Misaki Matsutomo ( 松友美佐紀 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I think her smashes are actually very underrated. They don't have a lot of power, but they are varied, hard to read and she scores quite a few winners with them, especially the cross court ones from her backhand corner to the opponent's.

@j_koh Do you think she's really not "working" on that, meaning she's basically lazing about in training? :D
    I'd wager they actually "work" on this way too much and make it worse in the process. This is clearly a mental issue and a case for a sport psychologist rather than something to fix on court. If you meant that, I agree. She should work on it, should've worked on it for quite some time, in fact.

Michael V likes this.
  2. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Yeah, I meant when they are in a losing situation. Like when they're a game down and not playing well in the second game (or third if three games). Like the last time they lost to YF/SH. In the third game. The televised one. I think that was in the Indonesia Open. As a fan, I can only guess that they feel worse losing to fellow Japanese pairs.

As for Misaki's serves.. I'm not sure but I think it's her grip when serving? Surely I could find a still of that close-up somewhere...

Michael V likes this.
  3. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    There is psychological issue going on for sure but I also don't see her taking advantage of the new service rule.
    Finally She have a nice margin for placing the arms noticeably higher (even more than what Kevin Sanjaya is doing..).
    The body language is not only betraying their mental state but have also the side effect of giving more confidence to the opposite pair.

It seems this specific game element is triggering frustration within the duo ( A. Takahashi trying to cover the serve return more than she normally should) but considering the height disadvantage they must make peace with it.

Michael V likes this.
  4. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

Anyone care to do some translations of the video below?

yf19-sama likes this.
  5. GingerCorslette

The hell? They got eliminated? Anybody watch the match?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Like we said before above, their game has been decoded and neutralized by many pairs. Unless MM can improve her weaknesses, they're not going to do well.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

j_koh and yf19-sama like this.
  7. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

While I'm not surprised with the results (what visor said), it's a shame they didn't make it to at least QF stage.

Guess we just continue to watch some feature and interviews:

stanleyfm likes this.
  8. rachelwong.13

rachelwong.13 New Member

I wish there wasn't so much negativity here but I guess you guys are just trying to be 'realistic'.

Unfortunately they couldn't pull through in the World Championships but that doesn't mean they are suddenly bad players. I don't understand all these comments criticizing Misaki saying she has to work on her weaknesses. What, do you think she doesn't train and doesn't have coaches? Obviously to get to their level, they constantly work on what they lack.

When I watch their games, I constantly wish her serves would just fix themselves but just because she consistently errors her low serves, does not in any way mean she doesn't work hard on them. Don't depreciate other's people's hard work.

Anyway.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

We're not negative. We're giving constructive criticism and only because we care and want them to be better to be as good as they were before.

Anyways their play style has been decoded, especially by their own country's players, so they'll need to adapt and change if they want to succeed.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

j_koh likes this.
  10. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

Agree with visor, I'm personally a big fan of this duo but I think the constructive criticisms laid down so far are all valid; in fact I think the comments here have been far more objective than those said for other top players *cough* Lin Dan *cough*

I'm sure they're continuously working to improve (as are all top athletes) but it is also a fact that contenders have seen through their style and able to break that down- so either they work up a new strategy or continue to experience defeat.

Cheung and visor like this.
  11. GingerCorslette

I think most top pairs, even more fellow Japanese pairs, have studied them by now. Also, I notice that MM has the better racket skills; AY has power and defence.

Most pairs would exploit lifting to Ayaka's long forehand corner - she definitely will go straight - and counter that with a fast cross.

MM, apart from inconsistent serves, has had trouble with this net-height backhand shots.

12. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Very disappointing European tour results from TakaMatsu. Here I was thinking that their form in China and Korea will take them through to the World Tour Finals and yet it seems they’re gonna slug it out til the very end (in India). The match against the Stoevas wasn’t on TV court so it’s difficult to assess how they really performed (21-8 and straight games is stupidly bad though to a pair they never even lost to before). Trying to also think if perhaps this is a strategical loss so that they will come out in full force during the last leg of the tour. Maybe just my hopeful wishing. Anyway still hoping they make it to the World Tour Finals. Their participation in India should seal that deal.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  13. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Yeah, I thought they were the pair to beat now, but you can't win them all. Is it already confirmed that nobody (especially Fukuhiro) is participating in the Korea Open? Because I'd be sooooo mad if I was Fukuhiro, basically win the Race to Guangzhou and then be surpassed by Takamatsu playing a lower grade tournament in India.

While I'm writing this, I'm realizing that Takamatsu weren't participating in the German Open. If they play Syed Modi, both pairs would have 1 300 tournament this year and it would actually be a fair competition.

Michael V likes this.
  14. vinnino

vinnino Regular Member

Still not fair. FukuHiro didn't participated in Indonesia Masters while TakaMatsu be the champion in there.

15. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Isn't there still Fuzhou to get more points?

16. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Yup. No JPN players at the Korea Masters. Technically it all evens out as you say since this will be Takamatsu’s only S300 this year. Yes, FukuHiro didn’t play MAS or INA Masters, I forget which one, but that was their choice. Similar to last year when TakaMatsu not playing IND Open cost them the Dubai qualification.

17. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

They are still playing by the rules so by definition this is totally fair. If FukuHiro wants to consolidate their place at the top of the Race to Guangzhou rankings then they should’ve also entered into the Syed Modi or even the Korea Masters. Technically they can still qualify even if they don’t play in India and Korea if TakaMatsu mess up their next 3 tournaments real bad... (which won’t happen).

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    park joo-bong and coaching staff decide which tournaments they play in. it is out of the players control.

19. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

I think TakaMatsu needs to learn to develop their games more in slow hall. It was showed that it's not their favorite by losing in Japan, Denmark and now French Open. I think that they prefer fast exchanges, attacking games like how they played in China and Korea where they are much faster halls. I know sometimes we expect a lot from them, they won 4 titles & 3 runner-up this year, which is quite remarkable already. I think it's just because I am just one of their supporters who hope that they can be qualified for Tokyo 2020 due to the fierce competition for Japanese WD spots in Olympics games, and they need to win more tournament in order to achieve that.

Michael V likes this.
  20. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

It has been a great year for Misaki & Ayaka! Earning 5 world tour titles including the Final World Tour & took part in 8 finals out of 17 this year.
    What I am amazed by Misaki is that she keeps learning and improving her games so much with surprising cross-court blocks and great angle smash (although not too powerful but with great angle). This pair seems to win more rallies out of their favorite format, Ayaka looks much sharper in front of the court and Misaki has improved her skills in the back of the court. Please keep it up!!!
    Happy New Year everyone :p:p:p!!!

Michael V and minions like this.