help! no clue on unbranded drop weight stringing machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mojo7676, Aug 16, 2018.

1. mojo7676

mojo7676 New Member

waiter
    Hi

so have just bought what i think is a complete, but rather basic/rudimentary and relatively inexpensive, stringing machine. I don't string but figure it might be something i can learn - i have a few rackets and am happy to learn on my own as and when necessary.

it comes with a couple of clamps and some small tools.

the problems i have are as follows:

it's not branded so i'm having difficulty finding a manual or relevant videos and guides. i hope the experienced stringers might be able to offer some insight into which models to which this one bears some similarities.

the rod/bar thing, which screws into a ratchet device, has no numbers or indications of tension - anyone know how to assess/guess or know how to get around this?

am assuming the racket sits onto the two chrome bits - one on each of the slideable base things; once the racket is in, with the handle pointing toward the pull rod, they can be tightened up, holding the racket in place. to keep the racket square and avoid warping, it needs to be held fast on the sides as well.

do i need anythign else to have a go at stringing? do i need any more clamps, for example? there are two that came with it.

there are two weights - a big one and a small one; the bigger one i guess is for tennis/squash rackets?

please correct me if im wrong on any of the above

some pictures included - happy to post more

if anyone has any information about this or a similar machine, that'd be very much appreciated. have looked on youtube for a good while and found various guides but none seem to be relevant.

thanks in advance

mojo

Attached Files:

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Imo it's scary to buy unbranded racquets, but even scarier to buy unbranded stringing machines :eek::eek:

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's less the missing brand and more the missing bits and pieces (side supports for example) that let me question the value of your purchase. Hope you haven't payed much for it.

4. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I don't think you can string badminton with that yet. You need badminton flying clamps. Yours seem to be for tennis. You side support is a bit weird. It's plain it will block holes. You can buy side support from a user from this forum. You can buy from gefen. Google gefen stringing. You will see some at the accessories section.

Don't be scared you just need to buy some stuff.

5. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Ok I see that you are missing some bits for the two towers. Those parts are very important. If you look at your tower. You will see that it prevents the racket for going up but how does it keep not going north and south. I think it's missing parts there.

6. mojo7676

mojo7676 New Member

waiter
    hi

thanks for the replies, especially fanfaron.

it sounds a bit of a pain and i'm not entirely sure if i understand correctly which parts are missing - have had a look at the geffen website and found 'Badminton extra slim, 4mm SideSupport' - so would these go on top of the round metal/chrome bits that screw on/off - located in the middle of the sliding horseshoe shaped bits?

i might just try reselling on ebay as spares/repairs or something if it turns out to be too complicated. i'm still no wiser about the tension/pulling rod or how i'd actually start using this thing. never strung a racket before!

very much appreciate the info - fanfaron.

mojo

7. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

it's a wise decision. when buying string machine, first criteria is the price. Of course every body wants the cheapest possible. But when working with the machine, the job has to be enjoyable. It has to flow. Buy a good machine even it's expensive and it will pay by itself by stringing for friends. If the machine gives you all sort of trouble or you have to adjust for any reason because there's shortcoming then you will not enjoy stringing. if you are in the States maybe get a Alpha machine or Gamma. If you don't think you want to string for others people then get the job done by someone is always less expensive than owning a machine.

Cheung likes this.
  8. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

do you have something like this, it might be white or black. you see this goes to the throat and the head of the racket. it holds the inside of the racket, when clamp down the racket stay still when doing the mains. if you don't have this, you can still have a load spreader to fit on the throat and head, if it works than you can still string with the machine. you don't need the side holder. your machine will be just a two points machine meaning two point holding the rackets compare to 6 point which most people have here. If you look at klipper string machine, it's a two points machine and people do string badminton racket on those.

https://www.klipperusa.com/

on gefen page there a tool for 2 points machine which help racket distortion.

Cross Brace, mainly for Two Point Support stringing machines, to prevent racket distortion of Tennis, Squash and Badminton rackets, NEW £ 25.00

Again, if you think you gonna string for other people better get a nice machine. With a nice machine you can show to other people that you are serious and their racket is in good hands. But before doing others people racket you need to practice a lot on your racket. You don't want to break other people racket...

9. mojo7676

mojo7676 New Member

waiter
    thanks again for the advice and the links. i bought it on a whim, really - have thought about learning to string in the past and this thing seemed cheap enough so i thought why not.

anyway, there are no other pieces with the machine. to me it seemed as if the racket sits on top of the shiny chrome metal bits, with the threaded bar going through, and then the chrome wheel sits on top and is tightened to hold the racket in place.

i've had a look at the video on klippermate - it looks very similar but there are no close ups and i'm still unsure about the puller and how to set tension so the idea of using this is still out of my comfort zone.

yes, you're right about buying a better machine - i might do that in the future but for now, will likely sell this on ebay - someone might be able to make use of it! i'll probably go for a pro's pro or something - one of those with the hand crank mechanism and one with instructions!

thanks again -

mojo

Attached Files:

10. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

To pull tension on the string you have to first insert the rod with the weight (small one for badminton) into the threaded hole of the black part on your second picture. I can't see very well from the pictures but it looks like a drum gripper: you have to loop the string around the drum (chrome part in picture 2) like you would on a gamma drop weight (youtube has some video on how to do it).

The rod has no scale so you need to get a luggage/fishing scale to calibrate it. Simply attach some badminton string to the scale, then try different weight position on the rod and mark your favourite tensions.

11. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    For the money you'd have to spend on clamps, luggage scales, side supports, and any other bits you need, I'd rather just get a new machine. Like fanfaron has said, it'll pay for itself in due time. Plus you'd actually have a really good machine, not whatever that is ^. Even if you have to save up a bit more to pay for the initial cost, I would wait.

I'd also avoid Pro's Pro. They aren't terrible, but after a few months you'd wish you bought a better machine for not a lot more. I'd look at the Superstringer S70, or if you can afford it, the S90.

s_mair likes this.
  12. mojo7676

mojo7676 New Member

waiter
    many thanks, LoaS and Razor Blade - that's very helpful but, weighing things up, i think it'd be easier to start again with a more user/beginner friendly machine, as advised by others also. i've seen a few more videos and i think it's a bit clearer - i would have a go but strings on my racquets are still good!

thanks again
    mojo

13. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I think you may have every bits and pieces for an antique stringing machine. You may need some small additional tools to make the job easier.

1. The ancient flying clamps are for Tennis or old wooden rackets, they do not seems to fit well into modern 72-76 holes badminton rackets. A pair of modern flying clamps will solve your problem.
    2. The side supports may need some upgrade even though the existing one will still get the job done if the tension is not high. You have to pay attention not to get the hole blocked when tightening. A new side support will be handy.
    3. Small weight for badminton and bigger one for tennis.

After set up, your machine should looks like those portable stringing machine below.
    old stringing machine.jpg old stringing machine 2.jpg flying clamp.jpg side support.jpg