Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes.. I get it with 4.

But I can't imagine having 5 or 6 players would be any better?

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    It's all about balance. 5-6 would be completely ineffective. Why? Simple logic. No space to move on the court. Everyone will get in each others way because there's no room to move. Who can cover the smash angles? Your mid court guy will be blocking the rear court guys who are suppose to be on defence.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I see, yes, that answered my question on whether the more the better. So 4 is the maximum and also the best number for the training to be more effective.

4. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

He should be... I think maybe better than the other candidates. At least KSS has result to show.. :p

5. wade

wade Regular Member

Hmmm...I wonder why herry ip only use 3 players and not 4 ? there must be some consideration isn't it ? afterall he's the most experienced coach in MD.

6. esppy

esppy Regular Member

If I may... if you’ve seen the 3v1 vid of LCW back then, I infer it as having 2 at the rear, the player does not need to do much footwork to get into position for a jump smash. Both sides are 1, at most 2 small steps to getting in position to jump or take the shuttle in front of them.

While for the net, the person can just forehand intercept, block, or brush the shuttle for a tight netshot. He only needs to strafe left or right and switch between forehand and backhand to execute the shot, and there is no need for 2 to be ready at the net since arm+ racket + 1/2 steps gets the body to the shuttle anyway... moreover, if having 2 person at the net, a racket clash and center shot confusion is way more likely.

Hence 3 seems to be the best idea, imo.

MezzL, Saru, ramkrishr and 2 others like this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Goodness, that serve....no way that racket pointed downwards :D

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

3 is very common, allowing the back court players to share the load of playing hard smashes and eliminating their need to move sideways a lot, while 2 at the front is more likely to be a hindrance (confusion in the middle)...4 is also possible, but I've never seen it. 3v1 is also very common in singles drills.

wade likes this.
  9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    having 2 players in the front is pointless because it does not replicate real world situations.

having 2 players in the front means a defender is always sitting right on top of a drop shot & net drop attempt, thereby making it impossible for the offensive player to recover and retrieve its reply. all drop shot attempts would be killed instantly since someone is at the net waiting for it 100% of the time. that doesn't happen during a normal rally.

2 players in the back still allows time for the offense to set up their defense from a lift like a normal rally.

wade likes this.
  10. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

11. minions

minions Regular Member

Indonesian peoples should know how to comment wisely. But, sadly, most of them only see and hear what's coming to them and quickly make judgement. Marcus had a bad luck in the past few years. But, with his persistence and hard working attitude, he finally found his place. That's why PBSI wanted to call him back and paired him with Kevin. The rest is history.

For all of Indonesian peoples, THINK before making the judgement. Don't just react wildly. Instead of making negative comment, try to think positively. Negative comments from them are one of the factor that make Indonesian athletes' mentality down. Oh, yeah, there is one thing that is important. DO NOT write any Indonesian athletes off. We already know about Marcus' story as stated above. Heck, even Kevin was once unwanted by the coaches back when he is a child. The link is here. Last year, Fajar/Rian were criticized left and right, had been labeled as mediocre pairs. But, look at them now, they can seriously challenge the top pairs here and there, including minions themselves.

12. Master

Master Regular Member

"racket pointed downwards" doesn't apply anymore with the fixed height rule.;)

wade likes this.
  13. wade

wade Regular Member

Yeah, and even if the rule are still there it's not the worst I've seen either. fu serve at the all england 2016 were probably even worse :D

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

That's just the reality of how harsh and how tough the life and the competitiveness of the athletes who are in the national team. It happens to probably most of the athletes.

Coaches are experienced people, they train the players not only physically but also mentally. I don't think they actually "punish" their players without any reasons. Knowing Marcus' personality, I am almost sure that he was in the wrong too to get the coaches lost faith in him or so he had thought at that time. Marcus didn't trust the coaches and actually thought he was isolated or being punished. If you were the coaches, would you like having your players questioning your decisions or even telling you what to do?
    They don't have the luxury of time to accommodate every single player to bloom eventually. Only if the coaches thought the players making progress and worth it, then they will invest their time and effort. They are not being mean, it's their job.

You should remember that Marcus or anyone else wouldn't have been what they are now without all the hard time they had in the past. It's a process that anyone need to endure in order to develop and grow stronger. If they couldn't handle criticism, how would they improve? If Marcus hadn't quit the national team, then got scouted and guided by Markis Kido, he would probably have been just another half of mediocre pair until now.

So what if he had a tough time, look at what he has become now. Nothing to be sad about. It's life. :)

stanleyfm, samkool and mantoufist like this.
  15. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

While I agree that marcus probably was in the wrong too but I get his frustation though, I think this was more on the coach. probably should communicate better. but who cares now anyway.

16. Master

Master Regular Member

@yuquall They've been registered in Malaysia Masters

yuquall likes this.
  17. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

I don't see any reason why berry/hardi and wahyu/ade are still being paired, they're going nowhere. btw minions didn't play in malaysia masters this year right ?

#2097 MezzL, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. mantoufist

mantoufist Regular Member

Hearing about players from other countries/sectors being more picky about the tournaments they want to play in 2019 to prepare for OG makes me hope the Minions too can be selective about it since they pretty much only have WBC and OG left to prove themselves but alas... :( please PBSI

wade likes this.
  19. wade

wade Regular Member

Yes please :D honestly I don't really care about anything other than BWC next year, hopefully they could deliver :D

stanleyfm and mantoufist like this.
  20. Master

Master Regular Member

Correct! They skipped Malaysia Master this year.

PBSI surely would give selective tournaments for their elite players & pairs. But still, the top pair have minimum amount of tournament as per BWF rules stated.