[VIDEO] Singles Progression

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Feb 14, 2017.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Indeed, most of my last tournament I had the main goals of trying to make sure I did not play a "stupid" shot e.g. smash whilst falling backwards, and trying to play out the rallies I.e. being able to clear from any position. The balance ended up being too passive with too many lifts/clears this time round.

In terms of cost...a tournament costs £16-18 here which includes shuttles, coaching is £25-30 +court costs. A court costs £15ph in London to book, £9 in Manchester, and you can factor in 3-6 shuttles per hour which is ~£5-10. Travel is similar between private court bookings or tournaments, and if you factor in tourism, the tournament is a bonus.

What I mean to say, is the cost is fairly comparable - the tournaments aren't run to maximise profit after all.

Just comes down to what you want to get out of your tournament, which is equally applicable when you turn up to training, coaching, social games, club/league matches. Changing your focus between winning/having fun/improvement will significantly change what you put in, and what you get out of your sessions.

I mean, there are people who play in open international series tournaments in order to gain ranking points well in excess of the Bronze winner points, after being knocked out immediately. They can gain a very high ranking that is not representative of their playing ability, but if this is what they enjoy, then at least they are getting what they're after.

#541 DarkHiatus, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  2. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I'm actually still with you on the tournament thing. I don't care if it pegs me as a less experienced player. ;) Tournaments are for more than just playing and I know from experience myself I get a lot of value out of them, even when I have no hope at winning. But you need to be in a psychologically good place to do that. If you are easily discouraged or feel embarrassed losing, then tournaments might be too much until you improve. But it sounds like that isn't the case and you are getting something out of the tournament, so I say go for it.

I've kinda noticed on these boards that once someone comes up with one opinion, people pile on the same opinion freely and not many people offer something different (too shy? Don't want to sound stupid?) That's maybe why everyone is just focusing on your O/H shots these days and not the other aspects like before. You just gotta trust yourself and your method. Since I've started my vlog, Ive gotten a ton of emails from people offering up suggestions. Literally on the same day I got an email from one "top player in XX country" saying my string tension was "obviously too low" and then a top player from XX country saying my string tension "is obviously too high." "Expert" opinions derived from the same video on the same day! I could only laugh.

So take the comments that ring true with you seriously, and filter out the rest. You don't need to defend yourself or your actions (ie: doing tournaments, keeping your coach) to us. Do what feels right to you and keep plugging away. While many people are criticizing your game play, everyone seems to be saying you have improved a lot from the past. So ultimately you are on the right path and know the right way, even if it takes longer then other people expect/want.

DarkHiatus and LenaicM like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's to be expected, right? You were using the tournament as training and not to win. I looked at the video and to be honest, I felt your body posture and movement looked more natural and better. So in my book, you achieved and had a better learning experience. You got better practice at keeping your lifts and clears in though the technique needs reenginering. That's better than some of the other tournaments where you were running around like a frenzied mouse on steroids trying to score as many points as possible.

I do want to clarify that I felt stopping the high level tournaments for a while would be beneficial. Playing lower level tournaments which will be slower paced and that gives you a bit more time to think would be ok.

BTW, since lifts and defence are very basic shots, it looks like your thumb position is slightly off on the forecourt backhand (inefficient) and backhand block defence (causes shuttle to pop up high over the net).

DarkHiatus likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Far less than I expected over the course of a year given his motivation and access to coaching.

Maybe we move at different levels. If it were me, I would be disappointed not to be playing better.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I don't recommend it much for overhead shots, but go and get a weighted racket for doing your drills. Get a racket where your current technique won't work to practise. If you go and get a 150g racket, you won't generate sufficient power with your current swing, and maybe that'll give you the immediate feedback needed to improve that overhead.

LenaicM and Cheung like this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

@MSeeley is on the money. Watch this video and break down to basics your forehand overhead stroke. Start from scratch again. You really need to get side on first if you want to involve your trunk and core muscles.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

endFX likes this.
  7. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Ouch! Pretty harsh. Aren't we all disappointed not to be playing better regardless of our improvement and our level?

But we need to remember that everyone progresses at their own pace, and if he is doing everything correctly, and giving his full attention, then it is what it is and he shouldn't be made to feel bad about not progressing at the same speed as you or someone else would.

