Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BennDaVinci, Jan 20, 2019.

1. BennDaVinci

BennDaVinci Regular Member

My friend said coaching is a waste of money might as well get a machine and train together rather than wasting money. But machines are expensive but it cost the same as the price for coaching in 3 years time. Is there a way to make a machine that is cheap I do not know how to work with wires and it’s best if there are parts that can snap just like legos.

2. LewLewZ

LewLewZ New Member

IMHO, your friend's advice is a waste of time, ha.
    Coaching alone is not going to turn you from amateur from pro its a bit of nonsense to claim its a waste of money and its better to get a machine.

What level are you? If you are a beginner it would be quite difficult to practise using a machine on your own, a machine won't be able to teach you the correct strokes, correct your techniques, give you instant feedback on how you perform.
    Plus the additional hurdles where you'll need to maintain the machine, setup before you use every time, carry it to and from the courts.

I had played with a badminton serving machine before, its fun if you know what you are doing and it do well as a supplementary tool, but I wouldn't say it replaces a coach, after all you don't practise you play against a serving machine :)

LenaicM and phihag like this.
  3. BennDaVinci

I don’t like coaching that much it costs me 38$ for face to face training. I prefer using a machine if there’s a very cheap one

4. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Coaching from a good coach is pure gold! Especially at the beginning EVERYONE makes a lot of mistakes and later it is very difficult to correct them. Badminton is not an easy sport and you need a good technique and especially a good footwork.

But the question is what is your goal? If you're just playing for fun without ambition, you don't need a coach. But you don't need a machine for sure! There are great and many exercises for two players to train everything.

Maybe a club is something for you? There you can also get free training.

LenaicM and BennDaVinci like this.
  5. BennDaVinci

Me and my friend wanted to invest on a machine to train together. We went through 5 coaches and non of them teached properly. We aren’t consider as pro players we are considered as intermediate. I’m looking for someone who knows mechanical engineering to recommend parts to build one. P.s the 5 coaches lost to a duel with the both of us (singles)

6. BennDaVinci

Training is expensive in my country. We lost about 248 usd per year. Oh and we like training with machine but we went and asked if we can rent it they said no.

7. BennDaVinci

My goal is to have fun with my friends. But we are not having fun while waiting for others to finish and horrible coaches. When we arrived early we challenged the coach for a duel but at last the coach lost. I’m in a school club. I’m selected as the president. Every session we play together no coaching session.

8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Have a look at my thread: https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/video-singles-progression.169770/

I started this thread without coaching ( practising with a friend beforehand a little too). I ran out of ideas on how to improve. it was not just hours of practice i needed, but ideas on what to improve, and how exactly to do it.

So I came to badmintoncentral.com to get ideas. And I tested these ideas, and i improved gradually. One of the pointers was for me to get a coach, and just like you, I did not think it would be worth it.

Anyway, half a year later, in the thread I got a coach. You can watch my last video to see my current form, which I am quite sure is MUCH stronger than I would be without coaching. Two things here though: 1) I could beat one of my coaches - he is older and I am physically stronger. There is only so much his body can do, but I am paying for his knowledge, not his body. 2) My current coach can easily beat me, but that does not necessarily make him a good coach. In fact, in my thread some comments push me to look into other options because perhaps my coach isn't pushing me the right direction.

A good coach is more than just feeding you shuttles. A good coach will shape your techniques giving you power and accuracy in ALL situations. A good coach will correct bad habits that you don't realise you are developing, before they become injuries. A good coach will teach you how to play smartly. A good coach doesn't need to beat you, they need you to beat everyone else.

ubootsg, CRZ-ZF1, BennDaVinci and 3 others like this.
  9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I seem to remember that there is was a thread a few weeks ago that showed off a cheap shuttle feeder. I suggest you buy a cheap shuttle feeding machine, rather than trying to make one. The cost of prototyping and getting it wrong will not be worth the cost compared to just buying one that already is proven to work. Yes there are some very expensive (good) machines - but you don't have to buy one of those. Buy a cheap one instead.

I agree with the others about coaching - having a good coach is invaluable. However, in order for coaching to work well you need to invest a considerable amount of time and energy. You would want to have regular coaching with a GOOD coach for about 6 months, probably requiring 2 hours a week coaching. $38 for a one hour session would be considered cheap in the UK. If you got that price for 6 months of 2 hours a week, that would be 2 hours * 4 weeks * 6 months * $38 = $1,824. And that's for 6 months coaching. Goodness only knows what you expected to achieve spending $248 a year... Thats less than one lesson per month! Ridiculous.

My real question is: why do you need a machine? If you have a friend you can train with:
    Spend a few hours for 2 weeks learning how to feed shuttles with your racket.
    Spend the next few years lifting shuttles to each other and doing multi feed drills.
    As you progress, then start doing competitive sparing drills.

To be honest, having the sparring partner to train with is the hard bit for most people (because you need that even if you have a machine and a coach). You can post your videos here and coaches will give you advice... why do you need a machine?

CRZ-ZF1 and visor like this.
  10. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

what kind of machine you are looking for? A machine that shoot shuttle or feed shuttle? The better question would be what are you trying to accomplish with a machine?

I have seen tablet app that you hang at the net for footwork movement where you move to certain spot as the app tell you to.

There are also people that put a big black blanket to cover the entire net vertically to play badminton. This way you can't see thru the net or your opponent's movement making it harder for you to anticipate shots.

Coaching improves your game efficiency. If this is not achieved, then proper communication to the coach is needed or switch out coach. It's unfortunately the coach in your area cannot deliver what you wanted.

LenaicM likes this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

5 coaches and none of them taught you anything? You must be very unlucky or the coaches over there are for the majority unqualified. I’m also not sure you guys beating them means anything as they might not have play seriously in terms of their own performances and try to analyze you or push you to perform a certain action to check your techniques and movements.

12. BennDaVinci

Is there a machine that shoot shuttle that can be controlled and cheap?

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member