Chen Qingchen陈清晨/Jia Yifan贾一凡

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The newly crowned Women's Doubles World Champion 2017 in their maiden attempt for the two 20-year-olds deserves a thread of their own so that we can discuss them as a pair and not only individually, as in the case of Chen Qingchen who has a thread of her own.

Chen Qingchen, born 23rd June 1997, height 1.64m (5 ft 5 in),right handedness, at Xingning, Guangdong, China.

Jia Yifan, born 29th June 1997, height 1.70m (5 ft 7 in), left handedness, at Tianjin,China.

This WD pair is in for the long haul, winning the world championship for the first time is only just the beginning. Jiayou 加油!

#1 Justin L, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Reminds me of ZYL/TQ. Chen is very much gonna be the next ZYL who'll dominate WD and XD. Likewise JYF's like TQ, both underrated and can always carry the team if the other is having a bad game. The problem, which I hope won't happen, is that this young team will go down the same road as ZYL/TQ.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20170828/000304.htm

At the post-match press conference after the victory ceremony, Jia Yifan alone was interviewed by the reporters as Chen Qingchen had to prepare for her XD final later. She started off by apologising for keeping the reporters waiting and that she's not acting like a big shot, it's just that she realized she had forgotten to change out of her soaked uniform on the way to the interview area and so ran back to have it changed before coming over.

Upon winning the world title, she was moved to tears; at the flag-raising ceremony, she still couldn't hold back her tears; again during the interview she teared up emotionally. Jia Yifan explained she was simply overwhelmed by it: " After all, CHN WD is at present not in a good state, we've all put in great effort, therefore, it's not been easy, so I cried."

During the systematic training period at Chengdu, the CHN WD underwent arduous training. Based on their expert analysis, they discovered the CHN WD as a whole are physically not up to par, their basic skills also not quite good, that's why WD coach , Pan Li, kept up a meticulous approach to resolving all the players' problems.

At 30 degrees celsius, the young ladies stood barefoot in the sandboxes to train their lower body strength, in just one session of such training, with the sand splattered on the ladies' lower legs, their sweat dripping onto the sand. That's how the women's doubles players finished their training before the commencement of the world championships.

Leaving the playing arena, Jia Yifan felt a growing sense of tranquility:" I feel that this championship is just a title, everything still has to start from zero, we are still inferior in some aspects to others, I will not stop working hard just because of one championship. This is only our first step to success, I will work even harder." As usual, Jia Yifan gave a candid opinion, at the moment the level of CHN WD is not first or second best, it can only be considered as upper-middle standard, so we have to keep our mentality steady.

Feeling tired after yesterday night's match (semifinals), Jia Yifan was not the least bit nervous or excited as not able to get to sleep for today's (Final) match. For the match today, all she thought of is to turn the medal into gold: " Not bad, we are quite lucky, Heaven has blessed us."

buibui2 and GingerCorslette like this.
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Sometimes I feel its JiaYiFan that has been carrying this pair.

There is nothing special about Chen, she doesnt have strong legs. Is she better than BaoYixin? I dont think so. She just had the opportunities. and when ZhengSiwei is talking to her at the end of second game against Ahmad/Natsir, she just ignores him. That explained them got into 1-11 in the third. Comeon, she got the chances to play two matches and make more money, but then she wont listen to the person who is playing behind her and spend more energy than her... Hmmm?

5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

well, the world championship doesnt give money award actually

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Qingchen's split with Zheng Siwei in XD is not temporary, it seems, according to this article http://sports.qq.com/a/20171008/027085.htm (below is my interpretation and rough translation)

For the time being, CQC will be playing only WD with Jia Yifan from the CHN Open PSS next month, no XD for her.

At the Glasgow WC, CQC partnering Jia Yifan captured the WC crown but failed to do the same in Xd with Zheng Siwei. In the author's opinion, it can be seen that CQC was fatigued and her fitness was severely tested as doing double duty has certainly taken a toll on her.

Similarly, at the Chinese National Games last month, CQC who again was doing double duty in WD and XD, failed to win the WD title with Jia Yifan, losing to the twins Luo sisters, Luo Ying and Luo Yu. A tough three-setter for the 20-year-old iron girl, Chen Qingchen, is draining for her and it's difficult for her to perform at her best.

Such a double duty outcome in the finals, winning one and losing the other time and again, has also caused the national coaching team to seriously reconsider the necessity of letting CQC do double duty. We can't help but say that, obviously, at her current stage based on the few crucial tests, she is not at the same level as Gao Ling and Zhao Yunlei in double duty performance.

Rather than always seeing her suffer bittersweet ordeals in the crucial tests at the finals of competition, why not liberate CQC and let her specialize in one discipline for greater accomplishments first, then make a decision in the future. New blood inevitably requires time to be put to the test in order to mature. Regardless of double duty or specialization, it's better to find out what one is good at or suitable for, establish an invincible position in the world, only then does one do right by oneself and the team in the best performance. Doing double duty is to any athlete a severe challenge, often it's not that you don't want to win, rather after being drained, merely relying on willpower to hang on is simply not practical.

As a result, after the CNG and in the first year of the new cycle, CBA is embarking on a thorough and decisive major reshuffling and reorganization in doubles. By making use of this period to search and explore for the best combinations, it is to be hoped that trying out new pairings may produce new discoveries.

Thumbs up to CBA for undergoing such a big revamp, after all, to emerge from a difficult situation takes a lot more time and space for the new players and pairs to grow and develop. Attempting such a renewal is not to deny the past, rather it is to strive for greater opportunities and possibilities for the future. Only change is the hard truth.

