YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. LeoWP

LeoWP Regular Member

After reading 90 pages of reviews, I've decided to go for AX88D 3UG5 version. Waited in agony for 1 week for the delivery, first impression in hand it doesnt really feel heavy (might be due to the rotational generation system) but can really feel the slight head heaviness. Will be trying it out on Monday itself and hopefully i will enjoy playing with it.

"The swordsman is more important than his sword, but without his famed sword, he is merely just a human being."

Attached Files:

Junye and swsh like this.
  2. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

Since last Wednesday, I've noticed more and more players using either the 88s or the 88d. 2 months ago, it was only my friend who was the first to use it in our gym, and then he got me into the 88s and 88d. I've been using them for over a month, now not only my 2 cousins are using the 88s, but one fourth of the players are welding these 2 racquets as well. It's like a fast spreading disease .

3. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Hi..my current racket is a 3u z speed..plan to buy a 4u 88d, does 4u 88d more maneuverable than 3u z speed?

4. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You sir are truly a dark influence to your community:D

5. Konquerian

In terms of the maneuverability, the nanoray z speed definitely feels faster, but it's lacking in power comparing to the 88d. And personally, I feel that the 88d can control the shuttle better. I've only used the zspeed briefly in the past, so I'm not the best person to give you a more detailed comparison. However, speaking from experience with using many different racquets, if you are a 3u user, I would suggest to stay with a 3u instead of going for a 4u, unless you are really looking for a lighter touch.

So why going for 4u 88d instead of the 3u, if you don't mind me asking?

6. Konquerian

If I were the source of this dark influence that contaminated my community, then they would mostly be using the n9ii instead of the 88s and 88d, so yonex is truly the dark influence here, I'm merely one of the many victims beneath its path as its darkness passed by .

llrr likes this.
  7. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

I only play doubles, less maneuverability means cant get upper hand during fast paced driving. Then which yonex racket is comparable to 4u 88d in terms of maneuverability? 3u arcsaber 11?

8. Halim Pato

Halim Pato New Member

Just bought an Arcsaber11 couple of months ago...superb control at BG66 ultimax 26lbs (in my opinion and skill tho)...reading this post is truly an epidemic ...might get an 88s 3u version in the near future

9. Konquerian

I mostly play doubles also, men's doubles, and I've used the 4u 88d before getting the 3u. The 4u is a little bit faster, so the difference is there, but not by much, really. I played against many tough college open opponents using 4u racquets, and I never felt that I was at a disadvantage using 3u racquets, and my maneuverability can closely match to theirs. Fast defense, netplays, and interceptions all can be done beautifully matching the 4u . Anyways, it's my own experience, so everyone is different. At the end, you should use what feels the most comfortable for you.

If I must compare the 3u and 4u 88d, I would say the speed difference is really not that much, unless you compare it to a different model racquet, like js10 or arc11. If you're only worrying about the maneuverability, I can say you can rest assured that the two versions will serve well. But if you are just not comfortable using a 3u racquet because of the weight difference, then that's a different story, and if that's the case, you should definitely go for the 4u.

A comparable yonex racquet to the 88d in terms of maneuverability will, of course, be the 88s , then follow by the arcsaber .

#1929 Konquerian, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    badmintony likes this.
  10. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

I usually use 4u for head heavy racket since it put less burden on my wrist. Isnt 88s a lot more maneuverable than 88d?

11. Konquerian

In that case, the 4u 88d should serve you better, especially your current racquet is a zspeed.

The 88s is definitely quicker at the front and sharper at the net, but I wouldn't say a lot more maneuverable. The 88d gives up a little bit of speed and gain a little bit more power. Both racquets shine at the front and mid-court, with the 88s a bit more agile at the front and the 88d has a bit more power attacking beyond the mid-court. I feel that I can get steeper angle smashes with the 88s, but the 88d has the power to bring it down better.

12. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Ok, thx for your input. Btw, which shaft is stiffer? 88d or z speed or arcsaber 11?

13. Konquerian

With the new namd shaft of the astrox racquets, it feels that the arc11 and zspeed are both stiffer than 88d, but that's just my opinion, of course .

14. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Arc11 stiffer than 88D? I really felt that I could feel the new ARC11 bend when hitting with the racket . Actually I am searching for a racket stiffer than ARC11, N9-2 and less than ZF2 so thought 88d to be the answer. I will wait for astrox X2 then .

15. Leemarc

Leemarc Regular Member

@KLFreedom
    I'm coming from d10 arc11 and Nrzspeed before and I can understand your concern. Even balance use 3u
    Head heavy use 4u.
    Ax88 only slight head heavy so still ok to use 3u but I find it is tiring to last 3 hrs session. It is good when you are fresh. Lots of power and control yielding a Ax88D 3u. Come to last hr session movement with the 3u showing signs of fatigue. Got myself a 4u 88D. Light better maneuver. Lost Abit of power compare to 3u but important not fatigue and can last 3 hr session.
    Currently now I rotate d10 arc11 Ax88D 4u depending on my opponent level .

16. Leemarc

Leemarc Regular Member

Try duora 8xp. The stiffness is between zf2 and Arc 11 .
    BTW 8xp launch together with ax88 and the whole world is focusing on ax88. 8xp is also an extremely good racket. It's has a Zspeed compact frame dual frame duora concept and stiff frame. Good power and control racket

Parth Nayak likes this.
  17. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Thank you.

18. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Thx, I think i will go for 4u 88d

19. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

So among these 3 rackets u mentioned, is the 4u ax88d the most maneuverable?

20. Leemarc

Leemarc Regular Member

Among the three I rate as below for most maneuverable.
    1. Arc 11
    2. Ax88D 4ug5
    3. Duora 10

The slight head heavy of the ax88 cause it to lose out to Arc 11 in terms of maneuverability.