Questions about players' game play and mannerism

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by minions, Oct 10, 2018.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

Hi, I'm new here. But, I have been watching this forum since last year. There are some questions I would like to ask.

1. Is it appropriate for player who win the rally to celebrate when the opponent makes an unforced error?
    2. Is it necessary for player to apologize when he/she wins the rally by lucky net cord?
    3. Is it appropriate for player who win the match to celebrate when the opponent is playing badly or having an injury?
    4. Does the player need to play beautifully to make badminton more interesting?
    5. Is it acceptable to perform fake racket swinging?
    6. To what extent does the player can protest when there is a bad call?

Sorry if I ask too much. But, I just want to know your opinion.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The answer to all of that is "it depends". Every person has their own standard of what "sportsmanship" means. There's no set standard IMO.

For me personally:
    1. I would, especially if it's at a critical moment in the game.
    2. I always do.
    3. I wouldn't if they are carrying an obvious injury, but if they just played badly that's not my problem.
    4. I like aesthetics, but at the same time, when I'm playing I don't think about it because I'm more worried about the game.
    5. I don't and also don't think it's acceptable.
    6. I would initially react to it then try to get on with the game quickly after. This is mostly because logically I know there's no point with spending energy protesting when it can't change anything.

3. minions

minions Regular Member

Can I know about your reason on point 2 and 5? I can't think the reason of these.

4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Regarding 2, I always apologize if the shuttle hits the net cord and I win the point because like you've mentioned already, it's just me getting lucky. Even if I tried to aim for as close to the net as possible (let's say a net roll) I would still apologize because nobody aims to hit the net cord. It changes my intended placement of the shuttle. Even if you see Axelsen hitting the net cord 7/10 times in practice you'll never see him do that in a competitive match.

As for 5, I think this is personal preference. It just doesn't feel right to me. Fake racquet swings is almost like taunting your opponents, which is something I won't do.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

1. If it's a hard-fought rally or a forced error it's acceptable to me. Not when my opponent hits a serve into the net, for example.
    2. It shows good sportsmanship, but you don't have to.
    3. I wouldn't celebrate if I won due to an injury. But if the player was slightly injured before but decided to play, might as well celebrate if it's a good game. Sure you can celebrate if he is playing badly.
    4. No.
    5. Yes.
    6. Depends on the type of competition. Usually when it's a line on the opponents court, there's little you can do if they are stubborn and there's no umpire.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Your questions seems to allude to KSS's antics and judging from your username may be he has inspired your questions?

I guess you can do what you want unless it breaks the rules in the umpires eyes - which most of them don't seem to do. But whether they are considered good respectful, professional and mature behaviour is another question.

7. minions

minions Regular Member

That's just one or two of my questions. I also ask about point 4 because some peoples here don't like watching ugly play style from certain players.

8. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    1. With my friends, yes! haha. A snarky little "thank you" is always a cause for laugh. In a serious game or with strangers, no.
    2. I think I hand up and a small "sorry" is appropriate, although with my club members I always loudly whisper "not sorry" after I apologize. ;)
    3. In a normal club night? What kind of celebration do you do? Usually a win is just greeted with a small fist pump or a high five to your partner, nothing too gloating or over the top. So that's fine.
    4. No.
    5. You mean deception? That's fine
    6. Depending on who is winning or is a better player, they should usually be gracious and accept the lost point, or give it to the weaker player side. (If it really is uncertain and both sides adamantly disagree.) Although we have security cameras at my gym and sometimes we review the footage just to see if it was in or out, haha.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Manners are different to every person which is influenced heavily by the upbringing and surroundings. It's not something that is universally accepted by anyone without compromising. Even the most fundamental thing like eating has different manners depends on what, where and when etc. In some country eating with hands is a custom where anywhere else would be considered bad manner. Another example is slurping, it could be viewed in a totally different manner depending on where you are, who you are or what you eat.

Same thing with sports too, unless it is made universal by some basic book of rules, anything goes.

1&3 I don't see anything inappropriate for anyone to celebrate any point a player wins. It depends on the circumstances and the level of celebration too. Though toying with an injured opponent and over celebrate every point would be a disgusting scene.

2. It is not necessary. But it is some form of courtesy or a habitual gesture and again it varies. I would rather have an opponent to just apologize when he really means it. If he doesn't feel bad about the lucky net cord, why apologize? it's fine by me.

4. Define "beautiful". Artistically, could be more interesting for those who only watch badminton for the sake of entertainment or don't really know much about badminton. Technically, most of the skill or techniques in badminton are about the wrist movement which could be easily invisible with the speed and the angle depending on how much you are paying attention.
    Flamboyant players attract more new audience, that's for sure.

5. If your name is Sukamuljo, the answer is yes ;) . But anyway personally I don't mind what people do with their rackets as long as they are not physically threatening nor injuring others. Breaking their rackets however is something I can't understand.

6. Until the umpire gets fed up and gives the player a yellow (red or black) card. :D

10. minions

minions Regular Member

I agree with all of your post. But, I am curious just to what extend the player manage to fed up the umpire.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well, it's really hard to say. That depends on the umpire's level of tolerance.

12. minions

minions Regular Member

Now, I will imagine what if Kevin does all of his antics in front of the umpire who is equivalent to Carlos Ramos. If you don't know about Ramos, he is the umpire in the final of US Open 2018.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

The tennis umpire? Just looked him up, something to do with Serena Williams in US Open? I don't follow tennis so I am not really sure what happened in the match.

I don't know why you would compare Kevin's antics to this because his usual on court antics are technically not breaking any rules. His protest against bad umpire calls are not unusual either as he isn't the only one who has overdone it.

Umpires are human, unfortunately they do make mistakes and sometimes it could be a game changer which sucks to the losing side (after a futile protest).

14. minions

minions Regular Member

Even if the umpire make a mistake and quickly realize this, the umpire can't just say "Ah, sorry, just ignore my previous bad call". Some of the umpires' judgements are subjective. They may even judge based on what they feel instead of what has written in the rules.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    to 1) Depends for me on the rally. If it was a tough rally I celebrate it. Not the error of the opponent, I celebrate my self for keeping long in play.

to 2) I apologize for that.

to 3) If my opponent plays bad, why shouldn't I celebrate after a won match? We compete in same levels. I wouldn't celebrate if my opponents retire, but depending on the circumstance like getting from SF into Finals, I would celebrate it very tame.

to 4) What's the definition of beautiful? For me a good technique is always a joy to watch, same for clever tactics. For my own game, I play as simple and secure as I can. Not much tricky stuff or trick shots. So yes and no.

to 5) Depends. I also had moments to swing and partner said that I should let go. So I was in the swing, but let go out. Must anybody decide on its own. I don't need such antics, if the shuttle is 3 feet out, but if it's tight, I do it too.

to 6) On my own games it depends. If I'm pretty sure that it was in and opponent says out, I call for a let in my own games. But I don't do this on regular base. I normally trust my opponents and think that any sportman don't need to cheat. If they try, I ask an independent player on the bench what he/she has seen. I also was called by my team mates to have an eye on the court. Mostly cheaters don't want to be caught, so a simple person who keeps an eye on the back lines, can prevent cheating.

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Which makes them human. So it is better for the players to "behave" and avoid upsetting the umpire in any way ;)