Current training regime

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Mar 21, 2017.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

One thing that popped to my mind instantly while reading this - have you ever tried slacklining? I can hardly imagine a better workout method to improve muscle coordination and fluid, but balanced movements. I did this quite a lot when I was more into sports climbing and I couldn't believe how much slacklining changed my whole body awareness.

And the best part: It's so much fun too if you do it somewhere outside in a park - and normally, all kids love it too.

#281 s_mair, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't tried slacklining.

I have reached my capacity for trying new things for the moment.

After my last post, yesterday, last night I had a training session and followed it up with some games. The games went very very well. Some of the guys who haven't been down for a while said there has been a big change in my game. One of the regulars said even between last week and this week there was a lot of improvement. Court coverage, range, choice of shot was very good. Not perfect but rallies were longer and opponents were having a harder time finding spaces.

All that work training is showing some benefits.

Afterwards, I went for some nightfood, and at home gobbled up some weetabix, alpen, milk, casein powder to make sure muscle glycogen is replenished and have protein for nighttime muscle repair.

khoai likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Quite a lot of happenings in the last few days.

The physical trainer gave me some different exercises to try. Barbell lunges and others which I don't know the name of. Some of them are not easy. She noticed I have some weird imbalanced movements. We had a discussion about these. Oh yes, we did a fair bit on trying to open up my shoulders trying to increase the range. She warned me that it might temporarily muck up my timing and yes, that night I didn't play that well.

I also saw a physio as I have been having problems with back pain to the side of spine. The diagnosis is facet joint pain. Aggravated by the twisting preparation for overhead shot. In fact, it might be related to my lack of opening the shoulders on overheads so that I rotate more with my lumbar spine to compensate Coach says it's a very common problem in badminton players. Physio needs to loosen up my lower thoracic spine and coach needs to be more strict on technique (open shoulders more) and footwork for those overheads. A good dose of diclofenac helped a lot today ! I usually try to avoid medicines so the pain is significant for me.

We had our first match today. We won but I get the feeling that I did not use anything of what I have been training recently! I don't think my feel of the shuttle was that good for the first half game and then this improved. But just do enough to win is good enough. Maybe just as well we can win but not at our full potential because you get watched by your opponents in the next round. Our next round match is a week later, so more work this week on training and partnership.

Finally, today I got a twinge of tennis elbow. Need to do my stretching and be a bit careful.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Training wise it was the usual on court training. I have a lazy left foot... It tends to stay rooted in one place. I worked on pushing off, small turning and change of directions.

Today was competition day - the next round. It was a tough one. We didn't get going for a game and a half. We had a game plan but kept making unforced errors. Then we pushed up the pace. One of the opponents previously played for one of the top league clubs in HK. Eventually we eeked out the win in three sets after nearly an hour of play. Because it was a tougher match I was pleased to see some of the things practiced in training were coming through and showing on court.

Physically, I felt really good and was able to raise my game and sustain the pace right to the end. How did I prepare? Wednesday I had a longer coaching session with partner, so we could do two against one. Later I had two hours of doubles. So I really exhausted myself and unfortunately got a blister for my troubles. Thursday and Friday I had to take a break due to work. I also relaxed on the food intake and ate good portions

Then it was match day. I had a hitting session for an hour just doing routines. Recovery took some glutamine and whey mixed drink. Had lunch (pasta) and then went to the venue. We only play one match a day I did my usual stretches, a few deep squats and a few deep lunges. Kept well hydrated. Mixed up glutamine and whey for pre match and match drinks.

Tonight after the match I feel physically very good. Not tired at all. Just did some stretches, rolling and now off to bed

5. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Congrats! Is the competition over or you go to the next round?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The next round is the coming Saturday.

I took a rest two days ago and back to training. Work is a bit lighter.

We continued to work on rear court movements. I am keen to because they are physically tough. I am naturally stronger at the net and a counter attacker. I have to spend more time on rear court routines and if I keep it up, that makes me have a more complete game with fewer holes.

Some routines that we did are two vs one with two at the net playing tap drives to the defender. The defender has to drive back and change direction of the shuttle. The stance and feet have to be active and turning the body to change direction of the shuttle. Focussed on keeping low with that squat position - oh those burning quads. We did this with me in the centre of the court, left of the court and right side of the court. Great exercise.

Another was practicing slice shots as a sudden variation.

We also worked on an inconsistent area of mine. Sometimes on my back hand going forward for a high floating shuttle, I hit the shuttle into the net. It is like you are standing at the rear of the court and moving forward and to the left hand side (I am right handed ) and the shuttle has no pace. After analysing my technique, on the shots that the error occurs, I drop the racquet head first and then raise it. Whereas the normal technique is to have the racquet head in front of the body, and then it goes in a straight line to the shuttle. What made it tricky was that I don't drop the racquet head all the time so could not work out why sometimes I am OK and sometimes not. Once we identified the issue we did some routines and bang, my percentage of good shots in that area for that shot goes up dramatically. I love learning and correcting things like this.

