Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This .

2. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I also feel their selection is favouring the elder players. There are many younger players that are potentially very good. But they are not encouraged, in my opinion, as they will cause problems in selection. Zhang Nan is a naturally gifted doubles player. Unfortunately his pairing with LC isn't effective enough. Zheng Siwei and Wang Yilwu are a very good doubles pair but are not given a chance. Similarly the recent WJC and the pair that was in the last tournament before this are v good. I hope they will get a lot of tournament exposure so that they can provide good alternatives. If no changes are made in this issue, for example replacing the coaches and selection procedure this situation will continue I am afraid.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, there's quite a bit of talk and some clamouring for Wang Shixian's return for the Uber Cup. I agree she's good for another year or two to help transition the younger generation to succeed the seniors in good time.

And I absolutely agree with you ,Zhierl, that CBA must send their junior players for greater international exposure in the pro circuit at an earlier age as they are losing their headstart to the foreign peers. This matter brooks no further delay.

I see several big potential players in the Chinese 16 to 19/20 age group in all disciplines, most of us CHN fans know who they are and we've our picks and favourites.

The crisis in Chinese badminton has dragged on for far too long, CBA have to take the bull by the horns and go for bolder and untested measures, even radical ideas if necessary. Chinese badminton calls for a revolution !

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CLELY, yuquall and kwun like this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

What the hell was he thinking?? :eek::D:D
    Losing to the minions 5 or was it 6 in a row really can change someone's character that much?

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

That was embarrassing.

The celebrating every point like he's won was way too over the top.

Had a bit too much caffeine before the match it seems.

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Congratulations to China for winning the Thomas Cup for 10th times.

Since China joined IBF in 1982 :

China 10 - 9 ROW

CHN 10

INA 6
    MAS 1
    JPN 1
    DEN 1

Cheung and Justin L like this.
  8. antssantss

Retired
    Congratulations to China for winning the Thomas Cup. The younger players made a big contribution. Shi Yuqi was AJC 2014 and Liu Yuchen and Li Junhui were the AJC in MD in 2013. China must now prepare for the future and send their juniors for overseas exposure. Dont sit back and enjoy the triumph. Build on this success for the future. If there are two or three junior teams preparing to take over from the seniors, China will never have to miss out on two Thomas cups .
    There should be an U15 , U17 and 2nd national team. The coaches should be given responsibility for their juniors performances and made independent from the national team. There should be an annual competition amongst themselves for promotion upwards to the national team. CBA must stop the practice of exposing the juniors at a late age. Talented juniors should be given special attention and sent to overseas tournaments early to expose them to different playing conditions and time zones. Only in this way can the future be secure.

9. antssantss

Retired
    Congratulations to SY for his performance at the Thomas Cup. His match against JC of Indonesia and KN of Japan were crucial. SY has improved a lot. All those CL type of game he played was to improve his emotions and mental strength. His training all those years after his junior championship has paid off. In his game against JC he was behind in the third game but he never panicked and played his shots calmly. Now he has a strong smash and even deception.He also places his lifts very deep and gets him out of trouble frequently. KN beat him at the Asian Badminton Championships. SY lost in the third set although he was leading and I thought he would remember that encounter and have a problem with KN. But he displayed great confidence in the first set. That match showed how mature his game has become. The other matches where he showed his capabilities are against Zulkarnian in India , Son Wan Ho and in the All England and Sai Praneeth in the Thomas cup. He beat all of them after losing the previous encounters. He is certainly one of the players to watch in the World Championships.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-05-29/doc-ihcffhsu8390372.shtml
    Sun Jun: Setting foot on the Thomas Cup 18 years later, a new identity to finally realised the championship dream

[​IMG]
    (The author) Paid a look-in on the warm-up area prior to the Thomas Cup Final, saw Chen Long sitting cross-legged on the floor about to enter the arena and interacting with Sun Jun, the two of them looking quite relaxed.

Talking about Sun Jun, he's currently the Head Coach of Jiangsu badminton team, and was invited to Wuhan after the Asia Badminton Championships to help trained the Men's Singles in preparation for the Thomas Cup. As early as 2014, just before the World Championships held in Denmark, during the time when the national team was undergoing systematic training in Shenyang, he was specially invited to assist in coaching Chen Long, the outcome was good, Chen Long on that occasion captured the Copenhagen World Championship, and Sun Jun was among those credited for his success.

