YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

The 3u 88d is definitely made for doubles. You can feel the speed that is necessary in doubles from its fast swing and maneuverability. After using both the 4u and 3u 88s, I didn't hesitate to get the 3u 88d over the 4u. I've been a long time 3u racquet user, and I just like the extra weight to aid my precision. It depends if you prefer 3u over 4u. Both weight versions of the 88d are highly capable doubles racquets if my two 88s are any indication. If you are a 4u user, you can't go wrong with choosing the 4u version, vice versa with 3u.

I've not tried the 4u 88d in a game, so I can't really compare it. But comparing the 3u 88d to the n9ii, I can feel a trade-off in power for more control, so currently I feel that it really comes down to play style and personal preference. Head heaviness, they both feel similar, with the 88d feeling just a bit head heavier. The 88d does feel a tad stiffer than the n9ii, but not by much in my opinion, and definitely not zf2 kind of stiff. However, I do prefer the 88d's stiffness over the n9ii's somewhat flexy nature , even if the difference between the two is very minimal. If my n9ii had a slightly stiffer shaft and a counter-weight system on top of the techs that it already has, there wouldn't be a place in my bag for the astrox racquets, but we can't have it all .

Basically, since both n9ii and 88d are excellent doubles racquets, and having both in my bag, I would use the n9ii if I need to call for better power, and I will choose the 88d if I want to dominate with more control in my shots, with a trade-off of slightly decease in power output. But of course, that's just me, everyone is different, so please take my words as one man's opinion, and hopefully my feedback was somewhat useful for you.

#1441 Konquerian, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    pierreyj and braveswordfan like this.
  2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I'm very sure there's still a.room in your bag for an 88D 4U. Please buy that oney too and kindly provide us a nice review so we have more AX choices to decide on

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

3. Konquerian

I will gladly take on that project if you and your Mr. Wallet don't mind sponsoring me to complete this financially demanding task .

4. dvanio

dvanio Regular Member

Between 88D 3U and N9II 3U, which one heavier between those 2?

5. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

I am glad that you compared the 88D with N9-2 . Seems I will stay with mine without worrying to get 88D .. thanks @Konquerian

6. braveswordfan

braveswordfan Regular Member

doctor
    Many thanks for your quick response, Kon. I am sure U will give us an update when U play with this racquet more which I eagerly await.

How much difference is this racquet compares to the usual head heavy racquet let say ZF2 3U?

If U manage to get hold of a 4U 88D to try, do give us your view.
    Best wishes.

Braveswordfan

7. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I bet that would be anytime soon
    I'm awaiting myself for a Kon's Ultimate Racket Review on the AX88D 4U☺

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    88D in 4U is pretty fantastic for what it is. Excellent mix of maneuverability and power. But I stink with Box frame head heavies in 3U.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

9. Konquerian

If we can comparing racquet weight of how they feel in the hand, I would say they are similar, with the 88d feeling like the heavier one because of the slightly heavier head feeling. But this is a very subjective matter, so everyone feels different when holding the racquets in their hands.

10. Konquerian

...the number you have reached is no longer in service, please hang up and dial again...

11. Konquerian

The zf2 is very different than the 88d. The zf2 is very head heavy compare with the 88d, and is very stiff. The 88d is much more maneuverable and easier to use in doubles. The power output of the zf2 is out of this world, and I love the power from zf2, hence it's the king of smashes. But at the front, you can easily get overrun by faster racquets, unless you're Chris Adcock . I'm very sure there are many people who can use the zf2 to perfection in doubles, but sadly I'm not one of them .

One of my friends likes to use the 3u zf2 in doubles, and his smashes are so deadly. But I always easily out maneuver him by forcing him to the front court with drops and net shots, I can then take him out with mid-court smash or return his poor quality net shot return with a better quality steep angle cross net shot . Anyway, it just comes down to personal preference and playstyle. We just need to use whichever racquet that we feel good using, and then go out there and enjoy the game .

#1451 Konquerian, May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Kamon and braveswordfan like this.
  12. Micael

Micael Regular Member

hey Kon little question for you, after some more time with the 88S 3U do you prefer it to your 4U or you still like the 4U a tad better?

Mmody likes this.
  13. Konquerian

After spending a few more hours with the 3u 88s, I do prefer the 3u better now. That extra weight just aid my precision with my shots better. I think it's because I've always been using 3u racquets and I'm more use to the extra weight. Although the 4u does do drives a tad better, I execute all other shots better with the 3u, especially drop shots and smashes.

Currently, I'm giving more time to my 3u 88d to get to know it better. And after spending 3 hours with it that Friday, I don't see myself going for the 4u either . I guess I'm just a 3u kind of guy .

14. Chrisadology

Chrisadology Regular Member

There are racquets for the 3u lovers and then there are also racquets for the 4u loyalists. It's all good..

Oh...also depends on the crowd one is playing with :D

15. Leonline

Leonline New Member

Yesterday I got to try out a 88d in 4u. I played a mix and a men's doubles and only used it shortly (will try again in two days). I've read that this racket would be in the same place as the Voltric 80 et, however, that certainly didn't feel like it to me. I found the 88d very slow compared to VT80 4u and also when compared to my Victor Onigiri 4u. The BP on the latter is probably different so no need to compare them to each other though.
    I couldn't get much power out of the stiff frame, which again to me feels stiffer than VT80.
    So it seems that I certainly do not have the strength to play this thing properly, but I did not expect the enormous gap between VT 80 and this. My personal experience might not be all that helpful for you guys, but I'm curious if anyone has compared 88d to the VT80 as well?

16. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Placed an order for a 88d, 3u version. Not distributed in my area (yonex Benelux region) but its available in France and a Dutch webshop is going to import it for me.

17. Praj

Praj Regular Member

thoughts on 4u 88s after 6 hours playing time - coming from Astrox 77 and Onigiri all 4U:

found the 88s to be an incredible racket from Net to Mid court. The way if moves through the air and the precision of strikes are the best I have had the pleasure of playing with. It is so easy to play delicate shots around the Net and mid court drives are blisteringly quick. Serving is also great, masking the type of serve is made easier as the power is there to flick serve while looking like a short serve is coming.

rear court play was good, i did notice the lack in power for all out jump smashes, which seemed to be the same as my standing smash. For some this might seem like a negative, and for those big power smasher lovers it will definitely be a negative. However, the power is still decent enough for me and my smashes were more accurate and forced a weak return. Drop shots i struggled with for a while, and i still have got the timing right yet. The racket is so quick through the air that i found myself getting to the shuttle too early and had to pull out of the shot. I did connect perfectly a few times and the shuttle went exactly where i wanted it to go in my mind. This excites me more than anything else, as i know the timing will come soon enough and then the majority of my drops will be deadly.

Returning a smash is effortless work. The racket just gets there everytime.

Really pleased with this racket, dont think the Astrox 77 or Onigiri will ever get to play again. IMO this racket feels like the bigger badder brother of the Jetspeed 10, which may be a good thing for any Jetspeed 10 users looking for something a bit extra.

solid77, Kokai and Leonline like this.
  18. Leonline

Leonline New Member

Praj, how would you compare the flex of the 88s to the Onigiri? And how is the precision of the 88s when compared to JS10?

19. Haters_Gonna_H8

Haters_Gonna_H8 Regular Member

u're comparing ax88d to vt80 or vt80et?
    there is no way ax88d is slower than vt80

20. jickman

jickman Regular Member

student
    I’m more a double oriented player. Relatively tall big dude was wondering if I should go 3u or 4u. I’ve been using duora 10 more.

Out of curiosity, are international player also using 4u? Gideon? Mogensen?