TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2018 : Quarterfinal to FINAL (03-05 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 2, 2018.

1. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

In singles category, Carolina Marin creates history to be first WS to win 3 gold medals in world championships history. Marin on her element to prove she has major event material. Sindhu applies right strategy until mid first game, Marin comeback shifted the momentum and sadly it's one way traffic in second game as the Spaniard injected the pace to attack aggressively and conquered her opponent.

2. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Totally agree! I am not a big fan of her but she really has major event material.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

#2982 nizze, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  3. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

This!

-----

I actually don't think the final was anticlimactic.

Had I expected to see a close match, I would have been disappointed for sure.

But I expected to see the best player show his tremendous skills and give a clinic in how badminton should be played. It's a joy to watch KM play when he's like this. If you understand badminton technically at a high level, you appreciate his on court placement, reading the game, footwork (placing of feet compared to his opponents options, compusure, etc.).

And he didn't disappoint me.

KB@TB Em, kurako, It'sMeMeMe and 4 others like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hey Momota is back. What happened to LCW?

Li/Liu were on fire, unstoppable.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

We know how good he was. It was just some of us expected (maybe) someone else could have given KM some more hard time. :D

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long's net play can be very good too, as in some of his matches with VA, LCW and others when he's on top of his game. At the Nanjing WC, he's resurgent though stunned by SYQ for reasons only he knows best (no point delving into it here), but the way he played and beat VA is masterclass.

And CL has a lot of experience at the majors, having won three WC and one OG, plus Sun Jun has worked with CL more often and longer with successful results as in the 2015 WC and the 2018 Thomas Cup, as compared with Shi Yuqi's case who started training under him for the Thomas Cup and the WC. Besides, SYQ is much less experienced than CL who has played KM six times with a positive H2H 4 - 2 despite losing the last two encounters.

I didn't say CL would win , only that he would do better than SYQ. Btw, at the post-match conference, SYQ said playing a rallying controlled game is hard to win points and energy-sapping for him (by implication, admitting it's not his play style).

I also read somewhere that KM was praising Shi Yuqi for his attacking ability, courtesy talk perhaps, but I agree that's SYQ's forte even if KM's defense is superb, he still need to attack but with better preparation, i.e. after constructing the rally and seizing the initiative to attack decisively at the right moment as Sun Jun urged him to do at the interval (however, it's up to SYQ to implement it correctly , which I thought he wasn't sure how and it's too late anyway in the course of the match for him to grasp what Sun Jun with depth of understanding).

Don't forget, this is only their second meeting, their previous encounter was won by KM in three sets, not one-sided, where SYQ wasn't playing such a passive game at the BAC in April. Apparently, SYQ still has much to learn on how to play KM, partly by playing him more often going forward. That's how Chen Long learnt to beat LCW over time.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

Slow conditions suit CL KM . In Indonesia things may favour SYQ Kidambi etc.But you never know.CL won world chmps 2015 in indonesia.Maybe that CL will turn up in the Asian games and he will fulfill his destiny as one of the greatest defensive players ,winning everything there is to win.

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    LCW needs some rest due to ilness, and Momota rules:cool:

yuquall likes this.
  9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Is that picture in your avatar is a barbie doll or a girl? If she is a girl, she is definitely suffering from anorexia.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's easy to say how good KM is after he's won the WC match comprehensively. But what if SYQ has not adopted that , on hindsight, wrong strategy of playing KM's game, i.e. a controlled rallying game which , post-match, he admitted it's not really his style , just as it was not VA's style the last time he met KM at the INA Open. At the same time, SYQ added, he was uncharacteristically error-prone.

I can assure you, things never keep still for too long, all the players involved will be constantly learning, adjusting, revising, tweaking, improving, developing and even changing their game as Shi Yuqi , at 22, Kento Momota, at 24, and Viktor Axelsen , also at 24 are still not too old to do so.

At most, we can say, Momota is the best MS player at the moment.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

If ChenLong wins AsianGames, he is definitely better than TaufikHidayat , not that he has not?

12. Baddyforall

Even Srikanth almost defeated in his last meeting. Taking game 1 easily and making so many errors in the second and in game 3, he lost 15-21.
    His strategy also was right but the thing is mental issues . Losing to Daren liew something like that is completely unacceptable.

India should eliminate such players from National Squad and take some of the youngsters and give them full support.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, I think LCW at the semifinals against KM would be a real test, even a stumbling block for KM.

14. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    no offence but its easier for current player to win many major title as the Worlds now become annual event except in the Olympics year.

It's impossible for her to has 3 WC titles if it is still biennial world championships as she failed to win in 2013 and 2017

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  16. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Baddyforall likes this.
  17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    So As per Twitter PVS is the ONLY player after LCW to win 3 consecutive MAJOR SILVERS.

Now folks on twitter are calling her LCW Club and Some of them making fun and stuff Like I dont get it...?

I mean Honestly I feel if CM Made history then PVS has nothing less just a lesser but a medal in her hand and its her achievement...I dunno y people just hate the silver medalists..?

Like she has 4 WC Medals to her career and Honestly I think and believe she has chances to win more and Im sure may be not gold but she would definitely make the World Record for the most WC Medals which is possible in next 2 Years even if they are Bronze or silver...she could very well win another OL silver as well for sure

So Those talkin about ( LCW CLUB ) i guess it shouldnt be somethin for any player to be ashamed of is it ?

Cuz i dont think so..

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well.. I think no matter what strategy SYQ has adopted anywhere in the world, it would still have been KM's victory. Momota is just that good and SYQ is still nowhere close to him.
    Uncharacteristically error-prone.. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

19. Baddyforall

Freaky

nizze likes this.
  20. Queof Artkis

Queof Artkis New Member

of course! i agree, it's easier for current players to win multiple WC in this era..but i still find her achievements historical:)

to your second point, who knows? she might be or she might not be..as an ardent fan of her, I believe she can do it:D

stanleyfm likes this.