Victor new VBS strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Anthony Carey, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Anthony Carey

Anthony Carey New Member

Has anyone heard of the new strings Victor has coming up? I saw them on their Instagram (please forgive me for the uncropped screenshot :rolleyes:) but can't find them anywhere else. Here they are:
    VBS-63: High resilience, Medium feeling, 0.63mm
    VBS-66nano: High resilience, Medium feeling, 0.66mm
    VBS-68power: Control, Soft feeling, 0.68mm
    VBS-69nano: Durability, Soft feeling, 0.69mm
    VBS-70: Durability, Medium feeling, 0.70mm

Seems like Victor is trying to revamp their string selection with names similar to those of Yonex strings. What I find a bit weird is that the "control" string is called "power", but other than that everything seems good.
    I can see the VBS-63 being their Aerosonic and the VBS-66 their Ultimax. Kinda sad there is no "hard feeling" string in there to get that BG80 feeling but you never know, sometimes strings stated as being medium feeling turn out to be pretty hard while other medium feeling strings turn out to be real softies. :p
    That being said I'm going to wait until I see some reviews before buying some since I've always had the worst luck with Victor strings in the past. :rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20180223-061520.jpg

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Just purchased VBS-68P and VBS-63 on mybadmintonstore. I'm excited.

3. Anthony Carey

Anthony Carey New Member

Let me know how they feel :)

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    So far I have tested VBS 63 and 68. I'm loving 68 but won't comment further until it's been in my racket for some time and I can report on endurance.

VBS63 is fine and doesn't feel like a thin gauge string. I will be testing again because I was sidetracked and cut the string by mistakes! Oops.

Paul

Gpower likes this.
  5. |v@n

|v@n Regular Member

6. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Yes, so far I have tested 63, 66 and 68 gauge. They are a significant improvement on the other Victor strings. I've 69 and 70 to test but so far loving them.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Gpower likes this.
  7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    How hard would you say the 68 is? (normal 68 that has the yellow background under 68 not the 68 power with orange background).

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    What racket/tensions did you test?

How's the feeling on them with BG80 being very hard and something like 66 Force being very soft?

9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I wouldn't mind another VS890 (if it wouldn't snap in the bags...)

R20190 and xZhongCheng like this.
  10. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    I have used 68 in one racket at 30lbs. PLayability is really good and so far tension loss is small. The core of the string is not as hard as BG80 and the outer coating not as rough. But, I really like the string and would gladly buy a reel when they are available.

I use 66 in my TKF and response has been good. I could liken this more to 66 Force in terms of texture but the feel is more like 66 Ultimax. So far the string is holding well.

Paul

11. gkteong

gkteong Regular Member

how the vbs68/vbs68p compare to BG80/80P? any use this before?

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried these new Victor strings and can provide some feedback? I'm mostly interested in the thicker strings: VBS68, 69 and 70.

Do they hold tension well? Are they actually as "soft" as they are described? Durability? And what do they feel like?

Thanks!

13. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I have been using the 68 Power for a while now at 25lbs - haven’t snapped a string yet which compared to my BG80 is amazing. Tension is holding up well as well.

Doesn’t feel soft to me as stated on the packet. Have now got a couple of sets of the 68 control which is labelled as hard feeling to compare against.

So far so good and a massive improvement on previous strings and their tension loss.

Javier Primos and R20190 like this.
  14. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    I've a lot more experience of these strings. The only version I haven't tested yet is 70. My favourite is 68. I tested power and control. Power is a softer feel but plays very well. Control is harder feel and closer to BG80.

For the record, I used to break BG80 within 10 days and I am feeding shuttles 99% of the time. Victor VBS68 power was in my racket for 6 weeks without breaking. I replaced it because I had to send the racket to Kirsty Gilmour for testing. So far control version has been in my racket just under 5 weeks and then snapped. I'm happy with that.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

Gpower and yan2xp like this.
  15. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    May I know how is the performance of victor VBS68 when compared to VS850?

16. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    the issue with 850 was that it lost tension too soon. Additionally, there was an oily feel on the outside of the string. For a stringer, this isn't great because it means cleaning the clamps often. For a player it means there is less bite or grip on the shuttle

These new strings from Victor are far superior to the old ones.

Paul

17. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the insightful information Paul. I used to like VS850 alot due to the liveliness of the string and did not know about the oily feel on the string. Since it is far superior than the old ones, I guess it's time for me to try victor string once again.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Strung two of my BS12s with VBS68P and VBS69N and although I haven't played with them yet, there were a few interesting things I noticed about them.

The 68P seems to be modelled on the BG80P in it's construction and the 69N on NBG99. What was interesting was that the 69N measured thicker than my go-to string (VS890) before tensioning, but thinner after. I guess his is not that surprising as the 69N stretches a lot, which was noticeable when I pre-stretched the strings, its a really elastic string.

Having strung them at 35lb 5 days ago and without seeing a single shuttle, they have dropped tension noticeably quicker than VS890 just sitting there. Probably on par with their Yonex counterparts.

I don't mind an initial tension drop as long as it stabilises after and remains relatively consistent throughout. Will see soon enough how they play but I have a feeling I will prefer the 68P over the 69N.

llrr likes this.
  19. BengGuan

BengGuan Regular Member

Stringer
    Should try VBS-68, most of Korean and Malaysia national player currently have used this models. Some of Taiwan national player also use this model, but half of Victor Taiwan sponsor player still using VS-800. Better hold tension than BG-80.

20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

Hmm, tried to string VBS-63 and VBS-66N. Both strings died in a grommet to excessive twisting. Not to place the blame solely on the string (I was a bit lazy with my own rackets grommets maintenance), but these strings are definitely prone to twisting.