YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Here's a pic of the 2 racquets with the matching grips, this should help your thirst a little while you wait .[​IMG]

#1421 Konquerian, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    badmintony likes this.
  2. Konquerian

Decision, decision, decision !

3. Wanderfalke

Wanderfalke New Member

If it would come down to painting i would go with the d but s is already on its way

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Looking forward to your review Kon especially compared to ZF2 3U.

5. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

are you ambidextrous? do you play with the ax88d in your left hand and the ax88s in your right?

6. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

and may be Your one hand is longer/shorter by 5mm? :)

#1426 Martynas, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

i really confuse what to write really....hmmm anyway already sold both rackets now looking for 85-86grams ax 88d if i can find it that is... or maybe i'll just wait for ax88 successor hmmm..

anyway the 4u ax88s gave me more problems than the 3u ax88d.. coz of the gay shaft .... it's less of an issue on the 3u ax88d..... maybe my 4u was too light or something.. it felt wobbly and inconsistent.... i really struggle with consistency on that 4u for 7 sessions of play
    also 4u ax88s i felt the head was heavy its position on yonex matrix is justified...the 3u ax88d felt better in this regard....maybe bad sample that 4u no idea haaha no longer my problem

the frames are small and thin kinda similar to nanospeed 8000 that i have.... shots are accurate compared to contemporary rackets but still below ns8000 that racket in my opinion the most accurate racket in my arsenal

hmmm what else
    oh power on ax88s was quite lacking and i mean for something as head heavy as it is it's quite disappointing and i doubt 3u version would improve much (already tried 3u 88s buddy brings to court although diff string). on the other hand 3u 88d fare much better it only loses to 3u zf2 power once you get the timing right in my opinion. also more user friendly than zf2 but loses the bite feel a little

ball control on 88s was pretty much top shelf... surprisingly 88d wasn't that far behind.....though i have i to say i wish ax88 has normal shaft

hmm what else oh my wish for ax 88 successor... i wish for normal thinner slightly stiffer shaft, less weight on the head(somewhere between this and arc11), more power (maybe transfer some of that voltric power here/better material maybe), keep the 670 length, head weight location between s and d, 86gram, and most importantly 1000% better color .... current ones are horrendous, and g6 handle.... jeez so that i can use karakal d and kimony ridge without throwing away the original grip

if you can handle head-heaviness, 3u ax88s is gonna be a keeper

8. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Hmm. For some of us it is indeed:D

9. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

IMO, 3u 88S has very good power.
    But you have to adapt to the timing.
    Also 30lbs strings and good technique are reguired.

10. Konquerian

It was one of those rare occasions that I didn't have to work on a Friday, and so I decided to use my free day to test out my new 3u 88d .

@badmintony I guess your Mr. Potato didn't have to wait that long for a first impressive .

I spent 3 hours with the racquet, and I'm pretty impressed by it. Drop shots, drive shots, netplay, and smashes can all be done beautifully with the 88d. I must say, back when the time I first had the chance to try out my friend's 4u 88d I didn't really connect with it, hence why I went with the 88s. But now that I actually spend some time with the 3u 88d, I'm really liking it.

During my first game, I was having a bit of timing issues, issue with using too much power clearing the shuttle way pass the backline quite a few times, and my smashes not going where I wanted them to go. It kind of reminded me of the time when I first used my beloved n9ii. After my first two sets and into our final game of my first match, I was already getting the hang of it and the previous issues had diminished.

After getting my timing and power control back in alignment, it was a train of sweet badminton moments on the court , and I finally felt what it was like to dominate on the court with a dominate racquet . Smashes were definitely more powerful than the 88s, but angles were not as steep, which I think it might be due to the higher flex points of the 88d not holding the shuttle as well as the 88s (IMO ). However, I can really feel the 88d’s smashes being able to punch through opponent's defense like Yonex advertised. It took less effort to smash with the 88d than with the 88s, which was what I was expecting. The smashes from the 88d were powerful, but not comparable to the power rockets that the 3u zfii and tk9900 are capable of unleashing. But with the power trade off, I gain more control in my smashes for better placement. Drop shots were very deadly. I scored countless points using fast drops from the mid-court. Drives were just as good as the 88s for me. Netplay was quick and easy, and I was able to execute some steep angle net shots to counter opponent's net drops ; the control was surprisingly good and not too far from the 88s. The 3u 88d felt much like my n9ii. The 88d has fast swings and can defend with ease. I can feel the head heaviness, but it only feels a small margin heavier than the 88s.

