Victor new VBS strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Anthony Carey, Feb 23, 2018.

1. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I have now used these strings a lot and they were well received by Victor sponsored players at the Spanish Open. Most of the players tested 66 and loved it! Kirsty Gilmour has 70 and loves that too. Tabling from Holland preferred 63. All of these rackets were restrung around 30lbs.

we didn't have any issues with string breakage whilst stringing. Of course, we expect players to break strings at their level of play so there is no way we can do any kind of durability testing with them.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

yan2xp likes this.
  2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I tried 68P and 69 and didn't really like either of them.

On prestretch they both stretched a huge amount, a lot more than I had expected. Both are soft strings and although I thought they would feel like their Yonex counterparts (VBS68P = BG80P, VBS69 = NBG99) they really felt nothing like them. The 68P was more lively of the two and was evident when playing drives as the shuttle actually travelled slightly faster/further compared with the 69 but both to me lacked feel and control. There was a sense of uncertainty with these strings, like I'm not fully in control. A springy feeling from the 68P which I don't like and the 69 just felt a bit dull.

Sound was ok, not spectacular but as I strung them at 34lb it was always going to sound fairly good.

Can't comment on the durability as I've not had them long enough.

I've also strung another racquet with 68C which I have yet to try. This string is supposed to be a hard string but also seemed to stretch a little bit more than VS890/NBG99 when prestretching. Very nice to restring with as the string is very compliant but stiff enough not to tangle easily.

I've not had the chance to play with this yet but initial feeling from bouncing the shuttle seems like this may be the one I will prefer of the 3 I have tried. I'll give them all a bit more time and will report back with my findings!

Gpower likes this.
  3. Tommy.Yumo

Tommy.Yumo Regular Member

Just tried VBS 68. This string feels harder than BG80 and has more of a bite to it. Can't comment on tension loss yet as I've only tried it right after stringing.

Javier Primos and ucantseeme like this.
  4. Javier Primos

Javier Primos New Member

How was the tension loss, please?

5. Javier Primos

Javier Primos New Member

Could you please tell me where you bought the VBS 68from, please? Can't find any UK sellers :(

#25 Javier Primos, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Javier Primos likes this.
  7. Javier Primos

Javier Primos New Member

8. bjt1

bjt1 Regular Member

Has anyone tried them? Especially the 66. Ive tried one not shown in the picture: vbs 68 control which plays a lot like bg 80 with better durability. But have recently found to like a softer 66um/lining no1 type string more.

Attached Files:

9. KWSKJP

KWSKJP Regular Member

VBS66 is abit like Ashaway 62F but softer though not as soft as Ashaway 66FP. Pretty decent.

VBS63 is like Yonex Aerosonic with the slipperyness of Yonex 68TI. Tension loss is like LN1.

boby and kwun like this.
  10. TongYunLo

TongYunLo New Member

I recently purchased the VBS 69 Nano (reel) from Mybadmintonstore. I was wondering how people liked this string? Currently, I'm using Ashaway 69 Fire for over a year and I really enjoy this string. It's been wonderful, but there is some slight tension drop. The VBS 69 looks promising as it seems to have quite a bit of repulsion and great durability. I generally prefer thicker gauge strings as I tend to break the thinner gauge ones quite easily. i.e. I break BG 80's after a week or two of playing.

11. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

After trying VBS 68 Control at 27lbs & 28 lbs with 2 knot method..

String most similar to: BG 80. Has similar initial tension loss on the first 3 days, plays very slightly less hard, but has a bit more power. Tension loss after the initial plateau seems better, and it broke in 2-3 months, which seems about the same as BG 80. But they play similar enough that they are interchangeable imo.

If I had the option to choose one as a main string, I'd take VBS 68C. BG 80 is good but I thought the durability was bad because the tension loosened too quickly after the inital settling, which is the number one thing I look for in a string. It makes me want to cut it after 10-15 hours of playing time, and from there on, it constantly loses tension until it feels horrible. VBS 68C, I'd want to cut after maybe 20-30 hours of playing time, and from there on, it doesn't rapidly lose tension like the 80. It would lose tension, but at a lower rate, although not as slowly as a thick string like BG 65.

