What is the fastest time you have broken strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jeremy leung, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jeremy leung

jeremy leung Regular Member

Plz tell me what string and tension

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Same day I strung my racket. Was around 13 kg on a Z-Speed (Aerosonic). Wasn't used to the timing of the racket and snapped the strings due to a complete mishit on the top.

3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Second hit (first hit was the serve) during warm up with a freshly strung racket and a slow shuttle. Mishit at the top. Victor VS-850 @ 12.6 kp on a RSL Heat 8600.

4. Furyan

Furyan Regular Member

Within 2 hours, aerosonic on a zf2 at 26 or 7 can’t remember I think it was with a clear.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    During warm up clears within 2 minutes max. NBG99 @ 13.5/14.

6. nopokecheck3

nopokecheck3 Regular Member

Within 2 minutes of a game. Had it restrung > picked the racket up > go straight into game > 3 smashes in, > mishi t at the bottom. Boom! $28 down the drain.

7. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    I string my rackets all at 27lbs. Using 0.63mm Mizuno MT-63.
    On the Apac it keeps breaking randomly between 10mins to 1 game.
    While on Mizuno JPX same set up no issues!
    Fastest is Aerosonic 0.61mm at 27lbs on Z-speed abt 5mins 2nd point....smash and shuttle stuck to racket.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

8. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

have you tried doing a full grommet replacement on the apacs?
    at times, grommets might look fine but may already be damaged.

snapped no.5@25lb within first few hits (no miss hits)
    went home, changed out all the 'uglier grommets' - went for no.5@24lbs.
    thought all was well until it snapped second game (also no miss hits)
    went home, did a full grommet replacement - back to my familiar tension @27lbs
    no more issues - lasted a full 3 months.

Grommet care is extremely important in saving both your racquet and the strings.

s_mair likes this.
  9. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes I agree. Must be gourments. But the racket was brand new and yet I get this? Simply poor quality from Apacs. I've played with cheaper stuff from Yonex didn't get these problem.
    So full replacement is not for me. I gave the racket away.
    With thin strings the gourments really get cut in badly.
    Some gourments just deform. Some like those from Apacs splits!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. chenjun1990

chenjun1990 Regular Member

The first time I tried an Ashaway string (cannot remember the exact model, but most likely Zymax 65), the string broke within 2 minutes during warm up with clears. 26lb tension on a Carlton Kinesis rackets. It was sad.. After that, I decided not to use Ashaway string anymore and stick to Yonex and Gosen strings.

Bieffe likes this.
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    2 rallies. still a mystery to me after all these years.

12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Dang! So it was the grommets? I remember you having some bad luck with No.5, completely contrary to my experience. I can't see this stuff snapping any time soon. I'm glad it's lasting you better these days.

13. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

Good memory! Hah yes it was the grommets after all.
    I've successfully got a couple other club mates onto no.5 as well.
    Durability of no.1 is never an issue with me though, so I normally just go with that.

14. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

2 weeks - Li Ning No.7 @ 29x31
    2 weeks - Li Ning No.7 @ 24x26

Same racquet, same stringer (1 piece continous method, 2 knot), same string batch, color and all.
    I was then curious to test the suggestion that dropping my tension would result in less breakages but it looks like its nonsense.
    Both breakpoints were almost identical and slightly above center - one of the crosses.

I have snapped 5 strings in the last month and my wallet is broke :<
    Am currently thinking of tennis strings - maybe just maybe, if it fits the grommet LOL.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Something is wrong with your racket or stringer. As Okaharu found out, No.5 lasts for ages, No.7 is even thicker. There's a problem somewhere down the line that couldn't be attributed to the string, frankly.

16. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Hmm thats rather interesting, In recent months, no.5 and no.7 became my favorite strings so I went through a dozen of them in total. For reference, all no.7's were Purple and all no.5's were Red. I do suspect that it might be a batch quality issue perhaps, or something related to the shuttlecock cork/weight/material combination.

Whats odd to note is that initially, I was amazed at no.7 lasting 2-3 months, which is why I dropped Yonex entirely. No.5 would last 2-3 weeks on average. Those lifespans then began dropping rapidly, despite the fact that I was purchasing them from the same store, same colors and all. These days, both no.5 and no.7 last me 2-3 weeks on average.

Regarding my stringer - I think he's the best out of several others i've tried as the stringbed and hitting feedback alike feels the most consistent compared to several others.

The last thing that comes to mind is my hitting pattern - I seem to be breaking these Li Ning's in the same centered spot point all the time. Comparing the wear spots from a year or two back. When I first started playing, the wear pattern would be more evenly spread accross the stringbed so you'd see notches on the top, sides and bottom even. These days, there's virtually 0 wear on everything off center. I find it odd too that past a certain point about a year ago, my mains stopped breaking and it switched over to the central cross instead. Would it help if I uploaded some pictures of the breakpoints?

PS: My stringer did report an actual manufcturing defect with one of the Li Ning strings, but that was a No.1. He was forced to revert back to the usual 2 piece / 4 knot method as a result.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    2-3 weeks for No.5? Even that is way too short. I am willing to bet it's the grommets or the stringer. If it's breaking in the centre, there could be a few causes, and sharp grommets is one. The other is where bad stringers clamp the middle of a centre string as their starting clamp, rather than doing a double pull and re-clamping each string individually. I've seen people destroy strings with this method.

18. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

That clamping technique you mentioned is news to me, thanks for bringing that up! Just to confirm, is this standard for both the 1 piece and 2 piece methods?

Regarding the grommets, on a different racket, I put a full set of fresh grommets on and it lasted for approximately a month on no.5 although its a completely different beast of a racket; my 'flexier' rackets seem to extend string lifespans to a small, but noticeable degree while others like the ultra stiff 2U nanoray z speed make them pop on a regular 2 week basis. The usual suspect rackets here have the original yonex grommets which to my knowledge, are relatively soft when compared to the harder nylon compound varities of say cheap apacs grommets to which many moan and groan about.

The reference racket in question has continous grommet bumper strips identical to the zforce 2's:
    [​IMG]

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Why are they not strung the same way at the top..?

20. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

In order left to right these were strung by:
    sunriseclick, sunriseclick, my previous stringer, sunriseclick

Note this is an old picture just for reference, about a year ago. These were all Yonex strings with the exception of the odd one out that you pointed out. The odd one out had Li Ning No.7 and was exemplary in that it lasted 3 months and set a durability record @ 31x33; the other yonex's in the picture lasted 1-1.5 months on average (NBG95, BG66F, NBG95).