[New Video] Haribito Professional Pattern - plus added modification!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 20, 2018.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's my point. If you want to be on the safe side, you would have to count the mains on every single racket. And who wants to do that every time?! At least I don't.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Crosses, not mains. Standard patterns have a standard nber of them though, I guess you would start remembering them after a while. It only matters if it's an even or uneven number, iirc most rackets should have an uneven number of crosses.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

ooops... of course I meant crosses. Note to myself: Don't write BC-posts while attending (boring) business meetings... :D

4. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst

I always start weaving the crosses on the long side with over first. Depending on the racket, I know by the number of crosses above the start of the long side crosses, i know whether to start under or over on the bottom cross on the "around the world" =D

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Question to the guru of side support placement (you!) - what would you think about moving the lower side supports down another hole on my current setup and pattern from the video? So they would sit right below the highest of the lower shared grommets.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Anywhere "past" the outermost shared holes is correct, in my book, and there's no real reason to "bias" them because it's neither top-down nor bottom-up.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So in other words, you would not go below the outermost lower shared hole and just leave it where it is. Okay, that's fine with me. :)

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Awesome tip by the way. Took the smallest ones I could find and it works like a charm! And since you can hold and pull them better with you fingers, you mostly don't need a clamp or pliers to unblock the covered holes. So I'm definitely going to throw away that piece of scrap string with the stripped end now! :D

emjay likes this.
  9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I first learnt the Haribito method from the owner of badmintonian.com and Kwun's video. It's the only method I use and I really like how it separates essentially the top crosses from the sweet spot crosses. I use it exclusively and only make minor changes dependent on different rackets as needed. I'm not a professionaly stringer so I don't have any concerns with needing to string as fast as possible, etc.

10. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Nice video.
    The outside looks really clean. I'll try to do this next time I string my racket.

One question though, when looking at the 3rd picture of your racket it seems there is an empty grommet with a string going over it but not thru it. What's the reason behind that?

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It only appears as if that hole is empty since there are two strings running exactly on top of each other. So don't mind, there is a string in each and every grommet.

endFX likes this.
  12. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Makes sense. Thx.
    Wouldn't guessed that they stay exactly on top of each other. But eventually the string on top will slip down after a few sessions of playing.

13. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

It is a nice patttern. I tried the Haribito pattern from the Kwun video briefly a long time ago and compared it with my usual 2PTD. I can't remember if the feeling was very different. However, in my experience the Haribito pattern lost its tension more quickly than the 2PTD. So since then I always go with the 2PTD 32/32 BG80. Can't have it any other way.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's the great thing about stringing - there are so many options and possibilities that you will hardly find two stringers who are doing the exact same thing.

Regarding tension loss, I don't see any reason why it should be higher with Haribito. You have less knots and less slack string running on the outside of the frame. I don't have any measured data though to give any comparison based on numbers. I judge the playability of my strings by feel alone and never measure pings after the initial measurement right after stringing. And IMO, the string itself is by far the biggest factor when it comes to tension retention (or better call it playability).

Kaelhdris likes this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Since I shot the OP video, I kept on experimenting with some modifications to the original pattern.

The goals:
    - neatest possible look with as little string as possible running on the outside of the frame
    - optimized process flow

I've come up with a version that so far seems to check both boxes for most standard rackets. But before disclosing more details about it, here is a first teaser to see what you guys think of it. ;)

Here's how it looks on a 76-hole 3+2 pattern (Voltric 80):
    IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2355.JPG IMG_2356.JPG

and on a 72-hole OSP racket:
    IMG_2374.jpg IMG_2375.jpg IMG_2376.jpg IMG_2377.jpg

So the longest loop is skipping one hole only (except right before the tie-off at the top on the VT80...) which imo won't be possible to reduce any further. There are some improvements on the process flow which especially make the moments right after releasing the fixed strings smoother.

However, it doesn't turn out to be that neat for 76-hole 2+4 rackets like a JS10 cause it will have one loop skipping two holes there (it's only one hole with the original version), but still there are some minor improvements on the stringing flow.

What do you guys think? Are those pictures reason enough to dig deeper into that topic?

#35 s_mair, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    kaffars, Okaharu and endFX like this.
  16. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Looks nice and smooth to me.

Once had my racket strung at a local shop and he went from the 7th bottom cross directly to the tie off at B6. It was really ugly (but played alright after all...)
    Since then I really appreciate those patterns with less outside string.

I would be interested in the changes you applied.

17. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

It looks very neat ! Are you going short side to B10 for the bottom 2 crosses and long side to B11 and then all the way to the top ?

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I still wanted to stick to the basic idea of the original Haribito Professional pattern to start with the sweet spot crosses going downwards.

So here's what I did:
    - start identical to the normal Haribito Professional until the short side is fixed
    - long side then starts with the crosses at the same hole as before and only does 4 additional crosses downwards (so 14 crosses on that VT80 and 16 on a OSP racket), meaning you will end up one hole below the topmost lower shared hole, looking like this:
    VT80.jpg

- finish final main on the long side and fix it at 10 o'clock
    - short side finishes final main and then final 2 crosses at the bottom
    - long side finishes top crosses same as before
    *)

It improves the following things flow wise:
    - you have a bigger batch of crosses in one go (that wouldn't be a crucial thing though)
    - on my setup, it fixes an issue that came up when I started doing the final main on the long side before fixing it at 10 o'clock as suggested by @Kaelhdris. With the standard pattern, this caused me to have another scrap string at 8 o'clock which then later still ended up in some trouble with the side support being in the way.
    - last but almost most important, there won't be any clamps in the way when you have to thread the ugly shared holes at the bottom. Makes it very convenient to have more space to work in case you need it.

I will do some further testing and then there will be another videoshoot on my to do list I guess. Let's see if it will take another year to do it as last time. :D

*)
    EDIT: Make sure to adjust the lengths for short/long side accordingly!

#38 s_mair, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    endFX and kaffars like this.
  19. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    So for the long side you actually stop the crosses at the bottom in the same way as you started them (one hole next to the inner shared holes).
    I like how this makes it pretty symmetrical and convenient.

One more reason to go for it.:D

Looking forward to the video if you got the time for it.
    I find it really relaxing to watch someone string a badminton racket.;)

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sadly no. I start the crosses through the inner shared holes but end them one hole below at the bottom. Starting (and ending) one hole higher should be possible but I don't see an advantage there.