Got a couple of sessions with my partner this week.

I have to plan match day. Will try to get a hitting session about 5h beforehand to really stretch out the muscles. Will get a meal about 2.5h before the match starts.

7. rulebavaria

rulebavaria Regular Member

Hello everyone!

This seems like the right thread to ask questions about my current training regime. I don't know if some of you remember me. I'm the former tennis player who has started playing badminton as a social player about a year ago.

I haven't posted for a while but I haven't given up on badminton. On the contrary, I have played socially (once or twice a week) before finally joineing a club last June. Since then, I have been playing much more seriously. My current training schedule looks like this and I was wondering if I'm overdoing it:

Monday [Home]: 30 minutes Individual HIIT-Training (Tabata) with focus on plyometric, core and footwork exercices
    Tuesday [Club]: Team training session (2 hours)
    Wednesday [Club]: 6 corner footwork (~20 to 30 mins) plus specific training with an advanced team member (4th German division)
    Thursday [Club]: Team training session (2 hours)
    Friday [Club]: Team training games
    Saturday and Sunday: Rest

When we have competitive games on week ends I usually skip training on friday.

I feel like I have improved a rapidly since then but I wonder if I'm not accumlating too much fatigue. I don't really feel exhausted in the midst of training or during the games but I do feel some fatigue (especially in the legs) during the day. Would you reduce the training load and if so what would you cut out and why?

Thank you for your help. I will try to post a video of my progress soon.

8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Doesn't look like too much to me, but it depends a lot on what the team training looks like and maybe your specific training on Wednesdays. The intensity of both can vary extremely, this I say as a coach and as a player who has experienced training with quite a few different coaches.

For the Friday matches, I actually enjoy some games on the day before my competitions and using a foam roller afterwards, I just try not to exaggerate. If Thursday's training is very intense, you might want to try skipping it and playing on Fridays instead... and see whether you feel faster on Saturdays. You can try this when the training is very technique focused as well, since it might be too much for you when playing with your training still on your mind.

Let me share a story of a boy (let's call him Pünktchen) who changed clubs earlier this year to train and play at our club. He did have proper coaching before, so he doesn't have to learn as much as you do, but still he was amazed at how many details he had to change in his technique and he started to train for times a week with pretty high intensity.

Mondays - a pretty diverse group, one great coach, one assistant coach, so the intensity can be kept high enough
    Tuesdays - smaller group, age wise diverse, but the level is quite high, only one coach, technique focused, but when adapting those techniques in game situations, the intensity is quite high, too
    Wednesdays - homogenous group age wise and mostly only the strong players show up, highest intensity training ("they don't have training on Thursday, so they don't need to be able to walk on Thursday") by a large margin, also used to get many repetitions of the techniques they are focusing on at the moment
    Thursdays - no training
    Fridays - training focusing on game situations

At first, Pünktchen struggled a lot, he wasn't used to the intensity and he had to adapt more things than expected and he performed way below his expectations in competitions. You could see that he wasn't fresh when being on court. Now (half a year later), he is used to the intensity, but still has some things he needs to adapt to. Last weekend, he played a tournament with eight or nine matches on Saturday (single and mixed doubles) and some more double matches on Sunday and he performed superbly and still looked fresh in his last game, easily qualifying for the next stage (Westdeutsche Meisterschaften) in all three disciplines.

You're probably older than he is, so you might need more time to recover and coming from tennis, you have much more to learn than he does. Maybe share some more details on your training?

rulebavaria and Cheung like this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Let's assume you are in your early thirties.

Physically you can be stronger all round. 30 minutes of HIIT is not a lot. I would not underestimate really strengthening your core and back muscles. This will give you greater stability in your strokes.

Make sure you do post exercise stretches.

What are you doing post exercise for nutrition and recovery?

rulebavaria likes this.
  10. rulebavaria

Thank you for your replies

@speCulatius: I will give you this week's detailed schedule as an example:

- Monday: HIIT-Training: warm-up, jumping jacks, squat jumps, dynamic lunges, plank, side plank, stepping, in & outs, backward/forward
    - Tuesday: Team training session: warm-up (without & with racket), 4x15 corner footwork (no shuttle), half court drills, neutralizing shots drill, practice games
    - Wednesday: warm-up, 8x25 corner footwork (no shuttle), smash and smash defense (half-court), back-court clears (forehand bu& backhand corner), practice games
    Thursday: Team training session: warm-up, shuttle pick up drill, shadow exercise (repeat back court scissor kick followed by net kill), shuttle feeding pyramid (10, 20, 30, 40, 30, 20, 10) at a "fast" pace, practice games
    Friday: warm-up, practice games

The club is not highly competitive and the training group is quite diverse so it suits me well. I feel like I am improving at a "good" pace but I wonder if my body will be able to keep up.

@Cheung: Well you are spot on. I am 31 and I do feel that I need to get a lot stronger physically. In fact my coach says that I'm quite fast and do well fighting for every shuttle but that my overall body stability is terrible and slows me down a lot. I also feel that my start after the split step is very slow.

