hi-qua flying clamps for cross

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Kevin18, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

I have a tennis stringing machine prince neos 1000 with tennis clamps.

I checked the clamps against a badminton racket, guess they will work for mains without any problem, but for cross I need to buy some flying clamps (OEM bar clamp for badminton is quite expensive).

I am trying to decide between yonex or hi-qua flying clamp(s). Seems hi-qua is easier to use due to its larger size. But I am not sure if it is too big from cross since many ppl have both.

Any suggestions? Also will one be enough or I have to buy two?

Thanks.

2. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I have a ektelon, basically almost the same machine. I had the AEF flying clamp, very good clamp. MBS clamp, the big and black one(worst clamp) and now I use only the Yonex(the best for me). For cross one is enough. I have old badminton rail clamp. which holds the string super well. Sometimes I find it hold better than my prince 3000 swivel clamp...

Because how our 12 o'clock post is made, it takes so much space that you can't clamp the last string with the second last. You have to weave the last and come back at the second last. double pull(tension) the second last string, massage it to message resistance from the mains and tension. Repeast as much you need until you feel the last cross tension is pretty equal to the one tension. then you clamp with the 2nd and the 3rd last cross

I never use the tennis clamp for badminton, isn't it too big? have you try it? I can try it tonight to let you know. I have old frame and some scrap string that I can try tonight and let you know.

You can try gefen sport to buy some badminton rail clamp. it's not super expensive compare to the OEM one. You can also try eagnas. I think they have good price for that.

http://www.gefensports.co.uk/spares.html
    http://www.eagnasinc.com/maxgen1/pn7066.html

#2 fanfaron, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I use yonex 5 teeth and pros'pro 5 teeth (it's a good copy of the yonex, but still I prefer the yonex one). I have a 6 tooth pro's pro (look alike hi-qua) but I had issue with it so I don't use it anymore. (spring too soft ?). Easier to use means too soft spring, due to my experience.

4. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

Thanks for detailed reply. I tried my tennis clamps on badminton racket, it should work for mains since at that time there is no cross to interfere. But when it comes to cross, the distance between tooth is too wide to fit nicely.
    I heard eagans badminton bar clamp is not very good quality wise. I can get a pair of yonex or hi-qua flying clamps for about $40. Both are nice, only hi-qua has one more tooth, so I am wondering it that is ok for cross at the top end. Just need to decide which to get.

5. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

Thanks.
    Is the wider version of pro's pro clamp a good fit for cross especially at the end?
    I heard the quality of pro's pro is not as good as other brands such as yonex and hi-qua.

6. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

You might have trouble when clamping the last main. or the second last main. there's not a lot of space. That prince clamp is really big and heavy. when new that crazy clamp holds the string like nothing.

What you can do, try your clamp on a badminton racket if it fits. maybe it doesn't matter much to push the mains a little bit to make space for the clamp.

7. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I test it the tennis clamp into already strung racket for the mains it fits... I'm puzzled.

For the cross if you move two string it fits. Very puzzle wonder why I bought the badminton clamps...

8. Young Heinrich

Young Heinrich New Member

I love the Hi-Qua clamps. They don't harm the strings at all, but keep them firmly in position. High quality manufacturing, no tolerance. I ordered a pair directly in Hongkong, got them for about 40 £ incl. shipment cost. They are not the smallest ones, I agree, but its always possible to shift a string a little, to get the clamp into position. if a clamp would have the outer tooth very tiny, o.k., you come closer to the frame sometimes, but no effect, if this section of the clamp does not fix the string firmly. I even made the expierence of damaging a string with such a clamp. Since I use the Hi-Qua, this happened never again. 100% satisfied.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    If you really want to be fancy, you want to have different clamps for mains and cross. mains are closer together while cross are further apart, and they suit different clamp spacings.

Yonex flying clamp spacing is better for cross, while hiqua is better for mains.

However, since there is more leeway for the mains to wiggle, if i were to get one set of flying clamps, i will get one that has the same spacing as the Yonex ones. either original Yonex, or MBS also have ones that are similar to the Yonex spacing.

10. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

That is strange.
    Mine doesn't fit cross nicely. If I force it a little bit, there are usually 2 mains will get bent/squeezed a little bit.

11. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

So to clarify, you use Hi-Qua for cross stringing without any problem? I believe the tooth distance between Hi-Qua and Yonex are same, just it has one more tooth than yonex, thus wider.

12. Kevin18

Kevin18 New Member

I can use my tennis bar clamps for the main, therefore I am only interested in finding if Hi-Qua is too big for cross.

I believe Hi-Hua has same spacing as Yones, as shown in this video:
    . Only Hi-Qua has one more tooth, and each tooth has round-end instead of pointy end of Yonex.
    Do you think that will be a problem for cross?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the spacing are not the same. Hi-Qua is narrower matching main spacing, yonex is wider matching cross spacing.

the difference is not a lot. so it will work either way. I have used both exclusively or inter-mixed. it will work fine.

Young Heinrich likes this.
  14. Young Heinrich

Young Heinrich New Member

Exactly. And what I really like is the handling of the Hi-Qua. It fits to my fingers, its more a pro tool. The lever of the yonex clamp is smaller. I find it more ergonomic to work with the hi-qua. It happens, that in some positions you cannot use the very outer space for the last tooth, but well, does that matter? The little difference in tension will be compensated at the next position. Of course the smaller teeth of a yonex clamp are somehow easier to feed into, meanwhile you have sometimes to add some force to stick the Hi-Qua clamp into, but I never find that complicated, nor have the feeling to harm the string, as the edges of the clamp are not sharp. Intuitively I have switched to the Hi-Qua clamps, and don't use the Yonex clamps any longer.

kwun likes this.
  15. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Yes that's what I wrote, I have to squeeze two mains to fit. Maybe bending two mains doesn't do much wrong to the tension. I don't know...

But Still a hassle to squeeze all the time, there's 21 or 22 cross depending of the racket. You know about eagnas clamp for badminton, I think the quality cannot be bad. Those clamps are so simple. You cannot go wrong with that. I've string with flying clamp before. I really don't like it. the crosses are not straight.

I really recommend a rail bar clamp. for 40$... The prince one is better, but around 90$

16. flyingcords

This flying clamp seems to be perfect for badminton too, I'm I wrong ?

http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen2/pn3090.html#pn3090op

Or perhaps it's better to use no metal for badminton and use this one :

[​IMG]

Any info about the prices ? Do I need to ask them by mail or you can find those clamps on other shops in Europe ?

#16 flyingcords, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  17. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

The first link seems to fit tennis. Don't take the chance.

Look at stringers world web site they have some cool accessories.

Gefen web site has some interesting stuff

18. flyingcords

But look at the photos, it's a badminton racquet. I would like a larger clamp, the mid size for tennis seems ok.

19. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

To me it looks like a tennis racket. But it seems to be kind of mid size like you said. Says 29.95. maybe you have call them to order.

Are the person from Strasbourg? I saw a nice tecnifibre machine Courrières 62710. I saw at leboncoin

20. flyingcords

You were right, it's a tennis racquet. I saw the machine on leboncoin, it's far away from where I live. Thank you for telling me.
    I use Yonex flying clamps on a Pro's Pro challenger. It works well, but with thin gauge strings, like bg66 or gtone5 I have issues sometimes. So I'm interested in those kind of clamps for this reason. I'm sure they work better for thin strings. I'm planning to buy this one :

https://www.stringersworld.com/tennis/stringing-tools/rab-flying-clamp-badminton/