YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You're not simply trying to get more likes are you?

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Impressive. It's on long term testing now. It has a bloody amazing sound. I have it on a 4U 88F right now.
    Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    have you tried 66N as well? last heard korean team was eager to adopt it.

that sounds well for me
    @swsh get your visa out

swsh likes this.
  4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Can't really help but practise with it since all small scale matches are played with it. I'll get a recording in for ya today if we don't die due to the storm here. One thing you will be surprised about is the fact that you'll be able to hear more detail from it since it sounds very neutral unlike feather which has a more bassy thud accompanied with it.

That's it... *Opens MBS website*

The racket would have been gone atleast a few weeks ago if I didn't absolutely love it.

5. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I've got no interest in the 66N honestly. I'd have to pull it as high as BG80 which I'm not too interested in trying. Especially since victor has a history of their string thickness indicated being the thickness after stringing. VBS-63 is fantastic but it's much more like a 0.65mm before stringing.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

swsh likes this.
  6. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    salivating already

7. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

Can anyone give 3U comparison between 88S & 88D and Voltric 80 and Voltric LDF?

Been using 3U VT LDF since January and really enjoyed and thought it was better than Vt80..

But after the string broke..been playing with 3U Vt80 and I never realised how much I missed the smashing game vs controlled game..

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Alright so with all the hype, and the fact that both singles and doubles players are getting onto these AX88s, I decided to swap one of my DZS 3U with an AX88S 3U. Here's a short review on the racquet with comparison to DZS 3U. ZF2 3U, and BS12 3U (although I have no technical details about the BS12 as I don't have it anymore and didn't measure it before).

Racquet setup: 66UM 31lbs, original grip replaced with AC402EX towel grip.

BP measurement: 297mm, compared to DZS (295mm), ZF2 (315mm). Couldn't measure weight/head weight as didn't have a scale on hand. Since the racquet overall is 5mm shorter, it is actually slightly more head heavy than a normal racquet with 297mm bp.

Interesting thing I noticed - the head shape is narrower than a compact head at the top, but is wider at the bottom. Since both DZS and ZF2 are compact heads, I didn't compare with a normal head.

About the stiffness - as most people have mentioned, the namd definitely allows the shaft to flex differently depending upon the shot. For drives the racquet is very stable, and feels stiff, but when hitting hard (clear, smash etc.) it is easy to access power. This is extremely noticeable when compared to DZS, but less so with ZF2. Consequently, the racquet is fantastic in all departments, but especially when hitting escape clears, as you can be late to the shuttle, but still swing hard enough with a short explosive swing. It is very difficult to do this with the DZS (and even harder with ZF2).

Whilst the 88S is slightly head heavier, it was in fact faster than the DZS, and I have to attribute this to the counterweight rotational system. I usually think racquet technology these days are just marketing gimmick, but the namd and this rotational generator system are two things that are actually noticeable. The recovery is very fast, almost as fast as the BS12, although in general it is not as fast as the BS12 because it's head heavier but I really had no issues. I was swinging way too early when defending smashes because the speed of the racquet surprised me.

With overhead shots, there is no issue with the 88S in terms of clearing, although the 5mm shorter length is a slight issue especially if you use different racquets for singles/doubles/mixed. It is much easier to adjust between DZS and ZF2 for example. Drops are very sharp, although I'm unsure if that's attributed to the racquet or fresh 66UM strings, so take this with a grain of salt. The downside is definitely that smashes lack power and quite honestly, unless you have a huge smash, it will not give you winners in singles like some other racquets. This makes me wonder about the 88D and really want to try it, although I don't have the money for it! The smashes are better than BS12, but honestly there's not a whole lot of power in it.

So overall, I actually have to admit that for ease of use, the 88S 3U is better than a DZS 3U, and is usable for singles and doubles. In doubles it is great at drives, defending, and counter attacking, but more care is needed with smashes. In singles if you use an 88S you should be prepared for long rallies and a largely control game, and placement smashes instead of full on stuff. I definitely can understand singles players' preference for the 88D. I would too.

Just a last note, I had a short hit with a 10DG and was a bit surprised by how good it is. The 88S feels like a premium, faster version of 10DG that is stiffer when driving, and a bit less head heavy.

A second last note - I feel that with astrox racquets, the racquet matrix becomes very much useless. It feels differently for different shots, so placing it anywhere doesn't quite make much sense.

Edit: Oh and, given that the racquet is so fast and easy to use, I would say to avoid the 4U versions. Get 3U 88D if you want power, get 3U 88S if you need it to be fast. If you can't handle either then get 3U BS12, or something else.

#1388 llrr, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    10DG is basically a thicker ZF2. ;) Almost the entire club (nearest one) now uses it exclusively instead of other rackets in the price range and are head over heels for it after trying mine.

Oh and after an extensively long training session with my 88s at 8-10lbs higher than what he usually has his rackets at, I believe @shreyas666 is now able to write a review of it as well.

10. Praj

Praj Regular Member

Edit: Oh and, given that the racquet is so fast and easy to use, I would say to avoid the 4U versions. Get 3U 88D if you want power, get 3U 88S if you need it to be fast. If you can't handle either then get 3U BS12, or something else.[/QUOTE]

Hard to avoid 4U in the UK, its the only weight available as far as i can tell. Just ordered a 4U 88s and your above statement to avoid 4U just killed all my excitement.

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Order from hongkong or japan. Takes no time to arrive tbh.

12. Praj

Praj Regular Member

i like to give business to my local community

13. Praj

Praj Regular Member

if the 4U 88s is similar to Jetspeed 10 but with a bit more power then i will be happy

Stever7425 likes this.
  14. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Don't worry too much. I was only saying it from the perspective of someone who's had training and is able to handle most 3U racquets. A 4U will be just as good, even faster, but unfortunately your smash and clears may suffer. Try a repulsive string to compensate.

15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I have to say that the 10DG is so easy to play with it felt nothing like a downgraded ZF2. I picked it up and was hammering everything so easily.

16. Praj

Praj Regular Member

yea not too worried, all my rackets are 4U. my 88s is coming with Aerosonic

17. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

My thought too. One aspect of set-up can be "tweaked" for some compensation/adjustment. Like if a racket is kind of too flexible, maybe a particular string +tension can somehow adjust that.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

18. braveswordfan

braveswordfan Regular Member

doctor

19. braveswordfan

braveswordfan Regular Member

doctor
    Sorry not good with tech stuffs. Very good review.

As some of my friends here implied, UK has only 4U version and impossible to get hold of 3U to try before buying. There is another thread by foo.tw comparing all 4 specs. Just interested in more discussion about 3U especially 88D as so far hardly anything is written on this racquet.

Does anyone know what the pros are using for example Momota. Is he using 4U or 3U 88D?

Yuki Fukushima in Japanese women's double also? What she uses will be more applicable to amateur men's double I will imagine.

Best wishes.
    Braveswordfan.

20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Momota is most likely using 3u. He was using a 3u ZF2 early on and switched to a 2u Z Strike after the full comeback so there's no real reason why he'd go 4u all of a sudden.

All just according to his choices previously.

#1400 swsh, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018