Feeling bad that you are going slower than others will only make you self conscious and self critical, neither of which are a good head space for improvement.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It's about breaking that cycle of non progression ;). After all, we are re-hashing the same issues.

9. DarkHiatus

I don't believe this is 100% true. We may be revisiting certain issues, but from as a different level of priority. We are certainly not repeating history. I mean look at this forum - I've visited page 200+ for curiosity before, and funnily enough, the forum has always talked about similar aspects as covered in this thread.

We spent a LONG time discussing strategy and how that would transform my game. We have also spent a long time discussing finger power and touch at the net for lifts/nets. We have spent a long time discussing overhead technique. We've spent a long time discussing footwork and posture in various guises.

Surely this is how improvement works. I'm sure professionals talk about the same things, but at different levels of priority and requirement. And as others have indicated before - if you change one aspect, another does not necessarily stay at the same level. It's likely to get worse and likely to require revisiting.

For example, have you noticed we haven't discussed pushing for a high contact point in a while? I don't take that to mean it is solved (we're even now discussing a related issue of keeping it more in line with my body than out to the side), but it is no longer the priority now as there are bigger fish to fry. 3 months later you may tell me I need to work on raising my contact point because it's now the limiting step (due to a different overhead technique/footwork/whatever), but I doubt the rest of my game would look like it did when we last talked about contact high point.

Anyway, my current play is probably the worst it has been for 3-6 months as the new overhead technique timing is completely different when I introduce footwork. I can currently standing smash/drop/clear with about 10% good contact, but throw in simple footwork and I'm <1%, because the timing of starting the stroke and contact point/timing is so different.

10. DarkHiatus

I actually use a 150g racquet for my footwork training normally (but not with any hitting). It feels better with the overhead strokes, but the movement is more difficult to mimic with light racquets because I can't feel the weight in the head as easily.

I've come from the TK9900 where the intention was that I needed to use correct technique to generate power. It failed in that I just ended up using zero finger/wrist power and 100% arm power. I then went to head light and finally even balance and find that I don't use arm/body enough.

I know the issues and I know my swing is incompatible with heavier racquets. If only it was as simple as just getting a heavier racquet :p

MSeeley likes this.
  11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It's a funny old game huh! I on the other hand can't play with light rackets at all because I can't feel them and I find that my technique morphs after a while and I lose all my power overhead. Such is life! Now I use Arc 11 - quite balanced with a touch of weight in the head which seems to be a good setup for me. Used to love using Voltric ZF etc but I lost the ability to play all my clipped smashes and drops. When you find a racket you like - treasure it! Good models are few and far between!

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Then you should give the 4U AX88D a try! Very similar but more powerful and great maneuverability and feel. There's good reason why so many pros are using it now.

MSeeley likes this.
  13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Haha - I will take on your recommendation in a few years when I have enough money and/or inclination to get some new rackets :D For now, the racket works, job done.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You’re like me, racquet manufacturers don’t get much profit from us.

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly! They used to but not anymore! All the experimentation made me realise I don't want to do that anymore! The rackets I loved broke and I couldn't replace them... it took me years to find the Arc 11!

And lets be honest - I'm a rusty player with a bad knee that sits in an office all day. Is the racket really going to help me? Not as much as 3 hours with a coach will! Or 12 hours with a coach given I prefer to have 4 of the same...

Cheung likes this.
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

Just try a mate's. It is a truly improved racket. The shaft and frame totally works synergisticically with your stroke. And yes, whether it's the NAMD or whatever, this racket does make a difference.

If there's a new racket from the myriads Yonex or Victor released in the past two years that you should try, this is it.

#556 visor, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    MSeeley likes this.
  17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Will see if any friends have one!

visor likes this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are the guy that kept nagging me to use 4U. I tried and I got rid of the racquets pretty quickly! ;)

Wasted my money :(

DarkHiatus likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... Uh oh... Which 4U racket did I recommend you try?

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think it wasn’t any particular model but that I should try 4U. I tried two different models from different manufacturers and did some training with coaches. After a number of hours on court with both racquets in games and training, I felt some difficulty with certain shots that didn’t compensate for the speed of the racquet. After talking with the coach, he said some racquets he himself didn’t quite get on with although other people might use them very well. He told me to use what was most comfortable and so I moved back to using ZFII 3UG5.

visor likes this.