International training opportunities/badminton camps

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Valxen, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Valxen

Valxen Regular Member

Advisor
    Hi all

I'm from the UK and was wondering if anyone knows of any training opportunities abroad ? Or can provide a review of a coaching camp they've been to?

I saw the Taufik Hidayat arena does a 30 day training package but was wondering if anywhere else does anything similar?

About me:
    I'm an intermediate player,play across several leagues at division 1/2 ,played for around 8 years and last 2 years have had weekly 1:1 coaching.

Thanks

phihag likes this.
  2. Kento

Kento Regular Member

From what you are asking, do I detect that you are unsatisfied by the level of 1:1 coaching you are receiving in the UK?

The reason I ask is because I am from London and was looking to start 1:1 coaching with a former professional player at £35 per hour. However, I have watched him training someone at my leisure club and I am not impressed at the pace of the training. It seems from viewing the session that he is trying to maximise his earnings by taking it very easy with the coaching and dragging it out.

3. Valxen

Valxen Regular Member

Advisor
    Oh no not at all. I would continue with my coach when I come back. I just want to try something different and have the experience of you g international and getting to explore whilst doing badminton

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

4. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I organize a week long training camp in China in the summer. The first one was last year and it went really well, so I'm gonna do it again this year. I haven't officially released the info yet (I will after new years sometime) but it will be held July 13-21st. You can go to this website to see what it includes (but without prices, as the price part I am working on, haha) http://www.badmintonbecky.com/badminton-training-camp-in-china/

You can see last years recap video here:

It's a mix of training and a little sightseeing (and eating lots of delicious Chinese food) because I have gotten a lot of emails over they years from people wanting to train in China like me but not knowing how to get started. Seeing as how I have a coach and courts, and literally teach students who are training to be English translators, I figured that I was in a good position to help spread the badminton love and help people come and train in china. Anyway, I'll be formally announcing it in a few weeks!

garchu, Cheung, speCulatius and 2 others like this.
  5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd suggest you need to think clearly your real objective. Is it to improve your playing level? Or to sight-see? Also, changing coaches could be tricky, as a different coach may teach/demand you do certainly thing differently.

I'd experienced this latter part first hand, both as a student myself, and as a parent of a junior. My kid had her regular coach(es) here in U.S. One summer I took her to Canada coached by LJB. When she returned, her regular coach(es) complained about something she learned over the summer.

6. Valxen

Valxen Regular Member

Advisor

It is to improve my playing level, after speaking with some players who went to the TH arena, they said there isnt much to sightsee and the training will be so demanding I will NEED to rest during the rest periods

I have discussed this with my coach (Paul Stewart) and his only concern was that the coaches will demand alot more physically from me, but for the most part he was supportive of the experience being coached abroad.

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd imagine there may be communications issues that could adversely impact your learning. Wouldn't UK itself have good intensive training camps? What about other EU countries, like Denmark (like Peter Gade's academy), Germany? These are English speaking countries, at least.

Would be nice if you could share with us your experience (pros and cons) afterward whether you would recommend others to do the same etc. This topic seems to come up from time to time.

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  9. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

100EUR per hour to be coached by Gade himself! Not bad at all :p

Not quite the full day for 7-14 days camp experience that the Asian countries offer. PG academy appears to be more long term (3+ months) training academy style.

Thanks for the interesting link though!

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Sadly, not anyone can join the PG Academy. You have to be already of a very good standard (ie competing regularly internationally) and have very deep pockets. If you are not capable of being very consistent in their sparring at a high pace then you wont be allowed to train.

There are various clubs in Denmark that you can join on a week/month basis at a fairly reasonable fee. Most also can provide a place for you to stay and have a proper program where you can train 8-11 times a week with high quality players.

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd think UK might already have good training camps around the country. Have you looked, but couldn't find, before you look outside of your country?

12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

There really aren't...badminton really isn't as popular/well-funded here as you might expect.

His coach, Paul Stewart, is one who runs an annual camp over a few days, so it's likely he would have been advised of other UK camps before being suggested to look abroad.

raymond likes this.
  13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

As @DarkHiatus said, there really doesn't exist any kind of intense training camp in the UK. Camps typically are only held maybe over a long weekend and a lot of the time the quality of the others attending is not high enough to push anybody who wishes to become a competitive player in national level tournaments let alone anything higher. These camps serve a purpose don't get me wrong - but if you really want to improve your level, then for a bit more money you can go abroad, it is more rewarding and you will find you improve more than at a UK camp. Just make sure you choose the right place for you!

raymond likes this.
  14. Valxen

Valxen Regular Member

Advisor
    I did look into the PG academy, however there are several drawbacks and constraints

1) 4000 Euros for a month not including accommodation or food etc is much more than I can afford. The TH package includes 3 meals a day and accomodation and airport transfer.

2) The Entry requirements seem to exclude my level at PG. I am going to a camp to increase my level. However I am not at the level required for PG. I am not a county player let alone a national.

3) The quality of attendees at the TH arena is high however it seems varied too. My concern would be me not being strong enough, I have discussed with my coach that over the next few months I would need to condition myself and improve my fitness to make the most of it.

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

It’s actually “only” €4000 for 3 months not 1, but yeah expensive and you wouldn’t be accepted. TH is probably a little more achievable for you, however (and I actually forgot about this earlier) but I would really recommend banthongyord academy in Bangkok. I have a few friends that have trained there and they are fairly accommodating to all different levels so long as you don’t mind sparring with kids. They have a real variety from U13 to Ratchanok and they have accommodation, and standard of living in Thailand is cheap for someone from the Uk. The training isn’t expensive either.

One point to note: if you do choose SE Asia as a place to train. Make sure you are physically conditioned in the best shape of your life. The humidity makes a session even more challenging than it normally would be never mind the intensity