That's why I have incorporated the HIIT training to my schedule two weeks ago. I hope that I can get stronger thighs and glutes thanks to the jump squats and dynamic lunges (and thus improve explosiveness) and better core stability thanks to the plank exercices. I will up the intensity for the HIIT training as I get better with a goal of 45 minutes of demanding exercises.

As for my post exercise nutrition I don't do anything special. I make sure that I drink lots of water and usually eat one or two bananas or drink a banana/fruit shake. My overall eating habits are okay I guess, I avoid junk food, sweet drinks, alcohol altogether during the week but treat myself to something on week ends if I feel like it.

Thanks again for you help !

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

OK. This is about three months into the training regime.

I think you are still building up your general fitness and your badminton specific fitness. The leg tiredness is normal.

As for the split step, try videoing yourself and slow motion the movement. Many people do not land the feet on the ground at the same time nor bend their knees. If you don't bend your knees, you cannot use your quadriceps to aid movement.

You can consider eating a bit more straight after exercise. It is said people take their shakes/protein supplements within one hour after finishing exercise.

rulebavaria likes this.
  12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Normally you should use fast protein like Whey directly after exercise. Eat 1 hour after exercise. In professional soccer you eat after a game directly a fast protein and a moderate complex carb snack even before you shower. It's important for regeneration.

I suggest @rulebavaria that you should eat more after exercise, too. With 2 bananas I couldn't go to sleep. I often make a salat with kidney beans, beet root, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, spring onions and fill it in tortilla wraps or rice paper with some spicey Ajvar and cottage cheese. Yummy. Don't take much time. I normally drink my whey in the hall direct after training/playing, cool down by cycling home slowly, shower and eat 1-2 wraps and drink my low fat quark, magnesium, berry shake or a Bitburger 0,0 or an Erdinger Alkoholfrei. If you are really in hurry, you can keep cooked wholegrain noodles with pesto rosso and cottage cheese in the fridge and put it for a few minutes in the microwave when you shower. It's not Alfons Schuhbeck like but I think you also arrive home at 10 pm like me on training days and every minute is important. :)

rulebavaria and Cheung like this.
  13. rulebavaria

@Cheung: Thank you. Yes i guess I'm not fit enough and my body is still getting in shape. I hope the tiredness will pass with time. As for the split step I will video myself as soon as i can and share it with you guys. It's probably true that I don't bend my knees. Not sure if it's a mental issue (need to force myself) or a physical one (not enough leg strength). Maybe both !

@ucantseeme: Danke. Usually I have dinner pretty early, around three hours before training. That's why I don't eat much after the workout. But I will try eating and drinking a bit more. I'm not big on whey but I will start drinking natural protein shakes (peanut butter, banana, soja joghurt) and eating something more consistent after training as well. I have already bought a sixpack of Erdinger alkoholfrei to start the week well. ;)

ucantseeme likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

@rulebavaria

Cheese is definitely an option in the evenings. It's mostly casein, which is slow release. Muscle rebuilding also occurs at night when you sleep.

rulebavaria likes this.
  15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You are vegan or have problems with dairy products? Maybe I can share some recipes with you, because I'm vegetarian. I normally skip the dinner. Eat a good lunch and start with a cereal bar and an apple into training/club night and have my real dinner after that.

rulebavaria likes this.
  16. rulebavaria

I am pescetarian but since my girlfriend is vegetarian I eat lots of vegetarian-specific food and avoid dairy products as much as I can.

I don't have a real lunch break and only eat a light meal at my desk. That's why I have dinner before going to training. But I will try it your way for a week or so. Maybe it will benefit my regeneration.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's very individual. I absolutely need to eat something beforehand for badminton.

Funnily enough, it doesn't affect me so much for other sports .. Perhaps because my level is not very competitive in those other sports.

rulebavaria likes this.
  18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    It also depends what you eat and how you digest, when you eat and when you train. There are also so many different diets out there. After the training the body and muscles are craving for carbs and protein. So I plan to eat afterwards, and risk to train on reserves. I normally feel quicker and full energy if I had carbs in morning and lunch and nothing before.

@rulebavaria If you go vegan it's very tough to get many proteins in a natural way. Without low-fat quark I would half my proteins. This are 60g per day. Beans and lentils were great if they don't make the strange noises afterwards. ;) I eat tofu everyday (Rewe Bio), which is extra firm and has 16,7g/100g Protein. Likemeat is also great if you have a Kaufland. It's expensive but very fast to make a delicious Protein-Snack.

rulebavaria likes this.
  19. lurker

lurker Regular Member

just sharing my recent experience here
    been using a powerball nearly on a daily basis for the past month or so...

not sure if it's a placebo effect or not, but my shuttle control and smash power got some noticeable difference.
    noted by my regular social players and myself

ucantseeme and DarkHiatus like this.
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

I find grip strengtheners better than powerball.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.