With most people choosing the 88s over the 88d, the 88d consequently became a gem that is hidden in the shadow of 88s’s brilliance. Although I'm going to spend more time with the racquet to understand the personalities of the racquet more, the 88d is definitely an excellent racquet that can proudly take its place next to the 88s as the doubles duo. After spending time next week with it, I'll be sure to post more feedbacks.

#1430 Konquerian, May 12, 2018
    Yong, braveswordfan and badmintony like this.
  11. Konquerian

I wish, then I can do the mantis war dance on the court with the 88s in one hand and the 88d in the other .

12. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Haha I actually imagined a mantis dancing around on court holding the two racquets in each claw :p

I asked caused the grips were wrapped up in different directions - left handed style for the 88d and right handed for the 88s

13. Jovan Fortino

Jovan Fortino New Member

Hi kon! Im currently playing with the n9ii and imo i think it's too flexible. Im looking for a similar racket with a stiffer shaft. Do you think the 3u version of ax88d would solve my problem?
    Thank you

14. Konquerian

Actually, I always wanted the n9ii to be just a tad more stiffer, because I also felt that it was a bit flex than what I'm used to, but I've cope with it. The 88d is a bit stiffer, but I wouldn't say by a big margin. I feel that the n9ii outputs more power than the 88d, but the 88d gives better quality drop shots and drives. If you feel the n9ii is too flexible for you to produce decent power, in my opinion then, the 88d might not be a big upgrade in terms of stiffness. But then again, it is my personal take on that, so it could be different for you.

If you could borrow a 3u 88d, then there's no harm to give it a try, it is a very impressive racquet. That small difference in stiffness might or might not be the rain you need for your drought. It all depends if you just needed that little bit more of stiffness or something like a zf2 stiff.

#1434 Konquerian, May 12, 2018
  15. Jovan Fortino

Jovan Fortino New Member

I think a little upgrade in term of stiffness would do just fine for me. I've tried the zf2 before and i liked it, but it's too head heavy for fast double play, and the 4u version lacks the power imo. I'll take the risk and purchase the ax88d xD

16. badmintony

Astrox_88D.jpg :rolleyes:

pierreyj likes this.
  17. Konquerian

don't just take my word for it, you can get it and try it yourself

#1437 Konquerian, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  18. badmintony

I'll see if mr. Wallet and I would come to an agreement and we'll take it from there

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

19. Porky

Porky Regular Member

After trying for the first session with the new 88s 4U, i came away really impressed. I'm a Victor user for a very long time...not that i never tried Yonex, but i always have difficulty using various Yonex racquets for whatever reasons....but for this 88S, it almost immediately clicked with my style of play....I've finally found a good replacement for my MX60 which is my current fav together with other Meteor series racquets....this 88S is so fast and easy to maneuver and my defense immediately shows improvement with the deep returns and fast reactions....for the first few games, i really couldnt really generate power from backcourt smashes and the shuttles seems to slow down as it reaches opponent's court but i noted the angle of smashes were really steep....but after playing for few more games, i seem to find the sweetspot and way to generate power out of it.....while it's not the most powerful attacking racquet i've used, but i think it's good enough and its a nice balance between attack and defense....i'm not sure if a 3U would be a better racquet until i'm able to get hold of any to try out....but for now, 4U 88S is really good for me :)

Genkz likes this.
  20. braveswordfan

braveswordfan Regular Member

doctor
    Many thanks for your excellent review again.
    May I ask U several specific questions regarding 88D 3U.
    I can't use ZF2 3U because it is too demanding for double and 4U version lacks power. Will 3U 88D suitable as an option in U opinion.
    Which one would you prefer for double 3U or 4U 88D.
    How are both 88D's compare to 3U N9 ii which is my current racquet.
    Best wishes.
    Braveswordfan.