YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    You could say I've hit a wall with 88s. I really need something else to spice things up again. I still stand by my words but I don't think I can go on with it for much longer.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Time for 88D

3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

The 88d is definitely worth a try. I got dibs that it'll last a week .

Junye likes this.
  4. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

nah ax66, surely that'll spice things up [​IMG]

5. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    it will not even last a week. no racket can fulfil @swsh as much as tk9900 and 8xp

6. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Guys :

Can any of you give a fair opinion on Astrox 88S Vs Jetspeed 10.

Is Jetspeed 10 consider faster racket speed than astrox 88S?

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

41 minutes later...

Junye, lostLore, It'sMeMeMe and 3 others like this.
  8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Konquerian

Js10 is just a little bit faster if you have to compare speed, but it's not really by much. Racquet recovery feels faster with the 88s. The js10 feels stiffer, but 88s is definitely head heavier, hence with more punch in its smashes. Drop shots and drives feel better with 88s, and it also packs more punch in its drives. 88s is just as good as the net as the js10. In short, the 88s feels like an upgraded js10 and a beefier arc11, at least that's how I feel about the two.

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Gotta love how bs12 is dead last. Makes you seriously wonder if he has even used it.

11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    And it's sold already. Seems to be very high demand out there for the 88s.

Realistic options atm for my next racket seem to be Customedge Type K, Flame N55, TK7000 SN, N7, 88D, 8XP, N7ii, JS10 & Z Speed. All of them I've never owned though I've used a few for a bit or sometimes more. Spending 6 hours trying to contemplate what to get certainly didn't help either as I'm more confused now than ever before.

(All in 3u ofcourse.)

#1611 swsh, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  12. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

Get the js10.. such a good racket

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

13. Konquerian

I find the list loveable also. If anyone can put bs12 dead last on a list for speed racquets, then he either had a fake copy or remembered it wrong . To this day, I'm still amazed at the speed of the bs12. But then again, everyone feels differently on racquets .

swsh likes this.
  14. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    having used an Apacs lethal copy of bs12, i can say even the apacs was crazy fast.
    Bravesword frames are very fast, if someone rates it at not being faster than 88s/88d is a clear KSS/MFG fanboy!
    only those fanboys come up with such speed polls where 88s is faster than bs12.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Guys, please. That was a classic Ferrerkiko'ism. Do not ask, do not wonder... just read and smile. I've missed him. :)

swsh and lostLore like this.
  16. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@swsh You devil man! I went ahead and bought the A88D! I am waiting for delivery now.

So, I am an intermediate player (playing mostly singles) and currently own the following rackets:

1. Duora 10 (3UG4) - BG80 @ 25lbs - Because I needed a racket
    2. Voltric Z Force II (3UG4) - BG80 @ 25lbs - Because Kento Momota was using this
    3. Apacs Nano Fusion Speed 722 (6UG6) - NGY95 @ 26lbs - for rare occasions i'll play doubles - don't wanna clash the Yonex but I want to play without fear.

The D10, it was a very nice racket for me and it fitted me like a glove. I was able to produce the shots I wanted to in an okay fashion. And since I got used to it, the power started to come on the clears and smashes.

Then I bought the VZF2, clears were better than the D10, smashes were instantly more powerful but lacked the steepness of the D10. What I loved it most for was net shots, drop shots and deceptive shots as it felt gave way more feedback than the D10. But since the D10 was less a handful, my defense was better and I could do the half smashes way better.

After that came the 722, being a 6U, the power was no where near the Yonex. Clears ended around late mid-court section, smashes were hitting the net, it was a disaster and I left it in a corner. Played with my VZF2 in doubles. D10 feels too fragile for doubles, seems like 1 clash would end its life.

But I had to restring my Yonex and was forced to play with the 722 for sometime. It was around this period itself, that I had the opportunity to play the strongest players in my club. I had to find a way to use the 722. Then I discovered the power of my wrist. Being 6UG6, my wrist was free af! The half smashes were way more powerful than my full body jump smash (and surprisingly it rivaled the power I was able to get from the D10 and the VZF2)! The wrist clears without much of a swing were way more powerful than my normal clears. Every single shots I had in my array was better. BUT, one cannot rely only on his wrist to play badminton so it was getting tiring to continue generating the power.

I then got back my Yonex. It was a disaster to play with the VZF2 because I had gotten used to a 6UG6. A VZF2 3UG4 was never going to happen. However, I was able to do a similar play with the D10 compared to what I did with the 722. At the end of the day, it was again the D10 coming on top because I was able to do both wrist shots and my normal shots, being a 3U it helps. But I felt that the G4 size is blocking my wrist and i'm not able to use them properly. That's why I was asking @swsh on shaving the grip of my rackets. The weight isn't too much of a problem, I still able to use my wrist shots and the weight is definitely key for normal swing but the grip size is annoying me now.

Now I'm buying the A88D (because Kento Momota is using it yes and @swsh got me on that one!) - Luckily, it will be a 3UG5! All i'm hoping that it can do is as follows:

- it's power is between the D10 and VZF2 - i think it can, it is more head heavy than the D10 but has the same stiffness and if it can flex like the D10, then I will be a happy man. VZF2 is too stiff for smashes for me. D10 is ideal.

- it can give me a nice feedback for net shot, drop shot and deceptive shots - head heaviness should help with that but I reckon it won't be as good as the VZF2 because it is not as stiff. Wish it could for these shots feel as stiff as the VZF2.

- it's faster than the D10 - as per the counter balance thingy it should be able to do it!

- the G5 size allow my wrist to be free - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

- the half-smashes are better than the D10 - we'll see.

I had to go with BG66 UM @ 26lbs because BG80 was not available.

What do you guys think? Will the A88D hopefully be a good purchase for me?

swsh likes this.
  17. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think Kon gave a very good review of the 88D so just look it up a few pages earlier. It just occurred to me that I haven't actually written a review of using the 88D yet, but basically what Kon said was pretty accurate in all aspects. Mine was strung with 66um at 31lbs.

A couple of things stood out. It is head heavier than 88S, and it feels much stiffer. The positions on the racquet chart between the 88S and D are actually quite accurate. The head weight is nowhere near as concentrated as a zf2 though. Given that it's stiffer, it feels like a more solid racquet. The 88S will feel more whip when smashing, but the D will have more control. It's definitely slower than the S but only by a little.

swsh and Quentin11 like this.
  18. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Hopefully it would be. But the most reliable answer to your question would ony come from yourself ultimately. You can just have an idea or you can just reference your decision based on other people's opinions but eventually one man's treasure might be your garbage can

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

Quentin11 likes this.
  19. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Yeah I read his review but it was more like a comparison of the A88D and the A88S right?

I don't want more whip than the D10 provide though. But i'm hoping for more power from head heaviness. Based on the matrix i'm hoping it'll give the same whip/flex than the D10. But I neeeeed that stiffness of the VZF2 on the net shots, drop shots and feints.

Maybe i'm asking too much. If it can do that, i'll have a perfect racket. Also if G6 was available.

20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Shave the handle a bit and use a g5 cap on top. Voila G6 grip is ready.