The invitation to Sun Jun this time is still mainly to provide assistance to the Men's Singles, particularly to train Shi Yuqi and Chen Long. Regarding these two players, Sun Jun is rather familiar with them,especially Shi Yuqi whom can be said to be nurtured by him when he was part of Jiangsu team.

When Sun Jun arrived at the training center, his greatest assistance rendered to the players was how to reduce pressure. Just now before the match, Sun Jun told Chen Long right away, don't think of it as playing a team competition, just treat it as an individual match final,and simply play according to all that you have learnt will do.

Upon arriving at Bangkok, Sun Jun had a discussion with MS coach Chen Yu and made some pre-tournament preparation and adjustment with Chen Long. Sun Jun said:" Previously, we alway watched video recordings of matches with the players concerned, and then discussed the tactics together, as a result it unconsciously let Chen Long constantly felt the pressure of a team competition. Before, Chen Long would always be unable to perform at the team majors, which, he added, had much to do with his heavy self-induced pressure.

This time, Sun Jun only told him, you go and prepare yourself, whether to watch tactical video recordings, whose matches to watch, all up to you to decide. It's all right even if you don't wish to watch any, don't tell me you won't know how to play the match if you didn't watch them ?

Sun Jun laughingly claimed, in team championships, our players sometimes were not beaten 'to death'(said in jest) by the opponents, but, rather, were scared to death (by the big occasion). Actually, in competitions, it depends on how far the players can perform according to how they've been doing at training. Often, players lost owing to pressure, only able to perform up to 30, 40 per cent level.

In order to let the MS players build a relaxed atmosphere,Sun Jun and Chen Yu would practically every day invite the players to have meals together,at the same time many things were conducted in a relaxed ambience by telling them in a chit-chat manner.

At the Bangkok Thomas Cup, Sun Jun was deeply moved emotionally, expressing it has been 18 years since his Thomas Cup participation. Eighteen years ago at the 2000 Thomas Cup was Sun Jun's final appearance as a player, in that edition, though China entered the final, yet they failed to lift the trophy. Sun Jun lamented: "As a player, I wasn't fated to win the Thomas Cup, ended up as either silver or bronze finalist. This time round, my identity is that of a coach, no matter what I should realize my Thomas Cup dream once".

At the conclusion of the Thomas Cup journey, Sun Jun didn't return to Beijing with the CHN Team, instead he flew direct from Bangkok to Nanjing, saying Jiangsu team has a lot of work waiting for him. Throughout the time when he was preparing and campaigning with the national team at the Thomas Cup, Sun Jun said with a smile, it's been a long time since he had taken matters so serious , now that it's over, he himself would like to have a good rest. According to him his son, Sun Wenjing, has started playing badminton again, and also entered the Jiangsu Sports College. In future, he hope his son could take over from him.

CLELY and pcll99 like this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He did a very remarkable job. Though CL still couldn't master himself fully but it was a sign of a good start for Chinese team evolving to the better. I appreciate it that they try different approaches to different players.
    SYQ especially had showed a great deal of improvement in term of mental stability.

CHN fully deserved the Cup more than any team else this year, in my opinion. The most fitting ending for CHN 2018 Thomas team. I am happy for them. Though next time I might cheer for some other team, but this year's Cup is China to take.

12. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Hats off to Shi Yuqi's shot selections. Indeed, one of the more creative players of his generation.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I am starting to think maybe Zhang Ning is not up to the job as a coach. Perhaps she should be replaced.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I too think Zhang Ning has not been good enough as a coach. She should be fired with immediate effect.

Xie Xingfang should replace her.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-05-28/doc-ihcaquev2371091.shtml

[​IMG]
    Xinhua News Agency, May 27th news report, " On 27th May, Team China 3:1 overturned Team Japan to hoist the Thomas Cup again after six years wait." Former CHN national team member, Cai Yun, commented at the 'China Sports' live broadcast that he was exceedingly excited, and picked Shi Yuqi and Li Junhui as the whole tournament's most outstanding performers.

