would be kind enough to post a video it would help us all.
    Thanks in advance.

19. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Use of the left arm - try to stretch it (just short of locking it out) out in the position just before you spring forward. Almost like an archer pulling a bow. You want to reach up towards the shuttle so it'll balance you better when you reach up.

When you bring the racquet arm forward, don't think of retracting the left arm first, as your left hand currently seems to be sucked in, rather than remaining as a counterbalance.

Think of it more like your body is trying to move towards your left hand and your left hand isn't moving backwards at all, just downwards slightly as your body moves forwards.

Sports with throwing motions are all very similar. Here's a baseball pitcher in slow Mo - look at his left arm - it reaches forward, and allows better balance whilst the right hands and body accelerate forward .By the end of the pitch it's nice and close to his centre of gravity, job as a counterbalance complete.

20. Obito

Obito Regular Member

dang shoot!!! there is an improvement there, but there are still some room to make it perfect. I would suggest you to try to complete your swing standing next to a wall without hitting the wall. Also in order to make sure your body coordination is right. Try to throw thousands birdies without your racket with the correct form the bird would fly further than the incorrect one.