TOTAL BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals 2018 : Group-Stage Matches (20-23 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

UC QF Predictions:
    DEN v CHN
    Strategic lineup from DEN I think pushing WS2 before WD1. Will be interesting but difficult for DEN to upset.

KOR v CAN
    CAN definitely very lucky to even make it through to the QFs (because of IND's weak lineup) but that will be it.

INA v THA
    Yeah.. this will probably be tight but I just don't see INA taking this with Intanon and Jindapol most likely taking WS1 and WS2. INA will probably only win WD1. WD2 will be crucial but I think Puttita/Sapsiree can handle Della/Rizki. If it goes down to WS3, I still think THA will take it.

JPN v TPE
    I think this is also a bit interesting. AY will probably lose to TTY given her current form. TPE can upset if PYP can beat NO but I don't see that happening. Will probably be decided 3-1 to JPN.

TC QF Predictions:
    CHN v TPE
    This will be interesting because TPE has potential to upset (maybe LC/ZN losing to LJH/LY) but CHN too strong overall.

KOR v DEN
    DEN has a stronger team overall. KOR can probably upset 1 match but that's it.

FRA v JPN
    Again FRA also benefitting from IND's weak lineup like CAN. QF is the reward and that's as far as they'll go.

INA v MAS
    MAS will likely win all 3 singles especially with Christie not up to form (INA might not even field him). It will be a bonus for MAS to win any of the 2 MDs. MAS should field LCW, LZJ and LJH. (but I think IZ is good enough too though so no big deal)

#961 Michael V, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, spoken like a true amateur -- sorry you didn't get the memo, but this is a 2-stage tournament with the Group Stage being played round-robin, NOT as a knock-out round... to prevent teams from the Group Stages from meeting again, would defeat the point of having a Group Stage to determine the knock-out rounds' seeding.

This is because you're NOT dealing with qualification matches or a bunch of pre-qualifiers, but players/teams who have already QUALIFIED for this tournament -- that's why everyone gets to play in Group Stage for seeding (& sponsorship, exposure, warm-up, etc.) in knock-out rounds, instead of simply relying on the World Rankings accumulated the past 1 year like in the world/regional championships.

Even the Super Series Finals (& Olympics) is played like that -- with the minions throwing a match to Kamura/Sonada in the Group Stage before beating them in the knock-out round (to become Super Series Finals Champions 2017). Don't confuse these tournaments with annual world/regional championships which cannot afford to have a group stage (& probably should not, since such tournaments are held annually to give more players more chances to be crowned as official "champions")

3. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

& what is the inherent logic behind your "should"? I mean, the GER Thomas Cup team didn't play on a TV Court for the entire Group Stage!

Are you confusing a commercial/civilian competition for some national/political social-justice campaign (which you are funding)?

The day badminton becomes as commercially viable as table-tennis, will be the day you get live-streaming on EIGHT courts simultaneous from Day 1 -- so blame the INA BWF delegates for voting against the 5 game of 11 points system if you must!

Anytime you want BWF to do something to make badminton more commercially accessible/ viable -- remember the people holding BWF back because they don't realize/accept that the commercial development/future of badminton depends on shorter/faster games and in this day and age (because you can't really push for "marathon/stamina" badminton like tennis/soccer).

#963 Forestal, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

why INA though? there are many countries that dont like the proposal. Just because there is more media in INA

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I feel Thailand have a very good chance to go to UberCup Final.

In fact, i thought INA is their hardest opponent, they have more to lose. If they get to SF, they can easily beat China.

China WS is puffing and huffing, inconsistent and jaded looking.

Akin44, stanleyfm and Michael V like this.
  6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

what a chemical waste for MAS as lost to DEN in 2-3, now they had pay the price by meeting the great INA team in QF tonight, I predict INA gonna take it real easy 3-1 (1st MS lose to LCW if he field)...

stanleyfm likes this.
  7. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

I think so too! It would be the perfect upset! Although they won't beat Japan but a silver medal and beating the defending champions is a great accomplishment!

stanleyfm likes this.
  8. scanaryFolks

scanaryFolks New Member

INA should be able to take point from Kevin/gideon, jonathan christie and fajar/rian, ihsan or firman have chance 50:50 against iskandar

9. Master

Master Regular Member

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The TC/UC has been that way for years/decades (group->elimination). It is not something new.

11. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Yeah but there might cause some bad remark by their own countrymen if all players are Chinese.

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

what about in year 2014 when all Malaysia team are consisted all Chinese, yet can get runner-up...

1998 and 2002, Malaysia team got mixed, but only get runner-up as well...

in the end, it's not about the race, is about the quality and how strong they really are to play this important tournament, as the country represents...

stanleyfm, Cheung and hyun007 like this.
  13. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

I like what you said but some people might not think this way since the Chinese are the minority in Malaysia. You know, there will alway be some monkeys that spread hate on the media.

14. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Who da hell cares if all players is Chinese. All of them are Malaysians.
    Those saying that must be ignorant or too easily triggered.
    [Disclaimer: This message is definitely not targeted at you :)]

hyun007 likes this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    selections based on merit. Don't bring back old style thinking. Do what is best for the country Are you up to the challenge or do you want to stay in the past ?

hyun007 likes this.
  16. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Boe is 185 cm.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

At this rate LD is gonna be pissed ;)
    His service might no longer be needed.

18. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Viktor is so rusty and struggling. In this current form, I don't think he can with the WC. Playing poorly against LCW and barely beating Son Wan Ho. Viktor needs to get back into top form.

19. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Viktor has become slower since his surgery -- get him to turn like LCW and Son Wan Ho did, and you'll have a chance to beat him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.