Bouncy footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Matted, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matted

Matted Regular Member

hey all, one time while playing, a friend of mine commented how my footwork is very bouncy and that i should stay on the ground more. In my opinion, i feel like i react faster and move faster when im “bouncy”, rather than being stable on the floor, what do you guys think?

2. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Hard to know what “bouncy footwork” is without seeing a video, but more active footwork and energy keeps you focused and able to react faster to shots compared. I would prefer to be more on the active side than lazy side of movement.

But if your friend means that you’re constantly jumping in the air for shots, yes that is not a good thing. Jumping too much means that’s time you’re not able to change direction by being on the ground.

3. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Haha ill try to video myself next time ill go on court. To be more specific, its more like im playing jump rope, not like high vertical jumps, so it is like im on a jump rope while moving around court. Hope that clarifies!

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That should be fine!

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It all depends on when you are doing it. Powerful movement from the middle using bouncy steps is good. Moving long distances whilst lifting the feet too high may be slower. Jumping excessively may make it difficult to change direction in some scenarios e.g. as the net player its better to move sideways using long steps rather than jumping. But as the others said, lets have a video :)

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. lurker

lurker Regular Member

is this bouncy??

7. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Somehow like that but i am not doing it while stationary, im doing it while im going after the shuttle :)

8. Matted

Matted Regular Member

Ill send a vid as soon as possible :)

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's a doubles drill. When your partner moves in doubles you must move as well. The areas of covering and possible shots is dynamical.

Maybe ask your friend what he means in detail?

10. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Depends. Singles or Doubles? In Doubles these "bouncy" Footworks are often a sign for adjusting positions. Which is really good and hard to teach students. In Doubles many small steps are a good sign.

In Singles everything is build upon the timing of your split step / starting where making a lot of small steps is a waste of momentum.

But we don't know what your partner is meaning in detail. So first let's hear what he has to say.

ucantseeme likes this.