Twenty-two years old Shi Yuqi handed over a six-win, undefeated, exceptional result, of which Cai Yun was full of admiration. When Shi Yuqi won the first set (in the final against Kenta Nishimoto), he even expressed:" Want to give Shi Yuqi a 'like' (on social media), his on-court performance was quite positive, you could see the determination in his match preparation. He is now world ranked number three, fame follows merit, well-deserved".

During his commentary, Cai Yun even spoke bluntly:" The young women's singles team members should take a look at Shi Yuqi who's also playing the Thomas-Uber Cup for the first time, he was also confronting those opponents who beat him before."

Just before the kick-off of this TUC, Cai Yun had once given the various players in the team some specific qualify assessments based on certain criteria, among which Shi Yuqi's 'mentality rating' was left blank as he said he wanted to see SYQ's performance at the Thomas Cup first before giving his rating. While commentating at the TC final, Cai Yun gave SYQ 4.5 points in mentality rating, second only to Lin Dan's full 5 points rating. Cai Yun explained:" There's still 0.5 points for which I hope he can win the MS titles at the Olympics and the World Championships, that will be perfect."

Apart from Shi Yuqi, the performance of CHN MD pair of Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen was equally brilliant. Cai Yun had elected Shi Yuqi and Li Junhui as the two most outstanding players across-the board, saying:" They have by means of exceptional performance given the Thomas Cup journey a consummate ending."

The Thomas-Uber Cup competition was intense and exciting, yet Cai Yun didn't forget his 'malicious tongue' roleplay character. Talking about the failure of the CHN Women's team , he didn't mince his words and blurted:" Just look at these 20-year-olds playing, no different from those 30 over years old. You're 20, it should be me who couldn't beat you, I can't wait to give you a bite !"

#1515 Justin L, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    pcll99 likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Xie Xingfang, very unlikely.

First, she has an infant to look after and her own commercial activities, eg,the coffeeshop and the baby products businesses. Second,I think Lin Dan wouldn't be happy to come home from tournaments and not see XXF around because he himself may not play that many events while she would probably have to travel frequently with the women's team month after month, just like what Zhang Ning is doing.

17. antssantss

Retired
    Agree that China WS coaching is out of tune with modern day WS. Japan and Thailand are the prime movers in this change and both have men coaches.If you compare China WS with these two countries it is noticeable that the China ladies are too "soft". They do not have speed, anticipation and power in their game. They rely on stroke play. There isn't any deception in their game. Its one speed play,i.e. one gear. There is no change of speed and good net play. I think if China wants to keep a ladies coach then Wang Xin is the sort of player they need. Cai Yanyan is a good example of the kind of WS China should have. She has a great smash which she utilises very well and she has speed. What the China WS players need are strength in their legs.
    So yes I agree the ZN 's style is out of date and not effective. Sorry.

pcll99 likes this.
  18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think Wang Xin was a major inspiration for Marin. And obviously Lin Dan was a major influence on both.

I was thinking about replacing Zhang Ning with someone with more than 20+ years of coaching, like Sun Jun or Zhao JH. (I don't understand why Sun Jun is coaching men's singles, not women's singles.)

XXZ had Tang Xin Hu at his side for many years to learn how to become a good coach for men's singles. Zhang Ning had Tang Xue Hua at her side for much lesser time.

Yes, I agree in the long run Wang Xin would be a better choice than Wang Lin.

But IMHO, the first step is to find someone very senior (with gravitas) to replace Zhang Ning--someone in his 50s.

That is quite urgent as the Olympic cycle will begin in less than 12 months.

#1518 pcll99, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Of course SYQ and Li/Liu had been brilliant and had managed to ensure CHN winning points.

Not to sound bitter or anything, so Zhang Nan's consistent performances throughout the tournament while carrying tensed Liu Cheng with him including getting the first point for CHN in the final winning under the "pressure" to ensure SYQ's brilliant performance wasn't something to give credit for too? Isn't he a bit too much being taken for granted by CHN team? Any other country would love to have him in their team for sure. Even Gill was very impressed by ZN's role in the team.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

But he failed to deliver against Kevin SS and Gideon MF and if not for Shi Yuqi, China would have been knocked out of SF.