Key difference is that you don't mind playing with VBS 68C until it breaks, because it will still be relatively playable until it naturally snaps because the tension does sort of settle. Meanwhile, BG 80 doesn't make you want to not cut the strings, because it will never settle because it loses tension more rapidly even after a while, until it feels completely unplayable.

VBS 68C is a good compromise between the 80 and 65. Durability is closer to 80 than the 65, but it is better because the tension loss seems better. But playability is much superior to 65. If you ever wanted a string that played like BG 80 but loses tension less quickly, this is it.

#31 ChocoChipWaffle, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    TongYunLo and R20190 like this.
  12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You've basically summarised my thoughts entirely on this string. Previously I was using VS890 but this string kept on snapping quite spontaneously so I tried the VBS68P which was rubbish and then the VBS68C which I immediately liked. It as was just hard enough but not too hard (unlike BG80) and it retained tension very well. Good all round string. It could do with a bit more feel if I'm being fussy but it's good enough as my go to string now.

#32 R20190, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  13. Benjarni

Benjarni New Member

Has anyone tried the VBS70? If so, how does it compare to the Yonex BG65ti?

14. TongYunLo

TongYunLo New Member

I just tried the VBS-68 strings on an Astrox 88s (4UG5) strung at 27-28lbs. The initial feeling on them is certainly hard. They are quite repulsive and provide some really good feedback. Drop shots were okay, but I need to play with the strings some more to provide better feedback. Smashes are tremendous. I'd consider them the same feeling as BG-80, but I haven't noticed any tension loss yet. I played for approximately 2.5 hours. The strings have yet to settle in and still move quite a bit. I had to re-adjust the strings after every rally. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with these strings and currently favor them over the Ashaway 69 Fire I normally use. I can't comment on the durability yet, but I feel they may break in a few months?

#34 TongYunLo, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  15. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

Has anyone tried vbs 66n? Any comments to the tension loss as compared to zymax strings? 66F or 62F

16. TongYunLo

TongYunLo New Member

I realized that I've actually been playing with the VBS 69N, not the VBS 68....However, the VBS 69 is a great string, I would consider using this string over my Ashaway 69 Fire. The string feels much thinner than the Ashaway strings, but much more repulsive. The tension loss is quite minimal and my shots sound and feel amazing compared to the Ashaway strings. Of course, the VBS 69N isn't going to be as sharp or have the same feeling as other thinner gauge strings. But, if you are a strong and physical player that likes to hit bombs but use a bit of touch and want to get the most life out of your strings without breaking your budget. This is the string to go. I'll definitely consider purchasing a 200m reel of this string once I finish out my Ashaway strings.

17. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

hi guys, another question. how can you compare BG 66UM and VBS 66N when it comes to hitting sound? Let me know if this question is already answered.

18. boby

boby Regular Member

ussually i use bg66um or bg80p, unfortunately it's out of stock at the shop. so, I give a try vbs63 and vbs66n.

vbs63 at 26lbs. i feel a bit softer than bg66um but more repulsive. (maybe it's more comparable with aerosonic). snapped 3 weeks.

vbs66n at 25lbs. i feel similar dragging air like a .68mm gauge string and a bit less repulsive than bg66um. maybe it's more comparable with nbg98.

imo... vbs and yonex string feel similar. maybe both come from the same factories. :D

Rommel Alastra likes this.
  19. Croavistar

Croavistar Regular Member

I quite agree VBS66N has the performance of NBG98 but certainly not as slippery nor unpredictably bouncy as the latter. In fact i felt it was more of the NBG98 that i wished could be. I actually find VBS63 slightly harder than BG66UM but much more slippery and dreadfully dead even quicker than the latter.

freeter and Rommel Alastra like this.
  20. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

How well does 66N do in regards to tension retention when compared to 66UM and BG80? Can you rank the 3?

#40 ChocoChipWaffle, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020