Zhang Nan ( 张楠 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Sep 6, 2016.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It was CHN's loss to let great players go. Like how they are about to waste another great player if they can't find a better solution for ZN this time. Or is it lost already? ZN should go to another country, maybe Australia? :p

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well not in the title accomplishment obviously, but in the physical and fitness form. Since you categorized these two as "not in best shape" pros:D

Yeah.. Zhang Nan:( I was expecting them (LC) to at least did much better this year. But not even close, except good winning rates in team event and (very) hard-earned Bronze WC. I can't imagine how I would feel if I were ZN.

3. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

yeah, but sadly now I can see that Zhang Nan technique and speed is not as good as what he used to be, his unforced errors rate seems higher nowadays

4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

That is because he got used to do a lot more than he is asked for. I think he is becoming more like Kevin, taking chances often, to cover his partners and to try to get winners as quick as possible. It's not easy to keep doing that all the time and make no mistakes (when he has to do so in both XD and MD). Even Kevin makes so many mistakes before scoring winners, but fortunately he has Markus (is his name Marcus or Markus by the way?) to keep the game going. Zhang Nan has nobody to rely on but himself :(:(

5. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

yes, but regardless, even if Zhang Nan doesnt win anything anymore in the future, I think he still should be satisfied with what he has achieved, he has won a lot of major titles in his career

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Won major but dont win money whats the point. If he is happy, he wouldnt have complained so much in weibo. He is clearly unhappy.

If its me i will also be unhappy. only win 1 title/ year..cant make anything. If he is WC, why cant he leverage into more money? And if he has more money, dont think he will be unsatisfied.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not everybody is obsessed with money the way you are. Most pro athletes are most concerned with winning, and winning the important titles, money is secondary to that for almost all of them. If you go into badminton for the money, you are not an intelligent person......:D
    Anyway, I'm fairly certain ZN's complaints are not because of money. Pretty sure he is dissatisfied with his partnership's performance. His bank account should be quite healthy, should've gotten a lot of advertisements after the Olympic medals.....and the WC ones....:D

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Probably. These days money talk whether you like it or not. Thats why bwf change the system.

9. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Really? He might has earned more money than the minions with his 3 Olympics medals only:
    http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2012londonolympics/2012-08/03/content_26112471.htm
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-rake-in-london-rewards-idUSBRE88002R20120901

And his XD partnership with Zhao Yunlei was considered one of the most dominating one with more SS wins than the minions as well. His tournaments earnings are over $900,000 ( https://bwfbadminton.com/player/35357/zhang-nan ) and I don't count his WC and AG, AC medals...

10. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

I don't see anything in those articles that citing about ZN at all. What makes you think that ZN earned more money from Olympic rewards alone in compared to minions? :rolleyes:

#210 RoarRa, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

If titles, yes ZN has more prestigious titles and still have more overall titles but winning those title in 2010-2015 dont make much imo. WC and OG as well but i think its already in the past, I dont think he get paid that much winning those, unfortunately.

Compare to Kevin has much more fans, endorsements, bigger contract (these days), reward for winning yonex tournaments. So i can say in terms of money, i think Kevin is already richer than ZN. and you said 900,000. Only 900,000 for winning so many XD? at least Minions reach that mark with half the titles that they won. Its still not much but obviously much better in terms on inflation this years compared to the past, so not just nominal.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

There wasn't anything about LD either in that article. Are you certain that he earned less than the minions too?
    Not to mention ZN got paid a lot paying CBL in many years too. He had been around and winning since 2010 or 2011 while minions just started their earnings since 2016.

And it doesn't matter. Even Kevin mentioned ZN as one of the player who inspired him which is obviously not because of his earnings but more because he had won Gold medals in WC, OG and AG with different partners.

wade likes this.
  13. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

I was questioning whether he got any sources to back up that ZN earned more money from Olympic rewards alone in compared to minions claim.

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

In that post he said Zhang Nan MIGHT have earned. Well if you read how much Li Xuerui was getting from one gold medal in London, you can only imagine how much ZN was getting from 1 gold medal in 2012 and 1 gold 1 bronze medals in 2016.
    To be fair, it's not easy to compare ZN (one half) to minions (one full pair).

15. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Still, I dont think that all rewards ZN earned from Olympic alone was way bigger than all money that minions have been earned combined as he claimed.
    All rewards that minions got from AG gold medal alone in 2018 was way bigger than those Owi/Butet earned from Olympic gold medal back in 2016.

#215 RoarRa, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  16. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

We cannot forget that China count for 1,4 billion people on earth and became a target market for basically all big brands in the word. China alone give a reward of $55,000~$70,000 + 1kg of gold + lifetime pension for a total valued from $80,000 to $150,000 for every Olympics gold medals back in 2004!

Also as per written on numerous articles, athletes are receiving big gifts from companies for their Olympics success, Audi has been giving them free car, real estate developers free apartments/villas... etc. ZN is not directly mentioned but others made over $1,000,000 out of their 1 gold medal. ZN has 2 gold and 1 bronze. Badminton is also one of the most popular sport in China. So, yes indeed, for me it is easily possible that ZN made more money than Kevin out of his 3 Olympics medals.

More sources:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...al-winners-riches-life--Russians-Koreans.html
    http://factsanddetails.com/china/cat12/sub79/item1014.html

BTW, if LCW would have won 1 gold medal, I even think he could have surpassed Kevin with just 1 medal. Malaysia only is rewarding $240,000 per gold medal + lifetime pension and gifts from companies would have been raining like crazy. Even Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong both received free apartment, etc., after their silver medal...

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Enlighten me. What exactly did the bwf do because 'money talk'?

18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think its right that CHN gives a lot money and everything but that was 2008 OG when they won most gold. That Olympic is more remembered as LiuXiang pulled out of the race afraid that he will finish last.

It hasnt been like that for 2012/2016OG.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What are you ON about....that doesn't make sense whatsoever. Are you trying to say that the whole 2008 Olympics are associated just with that moment? Because that's nonsense. Almost as wrong is your statement that he pulled out because he was afraid to lose, he was actually injured.....do you just lie through your teeth or are you perpetually misinformed?

gelopisan likes this.
  20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Liu/Zhang won't be playing in the WTF, I suppose their rank will drop again next month.

Judging from the last two tournaments, it seemed that Zhang Nan was putting less effort in XD and focusing more on the MD. Though didn't do too well in Hong Kong Open despite managing to reach Semifinal in Fuzhou.

Honestly I just hope that Zhang Nan would get to try partnering someone else even though they have to start from the scratch. It would be up to the coaches, I supposed. But this year had been a bad year for him all year long, and even I got fed up by his partners both in XD and MD just by watching. LC had been given many chances all year to prove himself as one of the top and I must say he had failed to do so most of the time.