7. Master

Master Regular Member

Jia Yifan will start playing WD with Huang Dongping at Macau GPG.

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

It is amusing that Jia Yifan apparently uses right hand for writing!!

#8 stanleyfm, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  9. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist

''I better stop now'' haha. I love this quick profile videos. This pair are funny to see off court as well especially the time when receiving their awards thinking their was only one cup/trophy didnt want to let go.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2018-02-18/doc-ifyrswmt9568243.shtml

In the eyes of most people, WD World Champion, Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan, appear as a lively and cute pair but in fact their journey to badminton is one of pure chance and coincidence. Both of them were recently featured in the BWF TV regular segment where they talked about their badminton exploits.

When Jia Yifan was five she passed by a badminton store on the way to the dentist, what she saw aroused the curiosity of her childish mind, and it was the storekeeper who introduced her a badminton coach. Chen Qingchen's initiation to badminton actually began when she joined her grandma to play the game downstairs. Both felt that's how they incomprehensibly embarked on the path of professional badminton. Jia Yifan used to like the arts more, fond of singing and dancing. Chen Qingchen's childhood dream is to become a police officer, talking of which, Jia Yifan pretended to mock her teammate by exposing that Chen Qingchen is actually a timid person.

[ I'm skipping the next two paragraphs, one where they expressed their gratitude to their coaches for their accomplishments so far, and the other relating to when they each rose to fame - as they are well documented since I'm more interested in other fun factlets - Justin L]

The two are not only comrades-in-arms on court, in private they are also close friends, and Jia Yifan believed that's because both of them have gentle dispositions that enabled them to get along well with each other easily.

Chen Qingchen likes singing,and singer Li Keqing,who is also a badminton enthusiast, is her idol. And Jia Yifan is actually a K-wave fan, she's even teaching herself Korean.

Cheung likes this.
  11. Dragon88

Dragon88 Regular Member

Last year was a very successful year for them, with the championship at: 02 GRAND PRIX GOLD, 01 WORLD SUPERSERIES, 02 SUPERSERIES PREMIER and TOTAL BWF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

So they are currently the # 1 spot on the badminton world rankings

12. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Kinda sums up their final match in Malaysia Open 2018

IMG_8929.jpg

Michael V likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Congratulations to Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan for lifting the Asian Games 2018 champions trophy in Women's Doubles.

Well-deserving of the WD gold, given the way they played and won all their matches in the individual event. After their disappointment in the team event the week before, losing to the JPN pair, Fukushima/Hirota, it was sweet revenge when they met again in the semifinals of the individual event, this time overpowering their WR1 opponents comprehensively by the score of 21-17 and 21-8 !

Then they followed it up by another stirring victory over another formidable JPN pair Matsutomo/Takahashi, in the final title bout, a close,hard-fought match of the highest quality , winning in two narrow straight sets, 22-20 identical score, to clinch the coveted WD gold.

14. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Welp no one's been here recently. Anyway, just so that it is said, I was listening to Morten's commentary yesterday and I totally agree that it is a very sad situation for Chen Qingchen this year. Last year, she was voted the Female Player of the Year, and the biggest money-earner, and now it turns out that she is in the losing end of the Chinese coaching team's gamble of splitting her and Zheng Siwei up, as it turns out that Jia Yifan is very inconsistent and injury-prone, and now ZSW/HYQ shine so so brightly atop the rankings and all the XD podiums.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes, it was all for ZSW/HYQ. Those left behind are struggling really bad and nobody cared about them.

It is sad to see Chen in almost every match I watch lately that she could not do much to cover her injured or inconsistent partner. I don't understand why the coaches have not tried pairing her with Zhang Nan while her WD is kind of not going anywhere and she has pretty much a lot of free time after all the early round exits. When Chen was paired with Zheng, they were both just two new players in the block. She would have benefit a lot more than LYH with ZN right now. We know that ZN isn't allowed to do double duties and his XD is pretty much a mentoring part time job assigned to him by their coaches. Why not use it for someone else who needs it more?

And it really frustrates me to see LYH has still not shown as much improvement (if any) as expected after all this time. Though I admit I didn't really follow DY/LYH to have a say whether or not her performance in WD has improved.

stanleyfm and Michael V like this.
  16. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

I feel that next year will be a totally different year once Korea gears up again in the mixed. Seo Seung Jae/Chae Yujung is just one of the pairs gaining attention so far. ZSW/HYQ might not even dominate next year, considering it will be competitive because of Olympic qualification.

Anyway back to CQC, really sad though as she (and TYT) was the biggest buzz at that 2016 Uber Cup and now she's barely felt. Wasted talents I must say.

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Wasting talents seems to be the CHN team's specialty. They have plenty talents but have no clue whatsoever on how to manage them.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I too think Chen Qingchen can do better in XD than WD. Unfortunately she was split with Zheng Siwei who partnered Huang Yaqiong , which, admittedly, turned out to be the right decision by the coaches as far as the sterling results showed in comparison.

Still, maybe CQC needs a new partner in XD, except that CHN WD is in limbo as they are still without a crack pair consistently in the top 2/3.

19. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

CQC can partner with ZN... :D

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Congratulations to Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan for clinching the All England'19 WD trophy, it couldn't have come at a better time when CHN WD has been in the doldrums for about 16 months already and just before the start of the OG qualification cycle, another heatening result following on the success of Du Yue/Li Yinhui's fine victory at the German Open the previous week.

It is to be hoped that these two extraordinary results finally signals a resurgence and, possibly, the restoration of CHN dominance in WD.

#20 Justin L, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019