YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Wall drills are definitely good exercise to bond with one’s racquet during the down time on court. My cousins and I usually favor the wall drill of 10 sets of 20 hits. Wall drills help improve reaction time, reflexes, and aligning swing speed with your racquet. It doesn’t help with improving power, but more on handling. I sometimes do that to help break in my new strings .

badmintony and Quentin11 like this.
  2. Konquerian

Great suggestion @badmintony !

Wall drills are definitely great exercise for racquet bonding . It’s one of the favorite exercises during some down time on court for me and my cousins.

3. Konquerian

Yes, I would say so, in my opinion.

4. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

I own VZF2, LDF, DZS and D10 - all 3 Us .. In my opinion in terms of smash power

ZF2>LDF>AS88S>=DZS>DU10

With due respect to Kon, we should not forget DZS is extra stiff even balanced racket ( not too head heavy and do not just look at box side of it - racket as a whole ) .. This racket is about control, if you smash 10 times with it you will get the power not more than 5 times . Specially counter smashes , this may be due to smaller head size and extra-stiffness. Considering all the factors , success rate , headsize etc .. I feel AS88S has slightly better smashing capabilities. However, DZS is an amazing racket for drives but since the AS88S is a bit more forgiving wins over it. I strongly feel AS88D is going to be a winner , hence I agree with Quentin11 . This is just my personal opinion

Quentin11 and Konquerian like this.
  5. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

thanks for the advice, shall practice more this weekend.
    While on the other hand, my friend switching from li ning, never face any problem. =D

6. Konquerian

Everyone feels differently about a racquet, and your opinion is just as important to other members considering to switch racquets. There's definitely no disrespect in sharing your own opinions and feedbacks here , as I'm also a seeker of better insights and knowledge of experiences from others, so keep on sharing experiences and opinions .

Quentin11 likes this.
  7. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

Same here, feel DZS has more power, maybe just because i yet release the potential of 88D.
    I guess 88D required a full swing while DZS need shorter swing to smash.

Quentin11 likes this.
  8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

@Konquerian @RajUS @Leo tan

Thanks for your input guys and yeah it is good getting the opinion of others. You understand better where your ideal racket might end up being.

Like I said earlier I have the VZF2 and D10 both 3U. I can only get a few powerful smashes (quite flat) from VZF2. While I can get almost the same powerful smashes from the D10, much steeper and as many times as I want.

So for me personally, in terms of power as a whole, the D10 ranks higher than the VZF2.

Which goes to show that maybe my game needs a more flexible shaft or my hands are not strong enough etc.

But i'm really hoping that the A88D would top the D10 even slightly in terms of power in my personal scale lol. However, because of it's counter balance trick, I'm convinced no other rackets except maybe the A88S can beat it when it comes to clip smashes.

Clip smashes and behind the back clears are becoming my weapon of choice now for several specific reasons. And the A88D is supposed to help me on that xD.

Let's see. Fingers super crossed o_O

Leo tan likes this.
  9. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

One thing I haven't quite done yet is to try and practice multiple smashing in walling. I need a shuttlecock launcher:rolleyes:

10. Konquerian

Let's first get that stringing machine project out of the way, and then move on to a possible shuttlecock launcher .

11. badmintony

LOL yea, agreed. I think the T20's getting quite rusty already in my Tennisman.de cart:D

12. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

3u 88D > 3u DZS > 4u 88D
    4u 88D is superb on everything but base-line-smash.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Had a test session with these earlier today but I wasn't impressed at all. Very inconsistent in both feel and shot quality, it's as though they don't know what they want to be - head-heavy, or even? It seems to gain head weight when it's swung, bizarrely. Maybe that's the point, I don't know, but I didn't like it.

This is definitely not a Voltric replacement, in case anybody think it is; the Voltric was an attack dog. This is an attack cat.

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    At your actual setup Mark or perhaps much lower than what you generally play with? I ask purely for the feel part. It is a very inconsistent racket once you’re past the limits and it’ll bend more for some reason then. I quite liked it once I got used to it since it seemed to snap at the shuttle much easier. Regardless you’re absolutely right about that observation.

15. badmintony

Attack dog or cat, as long as it hurts your opponent badly and maim their game, that's all that matters I guess:D:D:D

Quentin11 likes this.
  16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I absolutely love cats. I can see why I like this so much.

17. Konquerian

I do agree with you that they are definitely not voltric replacements. Voltric is all about attack, but it seems these astroxs are more about control. However, I was impressed with the handling of both of them, with the already expected lack of power in mind.

I do love both dogs and cats, but I still much prefer my current dark saber n9ii .

Quentin11 likes this.
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

It's the shaft with NAMD doing its thing, making the shaft bend differently depending on how hard you swing. You will get used to it over time.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Leo tan likes this.
  19. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Ohhhhh so if I swing hard for smashes it'll be flexible but for slow swing it'll be stiff???

Seriously? If this works the way I think, it'll be my perfect racket!

20. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Players who use wrist flicks to generate power will get most benefited ... the quick jerk will flex these rackets more to produce steep and sharp smashes ... I felt swinging it ( AS88S ) quick/fast unleashes more potential . By the way .. Today I have ordered AS88D 3U ... I am happy with 88S and needed a replacement of LDF ...

Leo tan and Quentin11 like this.