Landing non-racket foot after scissor jump (footwork)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GingerCorslette, Apr 10, 2018.

1. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I've had one or two moments where I felt that my scissor jump landing was off, especially when coming down higher than usual. Sometimes it would twinge, other times there would be soft but lingering pain.

Is there supposed to be a proper way, e.g., do the legs have to be in a certain angle and things like that? I haven't studied into this particular aspect that much...

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

non racket foot should be pointing out a bit since you will be leaning forward and you don't want to strain your achilles, or roll your ankle if you're off balance a bit.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    It's pretty common to land non-racket first.

Key is not to land with your ankle in a stressed position and not to be bearing all of your weight on it. While your non-racket foot often touches down first, it shouldn't be taking all the weight. Your weight should still be traveling forward.

4. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

From what I have learned you are supposed to land on your non-racket foot and use that to propel yourself forward :)
    The idea behind doing a scissor-kick is to move forwards fast after an attacking shot and therefore you should place a lot of weight and use your quads a lot to get towards the net.

EDIT: And as Charlie said, don't put too much strain on your ankle/achilles or you will end up like Ivan Sozonov :(

5. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    You are on your way to injury.... aka. Jumpers knee

I recommend stop now and get better footwork, more strength training for your legs....

6. GingerCorslette

From what I've watched it's somewhere along 45 degrees outwards so you're not enough pressuring both ankle and knee.

If you've been surprised by a punch clear and have to do a scissors kick backwards from a vertical start, this is when the proper footwork gets vital. It could go wrong any moment.

Okay I think 'twinge' was probably not the term I was looking for.. but thanks. Everything's fine. :)

7. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Haha okay, just being very cautious! I used to land on my non-racket foot and feel a small 'pop' / twinge. I thought nothing of it and after a few sessions of it.... I suddenly developed extremely painful jumper's knee. :(

8. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Why would you scissor-kick into a defensive clear? I would probably just do a China jump or the normal defensive clear footwork :)

9. GingerCorslette

No, I mean when it goes past your overhead. I was just watching this highlight video when I remembered about this particularly: check out LD footwork at about 2:10 to 2:20 into the video. There are two shots which he does this when he couldn't get behind the shuttle.

Surely I can find more (and better) examples of what I'm trying to point out.. but you get the point :)

10. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

I would probably China jump that :) But in those cases you shouldn't really put any force or stress onto your landing foot :)

11. GingerCorslette

Well it's a little difficult to not put any force or stress on the landing foot.. especially on those kind of shots. It's the first one to land, isn't it?

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It depends where your center of balance is when you land. If most of your body is straight over that foot, it's going to be taking the force of your landing. If your weight is traveling forward, and is not over that foot, you shouldn't end up bearing too much force on it.

13. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

^ This. Your COB should be so you can dampen most of your weight by bending your knee and using your quads/hamstrings, just like LD does in that clip.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I like to think of it as just gently catching myself on the floor so I can land securely. Getting that other foot down gives you stability for your weight to come down nicely, rather than landing clumsily or with a thud.

15. GingerCorslette

Isn't this somehow related to how LXR got injured at Rio? Looked like an off-balance overhead shot that resulted in a poor scissors jump landing.

I think when you find yourself doing certain shots it can become more or less difficult to maintain proper footwork (more if you get nervous). But then again, had a player with footwork like LD performed that shot, it would've been a different story.

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I can't comment on whether this video is correct, maybe others can, but all of his 1 minute 9 second video addressing the question of landing and coming off and not getting injured doing so. The video may be demonstrating like ginger suggested about the non-racket foot being 45 degree outwards being a good/right thing.

BADMINTON FOOTWORK #6 - IMPROVE YOUR SCISSOR JUMP

Cheung likes this.
  17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, this is correct. Your feet should do this pretty naturally. It seems forced to land with both feet facing the net.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pretty good video. Also look at #5

You can look at it from the front view.