Yonex ASTROX 77 (2017)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cycril, Aug 2, 2017.

1. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    it is vinyl electrical tape being discussed, not rubber electrical tape... is that where the confusion lies?

llrr likes this.
  2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Oh.. never mind anything I just said.. haha :/

Well that certainly solved my question that's been in my head for a while whenever I see people say "wrap electrical tape first"..

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Also, you need very little of it, only like a few mm of overlap.

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Yeah. It makes sense now :p I just have never used tape so honestly didn't think about vinyl tape.

Back on topic for this thread though - I actually really want to know what's the difference between the AX77 and 88S/D. Do you have any opinions? It seems like both 88S and D cater to just about everyone so not sure where the 77 sits now.

5. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

77: easy to use allround racket (medium stiff) - Intanon, Yamaguchi
    88s: frontcourt doubles and singles (stiff) - Axelsen, Sukamuljo
    88d: backcourt doubles (stiff) - Gideon

6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I don't quite buy that though both 88S and D are just as easy to use and can be used for singles or doubles. I doubt RI or AY would have trouble with them..

7. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    don't buy it-- gideon used AX77 previously and yoo yeon seong endorses AX77 as well.

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

That's a bit quick mate.... LCW does that, and if you look closely at the Indo Masters this year, Gideon MF just wrapped a black overgrip on his AX77 with original grip and PLASTIC WRAPPING still on. LOL. Kudos to HD quality.

"Oh wow it's time for the match already? Ah whatever. Grap and kickass." They won that match. Think it was against Li/Liu.

9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Sure, but if LCW decided he didn't want that grip on there, he'd take it off in a heart beat. He *likes* the thicker grip, which is the opposite to what Paul's saying.

10. ErikaT

ErikaT Regular Member

TRADE FINANCE
    hi all

I just got my first professional racket ( of course is the ASTROX 77) at a bargain price at the warehouse sales.

Though the only ASTROX racket that i have played with before is the ASTROX 88s, I believe the 77 will work for me very nicely.

I know that my post is a little off topic. But Do check out my close up images on this awesome "court weapon"

Cheers

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Do let us know how they compare since many pro female singles players are using the 77.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Dat cheesy slogan.

So many hashtags makes it look like trying to win a competition...

Plus getting Viktor's name spelt wrong.... wew, whoa there son.

13. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I recently purchased a 3U G5 Astrox77 from e78.us (Many people here claim they sell legit rackets). So this is my inital impressions.

I feel like my impressions is vastly different than others. I find it hard to generate power, namely I find it due to the shaft which I'm still unsure how I feel about it. When I connect properly, I lift or clear out and when I don't it's barely mid court. I did not find the head heavy weight to be an issue and I think it's faster than most head heavy rackets.

Initally, I actually find this racket hard to use. I will keep an open mind as I have only played with it for 1 session. I will eventually post a review here after using it longer.

14. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    LOL

it's not a "claim" it's a fact.

Rob3rt and esppy like this.
  15. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I also ordered AX77 3UG5 at e78. Sadly I received a 4UG5 :(
    I strung it with my usual BG80 at 32 lbs and one layer of overgrip. Still hard to compare as I normally play with 3U Victor SW35 which I made extra headheavy with lead tape.
    AX77 is easy to wield, everything is easy except smashes. Probably too light and not used to midflex racket.
    Also bought a YY DZS 3UG5. Much better! Stiffness makes a great deal if you're used to stiff rackets!
    Would like to try AX88 S and D though.

16. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I’ve been using this racket for a week (about 10 hours of play time) so here my thoughts on the racket. I initially wanted to get a racket that was an all-rounder since I played every event and I felt like my current rackets (4U ZF2, 3U BRS12) had some drawbacks in different events. I did not want and enjoy switching rackets for different events. A summary of what I wanted was a BRS12 with some more head weight and not as demanding to use as my ZF2. Through some reading here I decided to pick up a 3U AX77 strung with BG65 @ 27lbs.

My initial impressions were not good, the flex in the shaft was destroying my timing while I could always switch between my other rackets easily. Power was odd to control and things were either short or out, especially with lifts. However, the feedback of the racket was good in my opinion so I roughly knew the quality of my shot on impact. As I continued to use the racket I began to get a better feel for it and adjusted my timing. Whenever my timing was correct the feeling and power was nice.

Essentially, every session I noticed improvements in my use of the racket and now I can say I like it and will probably continue to use it. It did take me around 4 months to full adjust to using a BRS12 from a NS9900. I don’t think this racket is super friendly to use, especially if you’ve used some stiffer rackets.

I’m not great with comparing specific shots amongst rackets so I just provide an overview of how I felt it matched up.

AX77 vs BRS12

BRS12 is faster and I wouldn’t say either is better than the other. The AX77 does have more power but it obviously gives it up for some speed. I’ve been performing worse in singles with AX77 over my BRS12 which is originally why I wanted a head heavier racket. Doubles performance was roughly the same.

So, if you have a BRS12 and want an upgrade, I wouldn’t bother with the AX77. The 88S/D might be better choice or some other rackets.

AX77 vs ZF2

This was a bit harder to compare, since at the time I got my ZF2 I was playing much more. Honestly, the ZF2 was addicting to use. I’ve been playing less and probably continue to play less for the next year and as a result my technique and fitness hasn’t been as great. ZF2 is unforgiving and whenever I do play I just get frustrated at not being able use it properly like I used to. The ZF2 was only a bit lacking in speed/defense for doubles, drives and otherwise superior to the AX77.

For me, the 4U ZF2 > 3U AX77 if you can use it. The AX77 is friendly to use when compared to the ZF2 and for most people the AX77 will probably be the better pick of the 2.

For myself I’m not sure if I’m going to get another AX77 since I would love to stop experimenting with rackets and finally find the ONE racket. I will continue to give it more time, maybe consider the Z-series version of Astrox depending on where I am in my life. The biggest factor is if can get my singles play up to my standards with this racket since I have problems recovering when pushed out of position.

Other rackets I don’t own but have access to try are: N90, N90-iii, N99, Nanoray Z Speed, Windstorm 72, N9-ii.

17. ljkmann

ljkmann Regular Member

Anyone have any string recommendations for this racket? Cheers

18. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Aerobite, LiNing No1 and BG66 Force were all good. :)

19. ljkmann

ljkmann Regular Member

Will string with No1 tonight!

20. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

I've just got a blue Ax77 4u. Looking forward to trying it out! :D